Bear Brook State Park - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Heading out there in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Heading out there in a couple hours.
    Well that is a little quick for most of us!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Well that is a little quick for most of us!
    yeah, im a bit spontaneous. It's really hard for me to plan anything more than a couple days in advance...my schedule is whacked.

Anyhow I changed my mind and am going to Horse hill, which is rapidly growing into another southern NH gem.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    yeah, im a bit spontaneous. It's really hard for me to plan anything more than a couple days in advance...my schedule is whacked.

Anyhow I changed my mind and am going to Horse hill, which is rapidly growing into another southern NH gem.
    Looks cool! Is there a designation or meaning with respect to colors used on trail maps? I noticed on the map I liked to and the map at Horse Hill use multiple colors.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Looks cool! Is there a designation or meaning with respect to colors used on trail maps? I noticed on the map I liked to and the map at Horse Hill use multiple colors.

I think the colors are just there to differentiate.

Lots of good new stuff not on the map yet. Blodgett hill is a good area to start. Also if you follow that purple trail (quarry), cross the road and poke around theres lots of new unmapped singetrack. High quality built

I'm glad that the topic of Bear Brook was brought up. I "discovered" it last fall and it just gorgeous. I made a promise to myself to come back as soon as the mud season was over with. Here we are, beginning of summer and I haven't made my trip up, even though it's an easy drive from Boston.
    Thanks for sharing the stoke. I'll put this on my calendar soon. Oh, thanks for putting up the map. It is much better than the Park's copy.
    Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    I'm glad that the topic of Bear Brook was brought up. I "discovered" it last fall and it just gorgeous. I made a promise to myself to come back as soon as the mud season was over with. Here we are, beginning of summer and I haven't made my trip up, even though it's an easy drive from Boston.
    Thanks for sharing the stoke. I'll put this on my calendar soon. Oh, thanks for putting up the map. It is much better than the Park's copy.
    Yup the parks copy is tough to read IMO.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

I hiked in Bear Brook yesterday afternoon with my dog. Goal was to do a little exploring and get some exercise in---figured on a couple miles.
    I started on the Bear Brook trail after parking at the lot closest to the Archery pond (I came in from the East on Middle Rd)
    Bear Brook trail to Cascade and finally up the the top of Catamount Hill. Took longer than I expected with lots of up and downs.
    Nothing to see at the wooded summit but I did find the 2 overlooks a bit further down that were ok. I ten attempted to go down to 1 Mile trail but got a bit confused due to lack of signage at what I later realized was the bottom.
    So I hiked back up the Bear Brook trail to where it met Cascade again and followed that down and around and out. My dog and I were happy to get back to the car 6+ miles later. Saw only a couple people in the very beginning and end on bikes.

Its a nice park, you get the feeling of being remote wilderness given how big it is. The trail map the lady handed me was confusing at times combined with the lack of signage at trail intersections and the numerous off shoot trails that presumably are used by mtn bikers.

I'll go back with my wife and son but likely wont go to Catamount Hill again---we'll try and explore the central/SE corner of the park next time.
    2017-18
    Wildcat 11/19, 11/25
    Cannon 12/2

2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Thread Information