• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nautical Charts

Cannonball

My work is moving and they are clearing out the file cabinets and offices. There are hundreds of paper nautical charts heading for the dumpster. I hate to see it happen. If anybody has an interest in having some let me know and I'll pull some out. I've already saved a hundred or so for myself and friends.

I could probably grab them all and sell them off on eBay but I don't feel like dealing with that and I don't plan to be storing them at my house endlessly. There's nothing super old. They are mostly 1960's to 1980's. Locations are all over the place. East Coast, West Coast, Gulf, Europe, Africa, etc. I've taken most of MA & ME for myself. There are still a lot of Long Island etc.

twinplanx

Hello yeah! I'll take some Long Island nautical charts...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

octopus

i'll take whatever MA, NH, ME you got left. any canada, alaska or florida available?:smile:

Cannonball

i'll take whatever MA, NH, ME you got left. any canada, alaska or florida available?:smile:

I took a lot of the AK, from the places I've been. But there is still a lot of Southeast AK and Aleutians in the pile.Some Newfi, but not much else from Can. TONS of FL! I'll pull those out as well.

Great to see some interest, it breaks my hear to see them trashed.

Edd

Anything from WA state? I wish I'd kept maps I had while living there.

xwhaler

I will PM u later this wknd. Grew up sailing RI and Elizabethan chain and now running a Whaler around the NH seacoast. I told my wife about this and she was all about getting them framed and in our living room! Super cool of u. Can meet u or pay shipping

Cannonball

Anything from WA state? I wish I'd kept maps I had while living there.

Yup, quite a few. I know I saw some Bellingham, Puget Sound, and Juan De Fuca. Will grab them

I will PM u later this wknd. Grew up sailing RI and Elizabethan chain and now running a Whaler around the NH seacoast. I told my wife about this and she was all about getting them framed and in our living room! Super cool of u. Can meet u or pay shipping

Sounds good. There were definitely a few of Narraganset Bay and Nantucket Sound. Not so much NH.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you see any for Sarasota area of Florida, I'd love to grab one for my parents as they are retired there. I could meet you in Manchester on one of your trips from Mass to Lincoln.

Cannonball

If you see any for Sarasota area of Florida, I'd love to grab one for my parents as they are retired there. I could meet you in Manchester on one of your trips from Mass to Lincoln.

I'll look. There were a lot from FL, but I don't have much connection to there so I didn't pay much attention to details. Good chance there's one or two. Yeah, can hit up you and Edd maybe in one shot. You guys live near each right?

Speaking of your neck of woods and nautical things. I got out on my friend's oyster farm in Great Bay the other day. WOW! What a gorgeous spot and what a great thing he's got going. If you see Fat Dog oysters on the menu don't miss the chance!!

Edd

Yeah, DHS or I could grab both, whoever hits you first.

The Great Bay is beautiful. Kayaking here at least a couple of times in the next few days. Gotta watch the tides though. I've nearly gotten landlocked out in the middle of the bay.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Speaking of your neck of woods and nautical things. I got out on my friend's oyster farm in Great Bay the other day. WOW! What a gorgeous spot and what a great thing he's got going. If you see Fat Dog oysters on the menu don't miss the chance!!

Yeah, Great Bay is pretty awesome. I feel fortunate to live so close to it and often roam the shores on local hiking trails. Wish I had a boat to experience it by water.

Where does your buddy sell his oysters? How are they? The restaurant I work at sells "local Blue points", but I've always associated Blue Points with Long Island. Been meaning to ask the chef about that.

steamboat1

Cannonball

Thanks Obama !!!

NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey, which creates and maintains the nation’s suite of over a thousand nautical charts of U.S. coastal waters, today announced major changes ahead for mariners and others who use nautical charts. Starting April 13, 2014, the federal government will no longer print traditional lithographic (paper) nautical charts

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/news/2013/papercharts.html
NOAA Announces End of Traditional Paper Nautical Charts

I don't know if Obama should get the credit, but it was definitely a good decision whoever it was made by. It was such a waste of money and resources to be continually cranking out paper maps that nobody was using. Take my firm for example: why do you thin they are throwing hundreds of them away? Electronic charts are more useful, and more importantly they are more accurate since they are updated in near real-time. NOAA still offers print-on-demand paper charts. This was also a much needed technology that helped end the wastefulness of mass producing obsolete paper charts.

I have a love for the look and feel of old nautical charts. I also have love for old hand tools. But in both cases I'd rather be using the new technologies to actually work with.

dlague

My work is moving and they are clearing out the file cabinets and offices. There are hundreds of paper nautical charts heading for the dumpster. I hate to see it happen. If anybody has an interest in having some let me know and I'll pull some out. I've already saved a hundred or so for myself and friends.

I could probably grab them all and sell them off on eBay but I don't feel like dealing with that and I don't plan to be storing them at my house endlessly. There's nothing super old. They are mostly 1960's to 1980's. Locations are all over the place. East Coast, West Coast, Gulf, Europe, Africa, etc. I've taken most of MA & ME for myself. There are still a lot of Long Island etc.

I would be interested in one. While our living room has a ski theme our workout room is going to have a beach/ocean theme.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

Any chance you have anything for Norther Virginia/ocean city maryland region? My parents have a place in Chincoteague Va on the shore. Would make a cool gift for their wall.

If you have one, could I paypal you $ to ship?

Cannonball

Any chance you have anything for Norther Virginia/ocean city maryland region? My parents have a place in Chincoteague Va on the shore. Would make a cool gift for their wall.

If you have one, could I paypal you $ to ship?

I'll look. I remember some from Potomac, so could be some nearby coastal ones too. I'll let you know.

octopus

a long time ago i did a trip from perth to sri lanka across the indian ocean, would you mind grabbing a few of those for me? if you have some

Geoff

I have a framed Buzzards Bay chart on the wall. I keep a chart book aboard the boat just in case I have a double electronic failure and both my GPS and my iPhone die. Paper charts are obsolete.