• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off-season Steals

Domeskier

Do you ski WC's as your DD's? I use the classics as my DD, and they are fine in powder.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Yep - WC's are my DD's. I get so few powder days that it's mostly theoretical at this point.

BenedictGomez

Snagged a pair of used 2013 Rossignol S7 with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rossy 120 Axial 2[/FONT] bindings for $230.

It will be my first foray into something as big as 115 underfoot, but at the same length it has ~22% more surface area than my Line Prophet 90s.

Bought them as a ski for the best powder days, as while I love the LP 90s in 6" fresh, while in deep snow they could have better float. Dont know how something this wide will handle in the trees given the 115mm, but I guess I'll find out.

dlague

Just picked up Salomon Ripper Skis for my 12 yr old! $119 - pretty good price IMO! He wants to ski again! He switched to snowboarding at 8. After snowboarding with Cannonball, he now wants to ski! That just plain f'd him all up! Just kidding - actually he heard him talk about skiing and snowboarding so he wants to do the same! I though of doing the same but never followed through!

http://www.skis.com/Salomon-Ripper-Skis-2012/283947P,default,pd.html

Rippers.png

BenedictGomez

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-cham-87-2013.aspx#Reviews

is this a good deal and a good ski?

Dynastar Cham 87 Skis 2013

If you fancy a powder ski, check this deal on the 107's out. From the pics, I doubt they were used more than a few times, and they have Look Pivot 14 bindings on them for ~$270 shipped right now with 1.5 days left. Even if they go off at $400, it's a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynastar-Ch...s-/221539342184?pt=Skiing&hash=item3394c61768

yeggous

I picked up 2014 Liberty Sequence 182 cm skis from STP for $212.47 + tax (total $225.75) from STP. I also grabbed Salomon Z12 bindings for $100 including mounting from Proctor Ski Shop. I typically avoid the Z12, but there was a $50 (and 50%) difference to get anything else. Grand total $325.75.

Next on the shopping list: new boots. Ugh.

I'm thinking about paying full price at Stan and Dan's in North Conway because their service is excellent.

drjeff

Playing in a charity golf tournament run by the owner of a ski shop has its advantages when it comes to auction time! I picked up a pair of 2014 still in the plastic wrap 184cm Head E90's yesterday for $100! :)

Highway Star

I'm thinking about going with some Hart F-17 classics for my powder ski.

Well, they appear to be billed as an all mountain mogul ski, so I suppose there are worse options out there. Looks like they have a bit of a wide tip and having a bit of a rearward mounting point probably helps with the float. I have some 180cm volkl snowrangers that probably have around the same surface area and are great in powder, but the tails are extremely short.

That said, my newest powder skis are 191cm and 125mm waist, with minimal rocker. Even mounted -1.5cm from the furthest back line they are plenty nimble in the woods. It's a big stable platform to land drops on, glide well, have a huge sweet spot while still being a powerful ski. Head boneshakers, paid $199 new on closeout.

Highway Star

Surprising to me that boards like that would be agile tree skis. You've tried them already?

Yes, last year. I suppose nimble is relative, they are not as nimble as my 185cm chopsticks, but are more nimble than my 183cm rossignol axioms which have lots of metal in them. I mostly skied them in untracked snow or crud, but can't recall there being any problems with them in tracked trees. Though I would never take them in trees that were packed to the point of having moguls - fat skis are far easier to handle in powder vs. packed out trees.

I'm a pretty good sized guy and most of my other skis are high end race construction mid fats, usually the longest length available in the model, 185-190cm. My 187cm bonafides and 186cm im88's are perfectly reasonable in the trees, the 191 inferno's are OK, while my 188cm stockli SS are harder to ski in the woods, and my 201cm stockli asteroids are nearly impossible to ski in the woods (and anywhere else for that matter). I've also got 210cm and 218cm plated DH race skis - don't even think about going in moguls or trees with those.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

I hope you are joking, great or everything except powder

I think they are fine in powder. Not great, but not terrible. I think they suck in crud, and they are very sketchy on ice (although they would probably be better if the edges were ground to 90 degrees).

Highway Star

I think they are fine in powder. Not great, but not terrible. I think they suck in crud, and they are very sketchy on ice (although they would probably be better if the edges were ground to 90 degrees).

Sounds like a really poor all around ski.