• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
MMP, why are you upset? :)

I'm upset about the flags Sorry, flag. Half mast red cross. Lol. View attachment 16320

What upsets you? I bought that flag and raised it about a month ago. That's the National Flag of Switzerland, home of Hans Thorner, founder of Magic. It's not a "Red Cross" flag, LOL! The other two poles have rigging problems. I (Via TW) gave the American and Vermont flags to Emily in the office. I figured the Swiss flag was the most identifying. The middle pole mast is strung incorrectly too, so it only goes up part way.

I had a long email "chat" with Tom. He wants to take care of re-roping them after the snow ski season ends, the mud is gone and his folks have some time to spare. He also wants to light the flags so they can stay up 7x24. BTW, for all the promises, nobody ever sent me any money for the flags. :roll:

Bill

makimono

A lot of people (me included sometimes) say what's wrong with Magic or "they should do" this or that better or whatever...so for you to not just propose an idea but follow through on it with your own money and your own labor is awesome. If I haven't said it yet, thanks and you rock!

BTW ON3P Skis is setting up another demo day this Sunday 4/5 in case anyone missed it last time. See how those handmade west coast skis do in east coast corn.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A lot of people (me included sometimes) say what's wrong with Magic or "they should do" this or that better or whatever...so for you to not just propose an idea but follow through on it with your own money and your own labor is awesome.

I appreciate the vibes makimono. Let's not forget the "Magic Faithful" that have poured thousands of their own dollars into the infrastructure. Look at the board next time you go to load the lift. Along with that, they've spend hundreds of hours on woodworking, painting and woods pruning amoung other things. We were in perilous shape 5 years ago. Every bit helps. MY HATS OFF TO ALL OF THEM.

jrmagic

BTW ON3P Skis is setting up another demo day this Sunday 4/5 in case anyone missed it last time. See how those handmade west coast skis do in east coast corn.

I demoed a pair of the Kartel 98s on the hard pack the week before last and they were a blast. I t will be fun to try them in soft snow.

MMP

What upsets you? I bought that flag and raised it about a month ago. That's the National Flag of Switzerland, home of Hans Thorner, founder of Magic. It's not a "Red Cross" flag, LOL! The other two poles have rigging problems. I (Via TW) gave the American and Vermont flags to Emily in the office. I figured the Swiss flag was the most identifying. The middle pole mast is strung incorrectly too, so it only goes up part way.

I had a long email "chat" with Tom. He wants to take care of re-roping them after the snow ski season ends, the mud is gone and his folks have some time to spare. He also wants to light the flags so they can stay up 7x24. BTW, for all the promises, nobody ever sent me any money for the flags. :roll:

Bill

For all of your good intention, nothing was done. What's there looks worse than no flag because it isn't done properly, nor will it be unless you do it yourself. Flying the Swiss flag solo? Suit yourself, I'm not a fan.

Did you post your paypal address? several people offered you a few dollars for your "investment" how was that supposed to happen? Let's all meet at the flagpole and reimburse you when they all go up. ahahahahahah

"light the flag poles".. ahahahahahahahahahahah

makimono

What you may not realize pinhead is that Bills' intentional positioning of the Swiss flag - at half mast and upside down, an international sign of distress - is a hidden reference to S.O.S.P. or Save Our Ski Patrol....a subtle middle finger on the middle flagpole if you will.

MMP

Emblematic of the black chair, broken and doesn't go all the way to the top

mriceyman

are you skipping part of the story? no warning or anything like that?

Sorry just came back to this thread. A little way up a patroller a chair back yelled to put the bar down. We complied immediately and said sorry. A we got to the top he came over to us to explain the law. We said no problem ad we would make sure to keep the bar down. Well as we are about to head down another patroller heard the end of our little convo and said well im going to clip their pass to make sure it doesnt happen again. I was shocked honestly. So my buddy and i had clipped passes from the last place id ever think i would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

Sorry just came back to this thread. A little way up a patroller a chair back yelled to put the bar down. We complied immediately and said sorry. A we got to the top he came over to us to explain the law. We said no problem ad we would make sure to keep the bar down. Well as we are about to head down another patroller heard the end of our little convo and said well im going to clip their pass to make sure it doesnt happen again. I was shocked honestly. So my buddy and i had clipped passes from the last place id ever think i would happen.

Clipped just means you got a warning? You didn't lose the passes?

Scruffy

Sounds harsh, but think about how bad the PR would be from an injured or dead person falling off the lift. Magic is hanging on by a thread, any negative press would be a death knell.

Hado226

Clipped pass means one corner cut as a warning, and notice to anyone catching the guest with a subsequent violation that warning didnt work, at which time the pass would be pulled.

Clipped pass = warning
Pulled pass = go home, go to the bar, or buy another pass😄 and start the cycle again.

MMP

Sounds harsh, but think about how bad the PR would be from an injured or dead person falling off the lift. Magic is hanging on by a thread, any negative press would be a death knell.

How would a dead person falling falling from a lift be a pr problem?

RustyGroomer

But that PR could scare more kids & families away? Continue the "Steeped in Vermont" theme.

Sorry, anyone who knows me knows I hate that. Moving on, it should be another great weekend. Still so much snow.

Tin

Next year's spring fling they are replacing the flamingos with dead bodies. Might need to get a bigger yellow bin though.

makimono

Anyone up at Magic this weekend? I'm sure RG and JR were...you guys must have had a blast yesterday.

I'll be up tomorrow at least...saw on the website they've hinted at staying open thru the 19th. That'd be awesome, long range outlook says mother nature doesn't really turn on the heater for another week.

MommaBear

Was at Magic late this morning. Took 3 runs and called it quits - snow was way too firm everywhere except right at the lift. This morning's snow report read that the snow hadn't frozen up overnight and that we'd be skiing the same soft bumps as yesterday. Yeah, not. Was very disappointed as the snow report was the only reason I went. Group of 5 or six others were in the lodge negotiating some sort of refund because of the conditions when we left.

makimono

Sacre Bleu!

Well at least you had a good day yesterday...I'm still going up tomorrow even if it's just ripping Trick to Show Off on some demo powder boards.

vonski

Friday was off the wall incredible. It was like 2 inches of butter on top of the snow pack all day. I had warm temp wax on skis and never stopped short all day. It was incredible. The hill was soft but just the top layers so. It probably got firm real quick Saturday Morning when temps dropped.

Went to Killington Saturday. K peak to Rams head was winter wonderland. Woods in play as well. Luckily for the new snow as there was hard pack to boiler plate that froze up over night on lots of the trails. It would have sucked with out the new snow. Bear Mountain was is own climate. It was a corn fest over there.