• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

South American Ski Season Officially Kicks Off!

dlague

Wow looks amazing! I am already getting stoked about 2014-2015 - just don't tell my wife!

MadMadWorld

In the Andes it really is ski it while you can. They can go weeks without snow and then overnight get a few feet. Only been once but it was quite the experience

Cannonball

In the Andes it really is ski it while you can. They can go weeks without snow and then overnight get a few feet. Only been once but it was quite the experience

Where did you go? Recommendations?

I have my flights booked already. Staying with friends in Santiago for a few days, and doing work further south. Planning ~4 days of snowboarding but haven't booked those details yet. Leaning towards staying at Valle Nevado. It seems pretty sweet on its own but it also shares tickets with El Colorado and La Parva.

MadMadWorld

I have my flights booked already. Staying with friends in Santiago for a few days, and doing work further south. Planning ~4 days of snowboarding but haven't booked those details yet. Leaning towards staying at Valle Nevado. It seems pretty sweet on its own but it also shares tickets with El Colorado and La Parva.

Yea Tres Valles is the way to go if you are staying in Santiago. Some people like Valle Nevado but I preferred La Parva. Definitely some cool slackcountry at Valle Nevado though. Even foreigners like me didn't get lost. It's pretty easy to bounce between resorts (think Attitash/Bear Peak interconnect). I was pretty disappointed with Portillo. If the side country stuff isn't an option then things get boring quickly. If you have a few extra bucks you NEED to check out Ski Arpa. It's a cat only operation on some really gnarly terrain. They did the Freeride Tour there the year I went. It was well worth the investment IMO. It's about 2 hours from Santiago. On a side note, if you get car sick easily don't take the shuttle bus from Santiago up to Tres Valles. If you need to yack they will not wait for you so bring a bag or get private transport. Let me know if you want any other recommendations. My wife and I have a few friends in Santiago and the coast. It was an amazing trip and very jealous!

I forgot to add when we were at La Parva the snow was really good and some of the hike to terrain was awesome. If you hike up lookers left above the summit chair there is a nice ridge with a couloir and other fun stuff. I think one is Chimnea and the other I think is called McConkey's now

Last edited:

dlague

I have been wanting to go to Valle Nevado for years and I am getting close to convincing my wife that we should do it! Japan is also on my list!

Cannonball

Yea Tres Valles is the way to go if you are staying in Santiago. Some people like Valle Nevado but I preferred La Parva. Definitely some cool slackcountry at Valle Nevado though. Even foreigners like me didn't get lost. It's pretty easy to bounce between resorts (think Attitash/Bear Peak interconnect). I was pretty disappointed with Portillo. If the side country stuff isn't an option then things get boring quickly. If you have a few extra bucks you NEED to check out Ski Arpa. It's a cat only operation on some really gnarly terrain. They did the Freeride Tour there the year I went. It was well worth the investment IMO. It's about 2 hours from Santiago. On a side note, if you get car sick easily don't take the shuttle bus from Santiago up to Tres Valles. If you need to yack they will not wait for you so bring a bag or get private transport. Let me know if you want any other recommendations. My wife and I have a few friends in Santiago and the coast. It was an amazing trip and very jealous!

I forgot to add when we were at La Parva the snow was really good and some of the hike to terrain was awesome. If you hike up lookers left above the summit chair there is a nice ridge with a couloir and other fun stuff. I think one is Chimnea and the other I think is called McConkey's now

NICE! Thanks for those tips. Especially the car sickness piece. My wife gets sooooo car sick. That would be a bad way to start this trip.

Wanna take me? Is the better half going too?

Yup, she's coming. Of course you can't come....that would ruin the whole point of rubbing it in.

MadMadWorld

NICE! Thanks for those tips. Especially the car sickness piece. My wife gets sooooo car sick. That would be a bad way to start this trip.

Yup, she's coming. Of course you can't come....that would ruin the whole point of rubbing it in.

My wife gets car sick really bad and the road up to the ski areas is BAD. If I remember it's like 30 or 40 switchbacks up into the valley. It's not worth the amount of money you save with the bus.