• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cutting out cable TV

Glenn

I have a set of rabbit ears sitting on an old chair up in our attic. I'm pulling in a good dozen HD channels. I hooked the antenna up to the coax that supplies the majority of the coax jacks in our house. I spent $10 on the antenna. In my situation, I'd get a bigger antenna and mount it in the attic before I went with an outside antenna. If I had to do that, I'd probably look for a chimney mount.

I thought Aereo was a really neat concept. But it didn't make sense for me since I already pull in a good signal. Certainly not at the pricepoint they were asking.

Next step is to break up the local monopoly the cable companies have on the towns. Choice is a good thing.

hammer

Next step is to break up the local monopoly the cable companies have on the towns. Choice is a good thing.
I have Fios and Comcast available in my town. Not what I would call great options.

I'd like to cut the cable TV and could/would be able to if we didn't have two older kids in the house who would miss what we have the most.

skijay

Lucky you! The installer of my antenna could not get the signal to lock in on channels: 20.1, 20.2 and 59.1 without losing 22.1 on an attic mount. My antenna is mounted outside on an old dish network pole in the ground about 8' up. I didn't want the antenna mounted on the house. Rarely, I'll get the screen lock / pixilation on 59.1 during heavy rain or wind.

I also discovered that the DTV tuner on one Samsung TV is weak and I did have to purchase a set top converter which alleviated the problem and has a program guide that the Samsung didn't.

Also, there are still analog channels out there! I get channel 34 from Springfield, MA and AMGTV affiliate.

I have a set of rabbit ears sitting on an old chair up in our attic. I'm pulling in a good dozen HD channels. I hooked the antenna up to the coax that supplies the majority of the coax jacks in our house. I spent $10 on the antenna. In my situation, I'd get a bigger antenna and mount it in the attic before I went with an outside antenna. If I had to do that, I'd probably look for a chimney mount.

I thought Aereo was a really neat concept. But it didn't make sense for me since I already pull in a good signal. Certainly not at the pricepoint they were asking.

MR. evil

We ditched Direct TV for Roku (netflix & hulu plus) over 4 years ago. Bill went from $120 per month to about $16. Shortly after that we added an amplified indoor HD antenna for about $100 and also get a slew of free HD local channels.

per the advice of a friend I back fed the HD antenna into my homes existing coax cable. Now that one antenna feeds 4 televisions.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Yeah for me it was convenience + not needing to hook anything up.

MR. evil

How do you backfeed an antenna?

The HD antenna is connect to a coax jack which sends the signal through all the interconnected coax cabling in the house. Any TV in the house with a built in digital tuner that is also connected to a coax jack picks up the HD antenna signal.

o3jeff

The HD antenna is connect to a coax jack which sends the signal through all the interconnected coax cabling in the house. Any TV in the house with a built in digital tuner that is also connected to a coax jack picks up the HD antenna signal.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

jimk

Pearls Before Swine
By Stephan Pastis,
In today's comics section, right on topic :razz:
bombast cable.jpg