• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off-season Steals

skiNEwhere

After the fact, I realized the soul 7's I bought off of Craigslist might have been stolen. :(

Does that count?

Cannonball

After the fact, I realized the soul 7's I bought off of Craigslist might have been stolen. :(

Does that count?

Have you ever had skis (or anything else) stolen from you? If so, then you know the answer.

Theft is a demand-side business. The only reason stuff gets stolen is because people like to buy it.

skiNEwhere

Have you ever had skis (or anything else) stolen from you? If so, then you know the answer.

Theft is a demand-side business. The only reason stuff gets stolen is because people like to buy it.

I do realize stuff gets stolen....

My family has had ski stuff stolen from then multiple times, doesn't mean what I bought was stolen though....just some of the stuff the guy I bought them from said didn't add up and I kind of put all the different pieces together after the fact

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow we're literally talking about stealing now....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Well I doubt someone in the NEK would be selling a hot six year old touring setup. Now if it happened to be someone from say Cambridge, MA saying he's moving to the Philipines then I'd be suspicious.

Cannonball

I've worked in the trades, and obviously I've skied for a long time. Anyone who buys tools or skis (or bikes, etc, etc) under suspect situations is just contributing to the likelihood that their own expensive gear will be stolen. If you are helping to fuel the market by buying do not complain when you end up on the "supply side" of that market.

Puck it

I've worked in the trades, and obviously I've skied for a long time. Anyone who buys tools or skis (or bikes, etc, etc) under suspect situations is just contributing to the likelihood that their own expensive gear will be stolen. If you are helping to fuel the market by buying do not complain when you end up on the "supply side" of that market.

I will raise that with a stolen car!

Puck it

OK pulled to cord for these!!!

30831-dragon-apxs-goggles-powder-weclispe-lens-xl.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Just put $100 down on a pair of new 172 Dynastar Legends at Rodger's. Price without bindings $300

Rewind: I should have done this before I jumped the gun at Rodgers but after mentioning my pending purchase to a friend they later told me to look at eBay. There was a pair of 172 Dynastar Legends for $80 less including shipping available as a "Buy it now". So I called Rodgers and asked if there was anything they could do for me. After to lengthy holds they said the best they could do was refund my deposit.

Thoughts?

JDMRoma

Rewind: I should have done this before I jumped the gun at Rodgers but after mentioning my pending purchase to a friend they later told me to look at eBay. There was a pair of 172 Dynastar Legends for $80 less including shipping available as a "Buy it now". So I called Rodgers and asked if there was anything they could do for me. After to lengthy holds they said the best they could do was refund my deposit.

Thoughts?

If you buy from Rodgers won't they mount bindings for free ? and what would it cost to mount to your ebay ones ? I had called locally and was quoted $40 to $60 depending on where...... just thinking.

Savemeasammy

Tough call. Is this your local shop? It's too bad they couldn't at least meet you halfway... Is the other deal from a legit shop somewhere? If so, they are more eager to unload the skis than Rodgers. I wouldn't feel too badly about buying elsewhere - from a percentage standpoint, it's a significant difference. (Caveat: if this were a place that I liked and did a lot of business with, I might buy from them anyway, but I am probably the exception to the rule...!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member

Thoughts?

So they wouldn't match the price and instead will let you out of the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
If you buy from Rodgers won't they mount bindings for free ? and what would it cost to mount to your ebay ones ? I had called locally and was quoted $40 to $60 depending on where...... just thinking.

They didn't offer that service probably for two reasons: They're not making any percentage on $300 plus I'll be using the bindings from the shattered B3's.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Tough call. Is this your local shop? It's too bad they couldn't at least meet you halfway... Is the other deal from a legit shop somewhere? If so, they are more eager to unload the skis than Rodgers. I wouldn't feel too badly about buying elsewhere - from a percentage standpoint, it's a significant difference. (Caveat: if this were a place that I liked and did a lot of business with, I might buy from them anyway, but I am probably the exception to the rule...!)

No, not my local shop. The other skis are coming from an eBay dealer with very good feed back plus they're out of Brattleboro so it's almost local. I don't do a lot of business at Rodgers but they really have a lot of skis there. I was amazed they still had the Legends. Even more amazed to be shown an eBay listing for so much less.

Savemeasammy

No, not my local shop. The other skis are coming from an eBay dealer with very good feed back plus they're out of Brattleboro so it's almost local. I don't do a lot of business at Rodgers but they really have a lot of skis there. I was amazed they still had the Legends. Even more amazed to be shown an eBay listing for so much less.

That makes it easy, then. eBay it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
That makes it easy, then. eBay it is!

Yes, It was an easy choice but I wasn't comfortable making it. I guess I'm a bit nervous about being viewed as a chiseler is all. I really didn't feel I had a choice knowing there was the same ski for substantially less out there. Most places - or so I thought - would bend over backwards to keep a customer from going elsewhere. But I guess Rodgers has enough money coming from the Masses that ski Loon so they don't need my money or patronage.:dontknow:

I'm waiting for delivery from the eBay seller now. Once I have the skis and see they're in good condition I take a drive back up to Rodgers for my deposit. Then drop off the eBay Sultans at Ski Fanatics for the binding swap and a tune.

dlague

Yes, It was an easy choice but I wasn't comfortable making it. I guess I'm a bit nervous about being viewed as a chiseler is all. I really didn't feel I had a choice knowing there was the same ski for substantially less out there. Most places - or so I thought - would bend over backwards to keep a customer from going elsewhere. But I guess Rodgers has enough money coming from the Masses that ski Loon so they don't need my money or patronage.:dontknow:

I'm waiting for delivery from the eBay seller now. Once I have the skis and see they're in good condition I take a drive back up to Rodgers for my deposit. Then drop off the eBay Sultans at Ski Fanatics for the binding swap and a tune.

I spoke to a couple of local shops and they do not want to compete against the online companies. I have found good deals online (where I buy all ski gear) and tried to give the local shops a go and got denied - so I don't bother!

Congrats are in order - I guess! Glad it worked out!