• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It should be noted that it's easy to cut around the six if you're coming down Village Green but if you're coming off Wild Side, Raggae Glades, Lower Ridge or Easy Winder you are forced to take the low road. It makes matters worse if it's a race day and it seems no one puts their skis on the rack.

As Ragged gets more popular this area will turn more and more into a zoo.

It should also be noted that the six pack was installed by the bone headed former owners who deserved to lose the area and that present management has inherited a lot of head aches. One of which was apparently a botched attempt to put a culvert across Showboat. Since that was never developed the area turned itself into a wet land so special permits were needed to facilitate the new chair installation.

machski

I seem to recall they got the summit six because they were able to jump in on a lift that was canceled last minute by another resort. If said lift had been ordered with a side load and already built for the previous customer, I'm sure Ragged had to take it as built for the discount they got. So yes, not the ideal load but my guess is this is the reason it is the way it is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That makes sense machski. The Six predates my exposure to Ragged, but as I understand it the prior owners didn't have deep pockets and were kind of "hacks" when it came to running a ski area. Getting the lift on discount would explain it's current set up.

Here's a question. If the lift was bought as a side load and assuming it can't be changed to a traditional straight load, I wonder if it would be possible to change the orientation to load from the other side. Aside from running the gears in the opposite direction and putting on new chairlift grips, all that would be required is moving the bottom and top lift shacks (bottom being very expensive as it houses the engine) to the alternate side. Not cheap, but I would think it would be option.

That would solve the current problem several here are addressing. And looking towards the future with Pinnacle Peak coming online, an even greater amount of traffic will be coming from the skiers right side of the lift. Not a high priority today, but I'll be interested to see if they do change the orientation years down the line.

Smellytele

I think another solution is to also have a line on the other side but bring it around to meet up with the other side. Some reconfiguration of the line itself not the load could help out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've thought about that. The challenge is there is so very little space between the lift and the lodges to do it.

dlague

I've thought about that. The challenge is there is so very little space between the lift and the lodges to do it.

The simplest solution - tear down the small building closest to six pack to make more room and start the line at the bottom of the lift rather than off to the side! No one would have to ski around an the traffic would be reduced to a great degree!

machski

DHS, swinging the lift the other way would likely require a ton of re-engineering. The towers and carrier sheaves are set to handle the rider weights on one side for ski lifts so you would need to swap out all those on every tower as well as base terminal equip. Pretty pricey.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No doubt. It would be a considerable expense. Probably never happen. Just thinking of solutions to what is currently a problem at Ragged.

Maybe it won't be as much of an issue when Pinnacle Peak comes online though. There's some decent pitch and a tad more vertical over there. I hope the trail designs are good without numerous intersections like you experience on Ragged proper. If done right, it could be the main crowd draw on the mountain.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The simplest solution - tear down the small building closest to six pack to make more room and start the line at the bottom of the lift rather than off to the side! No one would have to ski around an the traffic would be reduced to a great degree!

That is one of the newest buildings. It showcases the future development of the resort. It has a nifty diorama of the ski area. Ask to check it out next time you're there. Other than that I agree it's in a bad spot.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

That is one of the newest buildings. It showcases the future development of the resort. It has a nifty diorama of the ski area. Ask to check it out next time you're there. Other than that I agree it's in a bad spot.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I have seen it when the new ownership took over! That is pretty cool. But .....