• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

dlague

Let me try to rephrase.. They just want the mountain open and going in the right direction, which is what happened. I also left the door open for lesser infractions than embezzlement.
If there is some dispute over some % of funds, it's secondary to the improving operations of the mountain.
Also gfy with your assertion that I am somehow defective for having the thought. No reason at all to be a dick about it.

Daddy what does gfy mean?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Let me try to rephrase.. They just want the mountain open and going in the right direction, which is what happened. I also left the door open for lesser infractions than embezzlement.
If there is some dispute over some % of funds, it's secondary to the improving operations of the mountain.
Also gfy with your assertion that I am somehow defective for having the thought. No reason at all to be a dick about it.

Calm down there bobbutts. I was not saying that you were "defective" and not making any personal comment. Instead I was pointing out that perhaps the ends don't justify the means in this case.

Last edited:

slatham

Hiked Magic yesterday. As I suspected, management changes notwithstanding, the mountain is still there! Lots of activity too, at least for mid week July. Gravel piles in lot A. Everything mowed around the base lodge. Timber Quest in action. Significant regrading/water bar work on the lower most part of Lower Magician. Over the past two summers they have done major regrading/water bar/drainage on Upper Carpet to Wand to Lower Magician.

Hocus Pocus was mowed, a Wand too in places (due to the work there isn't much grass growth) and Show Off had a couple of passes down the middle. The new pads on Red were removed for the summer. All the chairs are on Red and Black. Workers were in the yard working on something. There is a full set of grown up earth moving toys in the yard. Yellow Cat too, with the treads off.

Didn't talk to anyone - it was early and I did not check them office for Tom. Next visit will likely be for a volunteer day, assuming those continue, which I am sure they will.

bobbutts

Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It's you stirring the pot and acting like a baby actually, but go ahead and just say "summer" if that makes you feel better. My post was on topic and intended to spur more on topic discussion, but was made personal and taken off topic by a "moderator" of this forum.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think that's the first time I have seen someone try to justify embezzlement, or in this case, perhaps alleged wrongdoing.

It's you stirring the pot and acting like a baby actually, but go ahead and just say "summer" if that makes you feel better. My post was on topic and intended to spur more on topic discussion, but was made personal and taken off topic by a "moderator" of this forum.

How exactly was trailboss's comment "personal" and "taken off topic"?

You are WAY overreacting.

And if anyone has made things personal, it's you by telling trailboss to GFY and now calling him a "baby."

JimG's comment "summertime" and trailboss's comment "bingo" weren't efforts to stir the pot. They were generalized statements highlighting that almost every summer, people on this board get testy. In this case, that person is you.

Step back, take a deep breath and relax. No one was insinuating you're somehow "defective" for your original comment that trailboss responded to. There were no malice in his words. On the other hand there's plenty of malice in yours.

And for the record, my thoughts align pretty similarly to yours on the matter. Unless the investigation proves otherwise, I think Sullivan had his heart in the right place regarding doing what needed to be done to keep the mountain operating. Maybe he did misappropriate some of the funding, but I don't think he was doing so to personally profit on those management / accounting decisions. If that were the case, the new management certainly wouldn't want him sticking around in any capacity.

bobbutts

How exactly was trailboss's comment "personal" and "taken off topic"?

You are WAY overreacting.

And if anyone has made things personal, it's you by telling trailboss to GFY and now calling him a "baby."

JimG's comment "summertime" and trailboss's comment "bingo" weren't efforts to stir the pot. They were generalized statements highlighting that almost every summer, people on this board get testy. In this case, that person is you.

Step back, take a deep breath and relax. No one was insinuating you're somehow "defective" for your original comment that trailboss responded to. There were no malice in his words. On the other hand there's plenty of malice in yours.

And for the record, my thoughts align pretty similarly to yours on the matter. Unless the investigation proves otherwise, I think Sullivan had his heart in the right place regarding doing what needed to be done to keep the mountain operating. Maybe he did misappropriate some of the funding, but I don't think he was doing so to personally profit on those management / accounting decisions. If that were the case, the new management certainly wouldn't want him sticking around in any capacity.

Fair enough and I appreciate that you at put in the effort to write a reasonable reply. Realize that he did put words in my mouth and then suggest that I was the first person ever to have that line of thought. I didn't start gumming up the thread with insults until after that ridiculous post. If you don't see anything insulting or inflammatory or at very least off topic and useless about his post, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Most of the drama here is caused by, fanned, or ignored by the moderators, so you can either live with what you created or change your approach. I made no commitment to do what's right for az, that's your concern, not mine.

P.S. It would not bother me if all of the off topic posts were deleted or moved to the graveyard or whatever protocol here is for off topic crap

Last edited:

skithetrees

YES. Most are unaware of this. Tom Barker has been there much longer than the existing of JLS. Take it for what it's worth, but it's not like this is entirely "new". Just a change IMO.

Yes. Tom has been there for, I would guess, over a decade. I suspect you will see some changes in the focus of the mountain to make it more family oriented, which I think would be welcome. Not to say that it is not right now, but the current lift setup is not exactly beginner friendly. Catering to a small niche of hardcore skiers who chased powder days wasn't the best strategy. Sure the mountain was busy on powder days, but that a profitable mountain will not make. The average crowds weren't enough to sustain the mountain. Will the current vibe go away? No. But I think you may see a bit more of a beginner friendly tilt in the near future.

Also, as was mentioned in the Powder article or above, Tom is a very successful engineer who actually had a handle on many of the mountain's systems better than most. He also knew the most cost effective ways to upgrade them and get the best results per dollar spent. I suspect infrastructure spending will continue, but prove more fruitful per dollar.

abc

A long time insider stepping up to replace another long time insider he's been working along side of? It looks a lot more likely the "change" is to shield the mountain operation from the expected scrutiny over the "club fund" usage.

There might be some small changes in focus and priority. But to the Magic supporters, it's likely nothing substantial will be changed.

Savemeasammy

Yes. Tom has been there for, I would guess, over a decade. I suspect you will see some changes in the focus of the mountain to make it more family oriented, which I think would be welcome. Not to say that it is not right now, but the current lift setup is not exactly beginner friendly. Catering to a small niche of hardcore skiers who chased powder days wasn't the best strategy. Sure the mountain was busy on powder days, but that a profitable mountain will not make. The average crowds weren't enough to sustain the mountain. Will the current vibe go away? No. But I think you may see a bit more of a beginner friendly tilt in the near future.

Also, as was mentioned in the Powder article or above, Tom is a very successful engineer who actually had a handle on many of the mountain's systems better than most. He also knew the most cost effective ways to upgrade them and get the best results per dollar spent. I suspect infrastructure spending will continue, but prove more fruitful per dollar.

I have to agree with some I this. After skiing magic last year with some friends, I was seriously considering getting passes there. It has great challenging terrain, an excellent vibe, and it's a reasonable drive from where I live. However, I had to change my mind after bringing my family along on another visit. I saw the mountain through the eyes of our youngest child who said magic was "scary"... The beginner terrain is really lacking. In order to bring my whole family out skiing, the area of choice needs to have something for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
So in terms of operations, will it be the same schedule? Weekends and (maybe not) powder days?

MadMadWorld

I have to agree with some I this. After skiing magic last year with some friends, I was seriously considering getting passes there. It has great challenging terrain, an excellent vibe, and it's a reasonable drive from where I live. However, I had to change my mind after bringing my family along on another visit. I saw the mountain through the eyes of our youngest child who said magic was "scary"... The beginner terrain is really lacking. In order to bring my whole family out skiing, the area of choice needs to have something for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is really getting to the beginner terrain on the lower mountain. Even that could use some grading.