• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off-season Steals

Gforce

Picked up a pair of 2015 189cm Scott Punisher Twin Tips with sweet bindings at a N. Conway "tent sale" this summer, they were marked as demos for $440 and have not a scratch on them. I grabbed them immediately.

Pumped up for the winter, can't wait.

Interesting that a couple of the Gear-Head sales people seemed pissed off they were sold under the radar........

dlague

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-cham-87-2013.aspx#Reviews

is this a good deal and a good ski?

Dynastar Cham 87 Skis 2013

(3 reviews) SKU# 58221 Condition: New

Orig: $599.95 $299.98
Sale

Free Shipping!
On Orders Over $50
Shipping Outside the US? Ships in 24 hours

1. Select a Size (cm) Size Chart

Best price I have seen so far on those. The reviews are all real good and I am not talking about the ski magazine reviews. The reviews written by people who have bought them. Those are the 2013 models - the 2014 models are for sale for a few $ cheaper.

http://www.evo.com/skis/dynastar-ch...41248/dynastar-cham-87-blue-skis-2014-166.jpg

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

I demoed the 172s a couple years ago at Jay for tree skiing. They were fine until I tried to back out of dead-end. Then the pin tails dug in and I fell over backward and ... upside down. A month or so later they were all that were available to ski spring semi frozen crud and they were terrible. Bottom line - they're a good powder ski, terrible on semi frozen crud and you can't ski switch.

xwhaler

Just pulled the trigger on some new boots. Before everyone jumps all over me for buying boots online w/o trying on realize that if they don't work I'm not going to keep them.
The price was too good to pass up as I figured all I'm out is the cost of the UPS return.

Tecnica Bodacious 130 model yr 2012 from skis.com. Marked all the way down to $249 I nearly jumped on them a couple wks ago.
My patience paid off as they have a Labor Day sale going on right now and got these shipped to my door for $199.94
Couldnt pass it up for what looks like exactly what I was looking for in a boot (stiff, lightweight, big power strap)

dlague

Just pulled the trigger on some new boots. Before everyone jumps all over me for buying boots online w/o trying on realize that if they don't work I'm not going to keep them.
The price was too good to pass up as I figured all I'm out is the cost of the UPS return.

Tecnica Bodacious 130 model yr 2012 from skis.com. Marked all the way down to $249 I nearly jumped on them a couple wks ago.
My patience paid off as they have a Labor Day sale going on right now and got these shipped to my door for $199.94
Couldnt pass it up for what looks like exactly what I was looking for in a boot (stiff, lightweight, big power strap)

I buy all of kids, wife's and my boots online! More power to you! I know my mondo size! Most online store have return policies that allow you to swap if not quite right and it is just a few clicks instead of driving all over and getting sticker shock!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Not the biggest bargain and I know its dangerous to buy a helmet without trying it on but I'm just impetuous I guess.

Of course it'll look different after I plaster it with stickers (I know that's dangerous too). Im such a 12 year old.

k2-thrive-helmet-grey.jpg

Last edited:

Highway Star

Orig: $599.95 $299.98
Sale

Free Shipping!
On Orders Over $50
Shipping Outside the US? Ships in 24 hours

1. Select a Size (cm) Size Chart

The vibe I get from that whole "cham" line is that they are pretty whippy and soft, ski short too. No real beef. Though they seem to be built really well with the wood/metal sandwich/sidewall, and they have a modern rocker and complex sidecut. Probably ok for a lighter skier, a smaller skier who selects a longer ski, mostly as a soft snow ski, and low advanced level. Definitely doesn't sound like it has the beef of the dynastar legends, or higher end blizzards, nordicas, elans, heads, stocklis, etc, which can be needed on ice.

Smellytele

Not the biggest bargain and I know its dangerous to buy a helmet without trying it on but I'm just impetuous I guess.

Of course it'll look different after I plaster it with stickers (I know that's dangerous too). Im such a 12 year old.

k2-thrive-helmet-grey.jpg

Got one of these for my son but he made me return it. He said he looked like an alien. It did make him look like Gazoo

The_Great_Gazoo.png

BenedictGomez

Got one of these for my son but he made me return it. He said he looked like an alien. It did make him look like Gazoo

The_Great_Gazoo.png

Though a Gazoo sticker on a helmet would be pretty cool. Or maybe Marvin the Martian. Hmmm.....

The vibe I get from that whole "cham" line is that they are pretty whippy and soft, ski short too. No real beef. Though they seem to be built really well with the wood/metal sandwich/sidewall, and they have a modern rocker and complex sidecut. Probably ok for a lighter skier, a smaller skier who selects a longer ski, mostly as a soft snow ski, and low advanced level. Definitely doesn't sound like it has the beef of the dynastar legends, or higher end blizzards, nordicas, elans, heads, stocklis, etc, which can be needed on ice.

I looked in the Cham as part of my search for the ultimate east coast tree ski since it had tip-rocker and flat tails*, two qualities I think are useful in that regard, but lots of reviews claimed they were better at great big turns than quick, turn-turn-turn, maneuvers, and pivots etc... so that scared me away. People seemed to really like them as all-mountain frontside skis though.

*and it seems to be getting harder and harder to find non twin-tip skis. Everything is twin-tip this and twin-tip that [/end mini rant]

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I looked in the Cham as part of my search for the ultimate east coast tree ski since it had tip-rocker and flat tails*, two qualities I think are useful in that regard, but lots of reviews claimed they were better at great big turns than quick, turn-turn-turn, maneuvers, and pivots etc... so that scared me away. People seemed to really like them as all-mountain frontside skis though.[/end mini rant]

I also strongly considered the Cham 107 for my powder ski, and at one point was sold and just waiting for the wifey to get paid again (teacher). I got talked out of them, however. When I was talking to a rep at Ken Jones (Manchester, NH) about the skis that I've been on and enjoyed, he said that the Cham was completely different than all the ones I've mentioned. It may be a quick turner, but it's not playful, and it's a heavy ski.

I pulled the trigger on Line Sick Day 110 for $419. They matched the lowest price I could find online, and will mount them for free.