• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Bike shopping

skiNEwhere

Well this is something I've been wanting to get back into for a while, and I'm looking for a bike to purchase. I want to find a bike that is fit for both trail riding and going downhill over small jumps like those at the winter park/trestle bike park. Thinking full suspension.

I'm a relatively big guy (6'0"), so I would think I would need at least a large.

I'm looking at these bikes so far, any feedback would be appreciated seeing as I know very little about these newer bikes, I haven't really been into Mountain biking since I was a kid, and just like ski's the terminology and technology has changed quite a bit since then.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4536705293.html pricey-but thinking this is along the lines of what I'm looking for

http://denver.craigslist.org/bid/4509609404.html downhill bike-not sure if 2x9 will be good enough for uphill trail riding when needed

http://denver.craigslist.org/bid/4537024507.html hopefully a little bit of everything?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4538356020.html

WoodCore

First bike is in good shape and a good XC bike.
Second bike is a boat anchor and won't climb uphill easily
Third bike is outdated (has V-brakes) so stay away
Forth bike, 29" wheels looks great although might be too big for you as it's an XL.

Just my $0.02

skiNEwhere

Thanks for your input. I may check out the last bike and see if it feels too big, I think I'm on the cusp of an xl

bvibert

Staff member
First bike is in good shape and a good XC bike.
Second bike is a boat anchor and won't climb uphill easily
Third bike is outdated (has V-brakes) so stay away
Forth bike, 29" wheels looks great although might be too big for you as it's an XL.

Just my $0.02

I agree with Woodcore. To expand a little -

The first bike is an XL as well, so it might be too big. Also, as mentioned above, it should be a good XC machine... I wouldn't want to be doing much downhill type stuff with it.

2 looks good for your downhill requirement, but I don't think it would be a whole lot of fun for much else.

3 is too old to consider, outdated suspension components and geometry, plus v-brakes. Save yourself a headache and find something newer.

4 also looks XC orientated, so it may not be the best if you're looking for downhill like stuff.

Like anything there is no such thing as a bike that's good at everything. A bike that's good XC riding won't be good for DH and vice versa. It sounds like what you want to look for is a bike that's classified as all mountain, which means it's got geometry that's between a XC and DH bike and it's a little bit heavier duty than an XC, but not a overweight pig like a full DH bike. If you're talking about doing full on lift served DH then your best bet is probably to rent a DH bike instead of beating up your trail bike. Or, buy a XC/AM bike and a DH bike.

bvibert

Staff member
Most importantly, make sure the bike fits! Don't settle on a frame that's "close enough"!

skiNEwhere

I know that asking for both XC and DH in a bike is like asking for a ski that is specifically designed to excel in both racing and powder; there has to be a trade off.

I'm not doing anything crazy downhill, so like you were saying bvibert I may try to find something that compromises a little of both.

But I let skiing use up most of my disposable income, I don't think I can justify forking out cash for 2 bikes

I'll see if I can find more links and post them here

snoseek

Bike number 4 is the winner for your local riding IMO. Front Range is pretty smooth but the climbs are very real and require an XC oriented bike. Honestly I would take your time and wait for the perfect bike, it'll come along....but if the 4th bike fits than it will be good for centennial cone, Buffalo Creek ect.....If you go to trestle rent a downhill rig

skiNEwhere

Honestly I would take your time and wait for the perfect bike, it'll come along....

I would, if I knew what exactly I was looking for lol. Any particular models that come to mind?

Funny you mention centennial cone btw, I'm looking to buy land right by there and eventually build a house

snoseek

I'm riding a trance x and it seems to be a good compromise for climb and decent, it handled those long Colorado grinds pretty good. Last bike was a RM slayer and sucked on long climbs out west. Honestly a well spec'd hardtail with fun geometry would be pretty sweet on the front range, but if you go a few hours west (hint, you should) you maybe want some squish.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's been 2 years I've been saying it but I also really want to get back into mountain biking. But I seriously don't know where I will find the time now? With these two kids under two (well, my son just turned two) it's been non-stop from dawn till' dusk every single day and weekend, haha.

skiNEwhere

BackLoafRiver

Next batch:
Trying to find all mountain

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4539073151.html may be too small though

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4538954366.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4528860945.html

At this point I'm ruling out DH for sure. Too concentrated. Maybe it's possible I could find an FR bike that somewhat suits my needs, because there won't be a bike that meets all of them.

Woodcore and Bvibert summed it up pretty well in prior posts. Fit is EVERYTHING. There are bunch of guides around about proper fit but getting on it before you commit is key.

Definitely see if you can check out the Roscoe and the Giant. The Roscoe is pretty sweet and a decent all-arounder. He is asking a bit much for a 2009. You can probably knock a few dollars off. The Reign could be equally awesome and at $900 might be a good find.

bvibert

Staff member
Woodcore and Bvibert summed it up pretty well in prior posts. Fit is EVERYTHING. There are bunch of guides around about proper fit but getting on it before you commit is key.

Definitely see if you can check out the Roscoe and the Giant. The Roscoe is pretty sweet and a decent all-arounder. He is asking a bit much for a 2009. You can probably knock a few dollars off. The Reign could be equally awesome and at $900 might be a good find.

The Trek and the Giant are the two that I'd be looking at too. The Specialized might be okay, but it's a little older (probably 2005 or so).

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Get the bike that fits the trails closest to where you live. That way, you'll be more tempted to head out the back door and jump on the bike. From what I've seen of the Front Range (Colorado Springs), I'd recommend a 29er hardtail or XC 29er. This would include bikes that have a maximum of 120mm suspension front and back, but ideally 100mm.

You should immediately cross any bike off your list that doesn't have disc brakes...

A bike in this category: http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4534678341.html would be just about perfect IMHO. I particularly like the twinloc feature on the Spark.. or on the Rocky Mountain Element http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4531854493.html as it climbs like a hardtail and then you can open it up on the descents.

I feel like any suspension over 100mm really isn't necessary on a 29er unless you're launching big jumps. While you can still certainly feel the bigger suspensions, its benefits on the FR trails are outweighed by the extra weight.

snoseek

Get the bike that fits the trails closest to where you live. That way, you'll be more tempted to head out the back door and jump on the bike. From what I've seen of the Front Range (Colorado Springs), I'd recommend a 29er hardtail or XC 29er. This would include bikes that have a maximum of 120mm suspension front and back, but ideally 100mm.

You should immediately cross any bike off your list that doesn't have disc brakes...

A bike in this category: http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4534678341.html would be just about perfect IMHO. I particularly like the twinloc feature on the Spark.. or on the Rocky Mountain Element http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4531854493.html as it climbs like a hardtail and then you can open it up on the descents.

I feel like any suspension over 100mm really isn't necessary on a 29er unless you're launching big jumps. While you can still certainly feel the bigger suspensions, its benefits on the FR trails are outweighed by the extra weight.

Oh yes, that second bike!!!!

I agree with everything said. Even the reign would be sorta overkill for the front range. Light is good and as I said my old slayer was a tank on those long killer climbs. Unless you plan on shuttling white ranch and lookout mtn a lot go for the bike that climbs efficiently. Even most of Fruita and Moab can be ridden comfortably on a xcish bike.

bvibert

Staff member
I wouldn't lock myself into a 29er if I were you. They're not as big of a game changer as some would have you believe, and you should be able to get more bike for your money if you go for a 26" wheeled bike.

That said, I demoed a Scott Spark 27.5" a couple of weeks ago, and that is a fun XC machine.

skijay

If you're going to buy used, check the bike for damage. Check the pivot points for wear and look for cracks / welded repairs on the frame. Also, check the suspension, front and rear. For the front make sure the lock out works and if there is a dampening control check to see if it works. Make sure there is "springiness" to it. Ride the bike and make sure it doesn't start to sag or looses pressure and or bottom out. Look for oil leaks and check the seals well for any evidence of leaks that weren't just cleaned up. The forks are expensive - rebuilding is $200. Look at the rear shock and also check for leaks. If the owner has the high pressure pump to add air to it & check the pressure. You may want to set it for your weight. Usually it is 1psi for each pound of your weight. The front forks all run different so if the owner can set it for you, go for it.

I looked for a used bike in the past and gave up. Mostly owners think because they spent $3,000 for a bike in 2009 it's worth $2,000 today. Also I ran into locked up disc calipers, pivot points where a cheap bolt was used as a fix, a cracked frame that was welded and the frame painted, a front suspension that started full of springiness and after a few miles on a dirt road the air was all out of it, making the fork a rigid fork and also a blown rear shock that I set for 160 and wouldn't hold the pressure. My favorite is, the bike was used very little. The owner either can't ride a bike without bashing into rocks or stumps or whatever or literally heavily used the bike.

if you can spend $1,500 on a used bike with a history, spend another $700 and get a new bike with no history. The Scott spark is a great bike and you'd be happier with new and not having to deal with the possibility of sinking $$ into a rebuild or replacement of parts on a used bike.
I gave up on the craigslist route and just went to my LBS.