• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

sull1102

Judging by the most recent pics this will be slightly straighter than the Triple was and probably end looker's left of the old line. Maybe a new trail to the right of Showboat too.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Judging by the most recent pics this will be slightly straighter than the Triple was and probably end looker's left of the old line. Maybe a new trail to the right of Showboat too.

Another line that's always roped off. It was always there behind the patrollers shack.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is a bit of a surprise. Posted on Ragged FB page. https://www.facebook.com/RaggedMoun...6876783689032/796876563689054/?type=1&theater

10628291_796876563689054_8849046284034331709_n.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
1st tower is basically where the load station of the old spear was. So, it appears the lift will start a bit closer to the lodge than the old lift did.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
1st tower is basically where the load station of the old spear was. So, it appears the lift will start a bit closer to the lodge than the old lift did.

Yeah, that's it. I was thinking the pit they were excavating was to be filling in with the bottom terminal itself so to see the first tower there instead puts the terminal much farther back. Who was it that was saying that's what they'd hoped? Seems you got it.

Quietman

If you look at the base of the Rocket, tower 1 is right in front of the base terminal. I think that your seeing the same setup for the new Spear lift.

rocketquad-2013-0313d.jpg
rocketquad-2013-0313c.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you look at the base of the Rocket, tower 1 is right in front of the base terminal. I think that your seeing the same setup for the new Spear lift.

attachment.php

attachment.php

yes absolutely, but where that 1st spear tower is installed is right about where the old load point was. So, that will bring the new lift load point 40 or so feet back. Some people want that. I never really had an issue with where the old lift started.

In the long run with how the two new lifts are situated, I think Ragged my look back and think it was a mistake to have the six pack be a one sided load as opposed to a straight loading point where you can have lift line Qeues on both sides. Most of the traffic heading towards the Six comes from the skiers right side of the lift. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have skiers have to circle around to the other side to load.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
In the long run with how the two new lifts are situated, I think Ragged my look back and think it was a mistake to have the six pack be a one sided load as opposed to a straight loading point where you can have lift line Qeues on both sides. Most of the traffic heading towards the Six comes from the skiers right side of the lift. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have skiers have to circle around to the other side to load.

Not only a huge PITA in terms of skating a long ways, but you also have to people dodge at the same time, so you can't tuck and straightline it.

sull1102

The six's line is really poorly designed, why they thought it was a good idea to force people all the way around even 85% of terrain on the main peak comes down on the other side. Spear being closer is going to be nice on quiet days, but it'll be a horror show on weekends.

dlague

yes absolutely, but where that 1st spear tower is installed is right about where the old load point was. So, that will bring the new lift load point 40 or so feet back. Some people want that. I never really had an issue with where the old lift started.

Not only a huge PITA in terms of skating a long ways, but you also have to people dodge at the same time, so you can't tuck and straightline it.

The six's line is really poorly designed, why they thought it was a good idea to force people all the way around even 85% of terrain on the main peak comes down on the other side. Spear being closer is going to be nice on quiet days, but it'll be a horror show on weekends.

All points are right on! The area right below the Six Pack (circled in red below) gets way to much traffic (on weekends). You have people returning from the Spear and beginners from Barnyard, people just walking through there after dropping skis, to people heading to the lift line and add to that those people standing around - right there! The preferred path is to go through where the green arrow is pointing but.... where the blue line is marks where they hold races and seems to end just below where the green arrow points. I generally will try to crank it around but almost always have to skate a little but not as much as the area that is congested. Skating through that traffic is often difficult too. I do think if the terminal is too far down that there will definitely be too much going on in that area.

I almost took out an old guy one time because I came in a little too fast to try and make it around - I have seen others have close calls there too! Seems like a liability.

Ragged_Mountain_Resort_4_340641.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I typically try and cut over above the lift as well. That becomes the obvious best route to those who are familiar with the mountain. For those new to the area, they may not recognize this and hence get stuck in the two way conga line / obstacle course where you have circled red. Also, those skiing the park, Lower Ridge, Reggae Glades etc., don't have the option of cutting above the lift.

I doubt they'd be able to adjust the load point on the lift without incurring a major expense. It's a real head scratcher though. If they had to go with a one side load, one would think having the load on the opposite side would've made more sense when it was installed years ago. That's where the lodge is and the vast majority of skier traffic comes from.