• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Bike shopping

Puck it

Not knowing much about this bike, I read the reviews. 1 person exclaimed about how rugged it was, and the other 2 said it was flimsy. Not sure what to make of that
I was thinking this bike but I want more travel. I thought it was a great price.

snoseek

That's a pretty good price for sure and I bet it rides like a dream, steep discount but then again what were they thinking specing elixir 3 brakes on a fivek bike....All set with avid brakes in general.

I'm still a firm believer in buying used for getting into the sport. As the previous poster mentioned you definitely want to inspect all around and ride it but the savings are significant, Be patient and something perfect will come along. Maybe the seller(s) would let you take it for a afternoon so you get an idea of how it rides (leave a deposit?). I feel like its a good idea to try different wheel sizes, geometry and travel before making such a big purchase.

I did this a few years ago, got a 3k bike for 500 dollars, sank another 500 into brakes and drivetrain...then after beating the shit out of it for a couple years bought that shiny new bike. Lots of people drop big $$$ on bikes and barely ride them...take advantage of this.

MR. evil

I agree that your money can go much further when being a used bike. Plus with the take of of 650b / 27.5 bikes the used 26" bike market has hit rock bottom (good for the buyer, bad for the seller). But unless you are familiar with FS bikes (or you have a good friend that is) and know what to be on the look out for I would stay away from picking up a used FS bike. A way around that would be to ask the seller if you could take the bike to a bike shop for a once over.

skiNEwhere

Well I went to winter park (trestle) last Thursday and tried 2 separate enduro bikes, and both had the same issue of the chain coming off due to the fact there was no chain guard because they were 2x8 I believe.

I'm sadly coming to the realization that I really can't compromise here.

So I'm looking at a DH bike.

Thoughts on this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4543114797.html

I've read they are a durable bike, with the downside of them being heavier than the average DH.

bvibert

Staff member
Well I went to winter park (trestle) last Thursday and tried 2 separate enduro bikes, and both had the same issue of the chain coming off due to the fact there was no chain guard because they were 2x8 I believe.

I'm sadly coming to the realization that I really can't compromise here.

So I'm looking at a DH bike.

Thoughts on this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4543114797.html

I've read they are a durable bike, with the downside of them being heavier than the average DH.

They make chain guides for 2x drive trains. The Kona you posted a link to should have one on it, it's also a 2x (probably 9).

I don't know much about DH, so I can't help you much on the Stinky.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
I'd only go full DH if you were sure that was all you were going to do with the bike. Entry level DH bikes are going to be much heavier than more XC/Enduro oriented rigs, and not great for climbing or long XC rides.

If chain slap/retention is the only issue (versus wanting a 6"+ travel bike) there are much easier fixes.. You can always throw a chain guard on an XC/Enduro/All Mountain bike. Your LBS would be the best source of info on how to do that.

I also had an issue with chain retention when I took my Giant Trance to Highland for a day of downhill.. The chain kept popping off. I upgraded my deraileur to an XT "Plus" which has a chain tensioner that can be switched on/off, and the problem was solved.

skijay

I have a Kona with the "Magic Link" suspension which the Stinky looks to have. The goal with it, at least in the Freeride/Enduro bikes that they make is when you ascend it's suppose to shorten up the frame and make the bike easier to climb with. When you descend the frame stretches out to give you more stability.

If you go with that Stinky, make sure you go to a Kona dealer and get the "Magic Link" set properly. The red spring in my picture gets set based on your weight. I don't have the coil over type rear shock, just the Fox RPT with the lock outs.

The Kona bike, like any other FS bike is awesome when it's all set to your size & weight. The Stinky may have the advantage of being a better bike to climb with.

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 45

skijay

My chain hasn't popped off even when DHing at Mount Snow. I have very few chain slap scars. I do have the 2x drivetrain and there is a bash guard so maybe that keeps the chain on?

skiNEwhere

One of the bikes I had issues with at trestle was the trek slash 7. The chain came off a few times, and I even straight up broke the chain in half when pedaling up a short uphill section, although I think part of that was due to the fact that the chain was dry as hell.

Had issues with the detailer too. Not sure if it was a bad bike, the wrong type for what I was doing, or bad maintenance. I can't remember the other bike I used, I'll find out when I go back since the shop said they would let me rent another bike for free.

As far as enduro bikes, they only have

ENDURO BIKES
Bikes available in this package include:
Specialized Enduro Comp 29
Scott Genius 740
Trek Slash 7
Transition Covert 27.5

Skijay, how do you feel about the stinky in terms of weight? I hear they run kind of heavy

skijay

As far as enduro bikes, they only have

ENDURO BIKES
Bikes available in this package include:
Specialized Enduro Comp 29
Scott Genius 740
Trek Slash 7
Transition Covert 27.5

Skijay, how do you feel about the stinky in terms of weight? I hear they run kind of heavy

I don't have a Stinky, but I feel my coilair is on the heavy side in comparison to other type of XC bikes in the $2,500 to $3,000 price category (when new). To be honest once in motion I can't tell the difference that it's heavier than the competing bikes - only when it comes to transporting the bike!

snoseek

I hope you are either in spectacular shape cardio wise or just plan on riding park with that thing.

mightaswell

Love mine. Got a 2015 Giant Trance 27.5 2 about 6 weeks ago. Stellar bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
First bike is in good shape and a good XC bike.
Second bike is a boat anchor and won't climb uphill easily
Third bike is outdated (has V-brakes) so stay away
Forth bike, 29" wheels looks great although might be too big for you as it's an XL.

Just my $0.02

I'm showing my age. I remember when V-brakes were the newest, hottest thing. My bike still has V-brakes :sadwalk:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I agree that your money can go much further when being a used bike. Plus with the take of of 650b / 27.5 bikes the used 26" bike market has hit rock bottom (good for the buyer, bad for the seller). But unless you are familiar with FS bikes (or you have a good friend that is) and know what to be on the look out for I would stay away from picking up a used FS bike. A way around that would be to ask the seller if you could take the bike to a bike shop for a once over.

So 2 years ago I asked the question what was better 26-er or 29-er and 27.5 was just starting up.

Is 26 basically dying on the vine now? No one wants that anymore?

skiNEwhere

So 2 years ago I asked the question what was better 26-er or 29-er and 27.5 was just starting up.

Is 26 basically dying on the vine now? No one wants that anymore?

The Craigslist ad didn't say so I asked the seller, it's a 2010 with a 26 inch wheel. I was hoping for a 27.5 inch wheel to get the best of both worlds. Not sure if this will be a deal breaker for me