• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

There's nothin' like a Weber Grill!

Greg

Staff member
Anyone else have a Weber grill? We have a Weber Genesis Silver-B with stainless grates. We actually use it on and off all winter, but we've been using it a ton this spring. Aside from the typical hot dogs and hamburgers, we do steaks, pork chops, chicken breast (boneless and split), etc. The best is vegetables on skewers - green and red peppers, mushrooms, zuchini, squash. Marinate that in italian dressing, or one of those garlic/herb marinades. Yum! :p

Another discovery this year was grilled shrimp. We get raw large shrimp and marinate them for 30 minutes in olive oil, crushed garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. We have this pan that looks like a frying pan with a bunch of holes in it. Work great for the shrimp!

Gotta love the Weber! :beer:

pepsi

Yes, we've got one. And I've got chicken marinating right now for tonight. Yesterday it was grilled salmon with diced tomatoes and lemon pepper.

Don't have the stainless grates though, I think I'll look into that when I go for a new cover. We use it regularly all year and taking the cover off when it's frozen has taken a toll on it.

Thanks for the shrimp idea. Have to try that soon. Lobster tails are good too.

TenPeaks

My wife and I are in the market for a Webber grill. We've been using cheaper grills for the past few years and can only get a couple of seasons out of them.

Any recommendations on where to buy a Webber at a reasonable price? We looked at Home Depot and Lowes and both stores have the same grills at the same price.

Greg

Staff member
pepsi said:
Don't have the stainless grates though, I think I'll look into that when I go for a new cover. We use it regularly all year and taking the cover off when it's frozen has taken a toll on it.
Stainless grates are the way to go. My grill is in desperate need of a powerwashing, but still looks great after 2+ years outside 24/7. I've found the Weber cover to be virtually indestructable though. I'm surprised you need to replace it. How long have you had it?

BTW, what color do you have. Mine is blue. 8)

Greg

Staff member
TenPeaks said:
Any recommendations on where to buy a Webber at a reasonable price? We looked at Home Depot and Lowes and both stores have the same grills at the same price.
You're making a great move by buying a Weber over the cheap grills. These things are built to last and you should easily get 10+ years out of it. I paid $399 for our Genesis Silver-B (blue) with stainless grates. It also has two flip-up shelves which is nice. Call around to all the local Hardware store and see if you can find a deal.

Definitely also invest in the Weber cover for it too. It's very durable and ventilated which you would think be counter-productive. While it does let the grill get wet in heavy rain/melting snow, what it does is lets it dry out quicker. Other covers seal in moisture which can promote rust. But these are Webers we're talking about; there's not much to rust...

My sister got an absurd deal on a Genesis Gold-B via Amazon's Gold Box and some rebates - something like $450 with shipping so check there too.

skijay

I have a 2001 Weber Silver Genesis -B- also. It has been the best grill that I have ever owned. (I bought disposable Fiesta grills from Wal Mart for $60 on sale. They last 2 seasons with my cooking habits.)

The Weber cooks different than a regular grill. It took me a couple of grillings and reading of the instructions to get used to grilling with the lid closed.

Mine has the ceramic grates. It depends where you purchased it, at Home Depot they sold / sell it with the cast iron grates. I bought mine from a pool store.

Edit: As Greg said, invest in the Weber grill cover. They are not cheap, but if you are paying close to $400 for a grill what is another $40????

TenPeaks

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about visiting a couple local hardward stores this week and have not yet looked online. I was expecting to pay around $400, so if I can find a grill cheaper all the better. Good to know about the cover too.

Greg

Staff member
pepsi said:
grilled salmon with diced tomatoes and lemon pepper
You gotta post the recipe for this. I have yet to try fish on the grill, and I love salmon. My wife's not big on it, but perhaps Webered salmon would change her mind. :wink:

ChileMass

For all you grilling fans - try the Paul Prudhomme "Poultry Magic" and "Veggie Magic" rubs on any grilled fish, meat or kabobs. Yum.....

pepsi

="Greg I've found the Weber cover to be virtually indestructable though. I'm surprised you need to replace it. How long have you had it?

6 years I think. :D No complaints, like yours it's outside all year and I think it's taking it off while it's frozen that has the corners starting to crack.

I'm going to look into the stainless grates but, if I wait until my ceramic grates actually need replacing its going to be a long time.

Agreed on the learning how to use it. If you are like my "turn it up to high and throw the food on" friend, you won't appreciate why you spent the money.

skijay

One more thing about Weber gas grills, they are easy to clean. First the flavorizer bars keep the grease from hitting the burners. This eliminates flare ups and plug ups of the burner. I clean my grill before each use by preheating to 500 degrees and then using a brass brush to clean the stuck on stuff off of the grates. This is for the ceramic grates.

The Weber grill also has the nice drip tray. It is a replaceable foil tray. The entire bottom of the grill also slides out which means you can clean the bottom of the grill without taking burner out. That was one of the selling points for me.

coberg

Website
www.hike-nh.com
Got the Vermont Casting at HD over the Weber (I still have my old Weber Silver and use it for some cooking). Gas is great for quick weekday nights, but the old faithful comes out on the weekends! And stainless is the way to go if you can't get the cast iron with ceramic coating. Ceramic is the ultimate in easy cleaning!

Oh yeah, and I have the Smokey Joe as well. Great for camping! (Man, I have three grills, is there something wrong with me?)

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
One more thing about Weber gas grills, they are easy to clean. First the flavorizer bars keep the grease from hitting the burners. This eliminates flare ups and plug ups of the burner. I clean my grill before each use by preheating to 500 degrees and then using a brass brush to clean the stuck on stuff off of the grates. This is for the ceramic grates.

The Weber grill also has the nice drip tray. It is a replaceable foil tray. The entire bottom of the grill also slides out which means you can clean the bottom of the grill without taking burner out. That was one of the selling points for me.
Yup. I need to badly clean my grill. I plan to line up the flavorizer bars, grates, and bottom body in the driveway and blast away with the pressure washer. I do notice sometimes the whole bottom part of the body will ignite if it's really dirty. The underside of the lid has some interesting formations of soot deposited on it too. A few shots with a little 409 keeps the outside of the lid and work surfaces pretty clean.

skijay

Watch out for any citrus based cleaners used on the Weber grills. The owners manual states not to use them in cleaning. I think it refers to the unit itself and not the flavorizers or grate, but I can not remember.

I use Simple Green on just about everything, except the grill!

Greg...I never thought about using the pressure washer for the grill stuff. I guess it's better to use it than to let it sit in the box and be used only once a year to clean the vinyl siding!

skican

Hey, I was sitting on the couch this morning staring at the boob tube and what comes on but a commercial about Weber grills be on sale at KMart this week. $60.00 off!

Greg

Staff member
skican said:
Hey, I was sitting on the couch this morning staring at the boob tube and what comes on but a commercial about Weber grills be on sale at KMart this week. $60.00 off!
$60 off all models? I checked the KMart Web site and didn't see anything.

skican

Yep, I heard it on the tube this morning. I am completely positive. It looked like the model you all were taking about. I have been out of it lately, and I am sure I was not dreaming. I came out of my fog to watch the commercial and chuckle to myself. I thought when I logged on to the zone I would see posts about it! Let's see I was watching channel 7 out of Boston.

Greg

Staff member
skijay said:
Greg...I never thought about using the pressure washer for the grill stuff. I guess it's better to use it than to let it sit in the box and be used only once a year to clean the vinyl siding!
Just an FYI. The power washer worked great on the grates, underside of the lid, flavorizer bars, the removable catch basin, and the trays, but be careful if using it on any painted surfaces. Be sure you're using a fan spray instead of a fine stream or you will remove paint. I found out the hard way. I tool a little paint (three inch stripe) off the back main body of the grill. :blink:

skijay

I have found out that the power washer could be used for cleaning the decking around the pool. I used it for the vinyl siding and once for my car. It's too much of a pain to drag it out and move it around for a car wash. Give me a garden hose for the car. My power washer is only 1300 psi. I also used it to clean the cracks in my driveway on Wednesday. It did a good job of that so I could put the crack filler in and it actually stuck this time.