• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

MMP

Was at Magic late this morning. Took 3 runs and called it quits - snow was way too firm everywhere except right at the lift. This morning's snow report read that the snow hadn't frozen up overnight and that we'd be skiing the same soft bumps as yesterday. Yeah, not. Was very disappointed as the snow report was the only reason I went. Group of 5 or six others were in the lodge negotiating some sort of refund because of the conditions when we left.

There's not many ski areas that would consider a refund under those circumstances. Did they actually give money back?

MommaBear

There's not many ski areas that would consider a refund under those circumstances. Did they actually give money back?
Not sure. The Magic employee talking with them said she would go see what she could do. I left before she came back. I didn't attempt a refund because I get that it is the risk you take. But I will never trust their snow report again, that is for sure.

jrmagic

Saturday afternoon wasn't like Friday but ehen the sun came out it did soften up on some trails like Sorceror, witch, broomstick, Blackline and mystery to name a few. The ungroomed skied better than the groomed as there was a lot of water left in the snow when they groomed and that turned pretty solid but was edgeable.

doublediamond

First off, a lot of ski areas have snow guarantee refunds. But here's the kicker: it's one thing to have bad conditions; it's an entirely different scenario to post on your snow report that the snow didn't freeze up overnight when in fact it did. That constitutes fraud. I'd be livid if I was there/them.

jrmagic

First off, a lot of ski areas have snow guarantee refunds. But here's the kicker: it's one thing to have bad conditions; it's an entirely different scenario to post on your snow report that the snow didn't freeze up overnight when in fact it did. That constitutes fraud. I'd be livid if I was there/them.

Fraud? That's a bit of a reach. I will give you overly optomistic at best. As or early that morning it was not below freezing so it wasn't that hard. Temps were dropping through the morning Ungroomed was softer than groomed and last I checked there are no moguls on groomers. Furthermore, I did ski soft bumps for part of the day at least and earlier in the day they were a little firm but not rock hard.

vonski

I didn't ski Magic Saturday. But when the snow report was posted in the am. It was still raining. It was probably soft. The weather report was for falling temps all day. So, of course it got firmer not softer. What I don't understand is why can't folks figure it out themselves. I mean falling Temps mean hardening conditions.
Killington was one big boiler plate Saturday. If not for the new snow it would have sucked. The snow was wet when it fell but dried out with the wind and falling Temps; Saving the day!

So, go ahead and Sue Ma Nature. She is Fraudulent daily.!!!!!!

gmcunni

I didn't ski Magic Saturday. But when the snow report was posted in the am. It was still raining. It was probably soft. The weather report was for falling temps all day. So, of course it got firmer not softer. What I don't understand is why can't folks figure it out themselves. I mean falling Temps mean hardening conditions.

i think you give the general public too much credit for figuring things out.

makimono

Had a fun day yesterday bombing around the groomers with a group of about 8 crazies...we descended on the ON3P tent like locusts and picked 'em clean. The girls really raved about the Jessies...I took a few runs on the Wrenegades in 112 and 102 flavor. The 112's felt comically short and wide to me at 176, fun to toss around but I didn't have the confidence in them to really set the edge and let them run down Talli. The 102's on the other hand ripped at the 186 length. But I also have very very low standards as I started and finished the day on my 25 year old K2 205's haha.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder JR, hope it heals up quick for you!

jrmagic

Had a fun day yesterday bombing around the groomers with a group of about 8 crazies...we descended on the ON3P tent like locusts and picked 'em clean. The girls really raved about the Jessies...I took a few runs on the Wrenegades in 112 and 102 flavor. The 112's felt comically short and wide to me at 176, fun to toss around but I didn't have the confidence in them to really set the edge and let them run down Talli. The 102's on the other hand ripped at the 186 length. But I also have very very low standards as I started and finished the day on my 25 year old K2 205's haha.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder JR, hope it heals up quick for you!

Thank you sir. I will be OK...sniff sniff.... :( As for ON3P I ran around on the the 98 Kartel in a 181 when they were there 2 weeks ago. Thought the ski was fantastic.

MommaBear

It was not raining when I read the first report. And it was not soft, except right at the lift area. There was no mention of "dropping temps" in the first view of the report (they did reflect that wording in a report posted later when I checked it around 12:30...). My bad for not checking weather reports as well I guess. As for it softening up jrmagic, we left around 1pm with no sun in sight. Guess we should have stuck it out longer?

RustyGroomer

Killington was one big boiler plate Saturday. If not for the new snow it would have sucked. The snow was wet when it fell but dried out with the wind and falling Temps; Saving the day!

So, go ahead and Sue Ma Nature. She is Fraudulent daily.!!!!!!

Exactly. I don't get any of this. 60 degree's & sun on Friday to below freezing Saturday,.........hmmmmmmmmm?

Back to Friday. Remember Friday? That day quite a few people bailed because of the "rain"? The best spring day in years Friday? This is weather people. We cannot predict it & certainly cannot expect Magic to.

jrmagic

It was not raining when I read the first report. And it was not soft, except right at the lift area. There was no mention of "dropping temps" in the first view of the report (they did reflect that wording in a report posted later when I checked it around 12:30...). My bad for not checking weather reports as well I guess. As for it softening up jrmagic, we left around 1pm with no sun in sight. Guess we should have stuck it out longer?

Wasn't trying to rebuke your experience but had you stuck around there was some good snow around. Sorry you didn't get to enjoy it.

mriceyman

Clipped just means you got a warning? You didn't lose the passes?

Yea just lost a corner. I think if they are going to be that strict then they need more signage at the base of the lift. We checked after and there was not one sign while in line saying its a law to have the bar down. And i understand where they are coming from but it was a little harsh if you ask me. Especially when we complied right away .

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

RustyGroomer

Really? You seriously need more signage to put your bar down? Loaf nut, i'll be there. Should be plenty of snow.

jimmywilson69

If they are enforcing a state law, and clipping tickets for not complying then yes I think signage is necessary. I believe I've seen similar signs at other resorts in Vermont (Killington, Sugarbush, or Stowe I can't remember which place).

If it weren't for this message board or seeing said sign how would I, being a non Vermont resident, know its state law to put the safety bar down?

RustyGroomer

State law? Is that what this is about? I thought it was about common sense. I cannot believe I am even replying here. Do you need a sign to tie your shoes in the morning?

jimmywilson69

I don't disagree with the common sense part. However if the resort and it's representative (e.g. ski patrol) are going to enforce putting the bar down by clipping tickets, don't you think some public awareness should be implemented?

I haven heard of someone getting " clipped" for years. Let alone for not putting bar down. If that's the stance the resort wants to take, so be it but at least let the paying public know the penalty.