• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nautical Charts

jimk

Any chance you have anything for Northern Virginia/ocean city maryland region? My parents have a place in Chincoteague Va on the shore. Would make a cool gift for their wall.

If you have one, could I paypal you $ to ship?

I think OP is going to end up having to grab the whole pile of charts:razz:
I spent Memorial Day weekend at Chincoteague. First time there in about 30 years. Wife loved it, still rather quaint compared to OC and Rehoboth.
I used to work at NGA many moons ago in what was called the Hydrographic/Topographic Center. One time I found a chart in their library that depicted an obscure south Pacific island and nearby waters. It was WWII vintage and appeared to be hand-drawn by a Japanese soldier. I was tempted to requisition that item for personal use, but didn't. :slap:

ctenidae

I totally want some, but I can hear my wife already wanting to know what in the name of all that's good and holy I intend to do with the maps.

"Dunno, free maps" probably won't be a satisfactory answer.

wa-loaf

My work is moving and they are clearing out the file cabinets and offices. There are hundreds of paper nautical charts heading for the dumpster. I hate to see it happen. If anybody has an interest in having some let me know and I'll pull some out. I've already saved a hundred or so for myself and friends.

I could probably grab them all and sell them off on eBay but I don't feel like dealing with that and I don't plan to be storing them at my house endlessly. There's nothing super old. They are mostly 1960's to 1980's. Locations are all over the place. East Coast, West Coast, Gulf, Europe, Africa, etc. I've taken most of MA & ME for myself. There are still a lot of Long Island etc.

Got any RI stuff? My In Laws live near Westerly and Misquamicut beach. I'm sure they'd love to have something for their house.

Tin

Awesome stuff right here. I wont take a chart but I'll buy you a beer.

My GF makes all sorts of cool stuff out of old charts and is quite the sailor. My favorite are probably coasters like these. Her brother is actually the president of South Street Seaport Museum in NYC.

coaster.jpg

Cannonball

Awesome stuff right here. I wont take a chart but I'll buy you a beer.

My GF makes all sorts of cool stuff out of old charts and is quite the sailor. My favorite are probably coasters like these. Her brother is actually the president of South Street Seaport Museum in NYC.

View attachment 12875

Very cool! I actually have those coasters for my area (Marshfield). Lots of cool stuff I've seen made from old charts. Besides the coasters I have a couple tide clocks with charts as the background. And lately I've seen a lot of guys doing fish prints on to charts...

1128_out_of_blue_.jpg

Geoff

I bought my marine chart marble coasters from an outfit in Providence, RI called Screencraft. They showed up in 3 or 4 days after the custom order.

http://www.screencraftgifts.com/

I have 4 coasters of my end of Buzzards Bay and 4 of my harbor

14505053472_406916848c.jpg

I also have a clock in my bedroom with the local chart

14483037236_bea9978d99.jpg

Last edited:

Cannonball

Alright, I went through most (but not all ) of them. Here's what I found so far.....

Hello yeah! I'll take some Long Island nautical charts...

Tons of them. All yours.

i'll take whatever MA, NH, ME you got left. any canada, alaska or florida available?:smile:

Not much MA or NH (and I'm keeping some of what's there). Some good ones from ME, AK, and FL. I'll make up a selection.

Anything from WA state? I wish I'd kept maps I had while living there.

At least 20 form that area. Puget, the peninsula, Bellingham. You can have as many of them as you want. Let's talk about which ones, or you can go through at some point.

If you see any for Sarasota area of Florida, I'd love to grab one for my parents as they are retired there. I could meet you in Manchester on one of your trips from Mass to Lincoln.

Dude, this is the only one on this whole list I haven't found. Although I think there may be some general FL ones.

I would be interested in one. While our living room has a ski theme our workout room is going to have a beach/ocean theme.

Well there's plenty left over even after these specific ones.

Any chance you have anything for Norther Virginia/ocean city maryland region? My parents have a place in Chincoteague Va on the shore. Would make a cool gift for their wall.

Yup, found Chincoteague

a long time ago i did a trip from perth to sri lanka across the indian ocean, would you mind grabbing a few of those for me? if you have some

Nope.

Got any RI stuff? My In Laws live near Westerly and Misquamicut beach. I'm sure they'd love to have something for their house.

Yup, a few of RI sound. all yours.

I have a buttload of stuff going on over the next few weeks. So I doubt I'll have time to meet up or ship these out. But I have them and they aren't going anywhere. So I'll chip away at that over the summer.

wa-loaf

Yup, a few of RI sound. all yours.

I have a buttload of stuff going on over the next few weeks. So I doubt I'll have time to meet up or ship these out. But I have them and they aren't going anywhere. So I'll chip away at that over the summer.

If you are in the Cambridge/Boston area during the week at all I can meetup with you sometime. Otherwise will figure something else out.

Thanks!

Edd

At least 20 form that area. Puget, the peninsula, Bellingham. You can have as many of them as you want. Let's talk about which ones, or you can go through at some point.

I'm assuming these things are pretty big, so I can realistically only use one. If there's one that shows the entire Puget sound, that would be great. I lived on Whidbey Island, so I'm hoping to cover that.

As far as picking them up, I'm pretty flexible about a meeting. Thanks again!

Cannonball

Reviving this thread. As listed a few posts above, I have a lot of these pulled out. Still would like to get these to you guys. Options:

- Many of you I may see on the slopes. I'll bring them up to NH for those opportunities. Keep me posted if you plan to be in the Cannon-Loon general area.
- People in Boston area. We can probably find a way to cross paths.
- Mailing: I sent some to Hawkshot. Cost ~$6 to ship. He covered it through paypal. It worked out pretty well. Can do that if you want.

Hawkshot99

Reviving this thread. As listed a few posts above, I have a lot of these pulled out. Still would like to get these to you guys. Options:

- Mailing: I sent some to Hawkshot. Cost ~$6 to ship. He covered it through paypal. It worked out pretty well. Can do that if you want.
Thank you very much. The maps are very cool looking. They are not pristine, but I like that. Makes it look like a special old map. I will have to post some pics after I give the maps to my parents. I framed them up as a gift for their anniversary.