• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Abominable

Oh my goodness after a hard run through the trees off Gonff or wherever I love flying down a groomed show off. Nice to let the legs rest and just carve at speed.

For me at Magic my runs always seem divided in half, with a top run off difficult trees / moguls / or maybe just cruising then a choice for a bottom half of cruising, low angle trees or maybe charge the Green Line. Top to bottom trees are exhausting!

Magic's grooming has been great - especially coupled with the fact that they got a ton of snow this year and more importantly that they have what, one tenth (one 20th? less?) of the traffic that a Bromley or Berk East (esp. w/ night skiing) over the course of a week? Less traffic makes such a huge difference in how things hold up over the course of a day and season.

Yeggous, you should go to Bromley if you've never been, it's a great place. In fact, if I was up there this weekend I might do Bromley on Sat and enjoy all the festivities (I think this weekend is spring fest, outdoor bbq, pond skimming, etc.) then hit Magic on Sunday for what should be at least a couple inches of fresh in the woods.

Edit - what's the over / under on last day this year at Magic?

slatham

I think they will have snow on the trails where they made snow through the April 11th weekend . Whether they have the demand is another question. There would have to be some very cooperative weather to get to the 18th (and poor weather not make 11th)

jrmagic

Based on current snow depths and below average Temps persisting I'm thinking there will be more skiable trails than just those they blew on come the week after Easter. People not coming and buying tickets seems like it will do them in before lack of snow.

drjeff

Based on current snow depths and below average Temps persisting I'm thinking there will be more skiable trails than just those they blew on come the week after Easter. People not coming and buying tickets seems like it will do them in before lack of snow.

They'll be 80-90 10-12 year olds in their GS suits and associated parents and coaches on showoff this Sunday adding to Magic's ticket and F&B revenue! Since it's the last race of the season for many of the kids, expect more than a few parents to "celebrate" the end of constant ski tuning and waxing and running off to many mountains every weekend, in the BLT after the 2nd run of race #2 is done (there's going to be both an AM and a PM 2 run dual GS race on Sunday) :beer:

JamaicaMan

Magic unlikely to go past the 1st weekend in April as traffic will be small so it's a money loser. Right now they aren't even selling tickets on liftopia after March.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Any idea how ticket sales have been compared to previous years? I know only having Red running makes it seem like there are more people but all in all it sounds like they have been doing quite well given the natural stuff.

yeggous

I noticed the snow report shows the down several trails today. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

makimono

They've actually had Witch/Goniff/Red Line roped closed quite a bit this year even though it's been listed open on the report...so at least they're being honest about it. Really not sure why they've been closed earlier other than that the top part of Witch is usually boilerplate.

Haven't been to Magic in a couple weeks and it may be a couple more before I can get back out on skis...screwed up my lower back lapping 10th mountain moguls at Wachusett the other day...hope to recover well enough for Spring Fling if possible!

twinplanx

Anyone interested in a certificate for 2 tickets to Magic? I bought one that I probably won't be able to use. I payed 63 bucks...

Tin

They've actually had Witch/Goniff/Red Line roped closed quite a bit this year even though it's been listed open on the report...so at least they're being honest about it. Really not sure why they've been closed earlier other than that the top part of Witch is usually boilerplate.

Have to access them through woods? :-D

makimono

haha you probably could, I just duck the rope like everyone else and always seem to find a skiable line down Witch on the extreme right under the branches. Witch is a pretty critical link of a trail though, it accesses a ton of stuff and I've seen it roped this year even on a powder day with 8" overnight...its weird and unnecessary. :blink: Someone's gotta get that head ski patrol guy baked or laid or something. I'll make him some brownies.

Tin

A Craigslist hooker might be cheaper than making special brownies.

While ducking it last year a few of us got yelled at by a woman on ski patrol asking if we were stupid. Witch-Goniff had more snow on them than most other runs on the mountain. I can understand roping Magician because of the rocks at times but they really need to take on a different approach when it comes to roping stuff off or just have most of it roped with "Caution - Thin Cover" warnings.

Hado226

I'm a sometime patroller at magic. I've tried to replace the ropes with thin cover or ice warning placards, like we often use at Berkshire East, but can't win that battle.

MadMadWorld

I'm a sometime patroller at magic. I've tried to replace the ropes with thin cover or ice warning placards, like we often use at Berkshire East, but can't win that battle.

What's the opposition?

Someone made mention that the head of patrol doesn't even ski....that seems like the first problem

vonski

I have noticed that Magician and Witch etc. have been open Thursday and Fridays per the report to find them closed on Saturday. I was talking with a guy on the lift that said he was standing at Magician wondering why it was closed. A patroller told him to duck the rope as they have been closing it to keep the ill advised off it on weekends. So, maybe the increased traffic there this year with more intermediates is making them from wanting to have to deal with the intermediates in over their heads. I not sure, but there was a couple times I almost did poach Magician. Did take woods into Goniff and Twilight a couple times to avoid the ropes.

vonski

Going tomorrow hoping the clipper drops some snow not some NCP, but getting my edges sharpened for 2morrow for sure! Groomers should be nice and fast.

jrmagic

Yeah definitely looking like it will be firm tomorrow. The sun was out for several hours this morning softening things up a bit. A lot in some spots. Really beatific day to ski.

yeggous

They dropped the rope on Witch and Broom Handle around 2pm after things had softened up. That saved the day and my opinion of Magic.

I had fun, but doubt that I will rush back given that I have better options after weighing the drive time, price point, and lift speed.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app