• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Negus Mountain, MA, 01/23/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Negus Mountain, MA

Date Hiked: 01/23/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Unnamed Trail

Difficulty: Difficult

Conditions: Clear, snow, lots of ice

Special Required Equipment: Cramp-ons

After planning to climb it for weeks and never quite getting around to it, I finally was able to hike Negus Mountain in the winter. With little daylight left, I had to hustle to make it to the summit and back before things became too dark.

My tracks were the first in a few days, as the trail was covered in a quarter to half inch layer of snow. As I climbed, I encountered lots of ice, including frozen waterfalls where the trail normally runs up steep ledge sections. Though difficult ascending, these sections were tremendously difficult to descend on the way back, especially with the dark.

Conclusion: I plan to go buy some cramp-ons rather soon.

negusmtnsummit-2007-0123a.jpg

Mike P.

with this cold weather threecy, get some crampons, pronto. Nice TR

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Ya I'm definitely debating it - only problem is that I work 7 days, 70ish hours a week in the winter so they wouldn't get much use. Plus I'm starting to get the itch to ski.