• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Real football

skiNEwhere

Who's been watching the World Cup?

I've been hearing for many years that soccer would catch on in this county, and it looks like it finally has.

ctenidae

I think it has caught on about as well as it did during the '94 World Cup...

I watch about 20 minutes a day, at lunch, in the office lunchroom.

Hawkshot99

I dont know how much soccer has caught on. It seams that whenever the USA is playing in a top level tourny there is a strong following, such as Olympic hockey, or World Cup.

For instance I do not follow international sports to well. I do follow USA International sports though.

ctenidae

I will say that watching the games has been enjoyable, though I doubt I will start watching any soccer with any regularity. I don't watch or follow any other sports at all, though, so probably not a good test case.

darent

first game I watched was 90 minutes and 0 to 0. boring watching ball go back and forth.to me TV has ruined sports, but I will say the soccer was all motion and not destroyed by countless ads

mriceyman

The best tournament in the world in any sport. And the upsets this year make it that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

We have watched many games not just the USA! Of course we are cheering for the U.S. On Tuesday!

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

mriceyman

It's definitely true that since the world cup started Americans have been glued to the TV.... Watching something other than the world cup.

Not trying to start a fight but it was the most watched game by us for a world cup game ever. Almost 25 million people saw the game so don't be naive and act like it doesn't exist.

mriceyman

I like the world cup a lot, but Lord Stanley laughs at this statement. ;)

I'm a huge hockey guy but when the first US game of the tourny had more viewers than any stanley cup final game in ny it says something. And hockey is my true passion but numbers don't lie.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a huge hockey guy but when the first US game of the tourny had more viewers than any stanley cup final game in ny it says something. And hockey is my true passion but numbers don't lie.

Popularity doesn't equal best.

mriceyman

Popularity doesn't equal best.
I agree and we can agree to disagree as we view soccer differently. The once every four years just jazzes it up for me as it doesn't come around every year.

Geoff

I'm actually sort of surprised that ESPN is carrying it. 45 minute halves with zero advertising can't be creating any profit for them. That's why it will never catch on in the US. Nobody is going to be willing to televise a pro soccer league unless it's on an obscure pay-extra TV channel. Without the TV revenue, you can't pay the big contracts to the world class players. The US gets minor league soccer.

I've been watching bits & pieces. I saw the last 8 minutes of regulation and the overtime of the Germany game today. I'll for sure watch the US tomorrow.

skiNEwhere

Excellent job in dumbing down and explaining the sport while making a pretty funny commercial

soposkier

I'm actually sort of surprised that ESPN is carrying it. 45 minute halves with zero advertising can't be creating any profit for them. That's why it will never catch on in the US. Nobody is going to be willing to televise a pro soccer league unless it's on an obscure pay-extra TV channel. Without the TV revenue, you can't pay the big contracts to the world class players. The US gets minor league soccer.

I've been watching bits & pieces. I saw the last 8 minutes of regulation and the overtime of the Germany game today. I'll for sure watch the US tomorrow.

I've been hearing this argument regarding advertising being THE reason why soccer will not catch on in the US. I don;t buy it. Does the premier league (and others) not have any advertising revenue? Even though there are no commercials there is still plenty of opportunity for advertisement throughout the game. I doubt ESPN is losing money carrying it. Viewership numbers have been high, there is a market for it. That market might only be there every four years though. Many people, myself included, only watch soccer during the world cup. I just don't think there is a market yet for a league that would compete with the top leagues in Europe for players. You don't see players that are good enough to play in the NBA choosing to play in Europe.

mriceyman

Mls is now spending tons of money bringing in top talent from around the world

skiNEwhere

Whenever I watch soccer I see advertising all around the arena. Seeing how advertising works already in this country I wouldn't be surprised to see a "Pepsi corner kick" or see advertising on the players uniform itself. I mean they even have the name of the league sponsored in England, "Barclays premier league."

I'm guessing the stadium gets revenue for advertising around the field but other than that I'd say there are other revenue opportunities to capitalize on.