Mountain Bike shopping

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mountain Bike shopping

Well this is something I've been wanting to get back into for a while, and I'm looking for a bike to purchase. I want to find a bike that is fit for both trail riding and going downhill over small jumps like those at the winter park/trestle bike park. Thinking full suspension.

I'm a relatively big guy (6'0"), so I would think I would need at least a large.

I'm looking at these bikes so far, any feedback would be appreciated seeing as I know very little about these newer bikes, I haven't really been into Mountain biking since I was a kid, and just like ski's the terminology and technology has changed quite a bit since then.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4536705293.html pricey-but thinking this is along the lines of what I'm looking for

http://denver.craigslist.org/bid/4509609404.html downhill bike-not sure if 2x9 will be good enough for uphill trail riding when needed

http://denver.craigslist.org/bid/4537024507.html hopefully a little bit of everything?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4538356020.html
    2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

First bike is in good shape and a good XC bike.
    Second bike is a boat anchor and won't climb uphill easily
    Third bike is outdated (has V-brakes) so stay away
    Forth bike, 29" wheels looks great although might be too big for you as it's an XL.

Just my $0.02
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Mountain Bike shopping

Thanks for your input. I may check out the last bike and see if it feels too big, I think I'm on the cusp of an xl
    2014/2015 Days - 58

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post
    First bike is in good shape and a good XC bike.
    Second bike is a boat anchor and won't climb uphill easily
    Third bike is outdated (has V-brakes) so stay away
    Forth bike, 29" wheels looks great although might be too big for you as it's an XL.

Just my $0.02
    I agree with Woodcore. To expand a little -

The first bike is an XL as well, so it might be too big. Also, as mentioned above, it should be a good XC machine... I wouldn't want to be doing much downhill type stuff with it.

2 looks good for your downhill requirement, but I don't think it would be a whole lot of fun for much else.

3 is too old to consider, outdated suspension components and geometry, plus v-brakes. Save yourself a headache and find something newer.

4 also looks XC orientated, so it may not be the best if you're looking for downhill like stuff.

Like anything there is no such thing as a bike that's good at everything. A bike that's good XC riding won't be good for DH and vice versa. It sounds like what you want to look for is a bike that's classified as all mountain, which means it's got geometry that's between a XC and DH bike and it's a little bit heavier duty than an XC, but not a overweight pig like a full DH bike. If you're talking about doing full on lift served DH then your best bet is probably to rent a DH bike instead of beating up your trail bike. Or, buy a XC/AM bike and a DH bike.
    Brian

Most importantly, make sure the bike fits! Don't settle on a frame that's "close enough"!
    Brian

Mountain Bike shopping

I know that asking for both XC and DH in a bike is like asking for a ski that is specifically designed to excel in both racing and powder; there has to be a trade off.

I'm not doing anything crazy downhill, so like you were saying bvibert I may try to find something that compromises a little of both.

But I let skiing use up most of my disposable income, I don't think I can justify forking out cash for 2 bikes

I'll see if I can find more links and post them here
    2014/2015 Days - 58

Bike number 4 is the winner for your local riding IMO. Front Range is pretty smooth but the climbs are very real and require an XC oriented bike. Honestly I would take your time and wait for the perfect bike, it'll come along....but if the 4th bike fits than it will be good for centennial cone, Buffalo Creek ect.....If you go to trestle rent a downhill rig

Mountain Bike shopping

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Honestly I would take your time and wait for the perfect bike, it'll come along....
    I would, if I knew what exactly I was looking for lol. Any particular models that come to mind?

Funny you mention centennial cone btw, I'm looking to buy land right by there and eventually build a house
    2014/2015 Days - 58

I'm riding a trance x and it seems to be a good compromise for climb and decent, it handled those long Colorado grinds pretty good. Last bike was a RM slayer and sucked on long climbs out west. Honestly a well spec'd hardtail with fun geometry would be pretty sweet on the front range, but if you go a few hours west (hint, you should) you maybe want some squish.

It's been 2 years I've been saying it but I also really want to get back into mountain biking. But I seriously don't know where I will find the time now? With these two kids under two (well, my son just turned two) it's been non-stop from dawn till' dusk every single day and weekend, haha.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information