• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

C-Rex

Over the weekend, I got some of those Facebook history notices about some powder days at Magic last year. Something about 18 inches of fresh and bombing the lift lines. *Sigh* :sadwalk:

Tin

Sitting in the baselodge now at Magic with about 200 racers/parents/coaches waiting for the Red to feel like warming up in the -9 temp my car said when I turned it off about 20 min ago.....

The word from the coaches is they hope to have it spinning for 9

Oh damn. Hope they get things going.

If experience is any guide, it sounds like the kids have a cold boot pack ahead of them.

At least the top of Show Off is only about 500 vertical feet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

The Red is alive!!

07ab226.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's all great and dandy but nobody has updated us on the status of the flags. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

What's all the fuss about? If Red breaks down they have Black as a backup. Oh, wait...

I feel your pain. The Willoughby chair at Burke gets the same amount of love that Magic gives Black.

lotsarocks

I wouldn't count black out yet!! They are working on it today.
Not sure what's going on with snowmaking though. Nothing on carumba or red line. There's some on lower redline for the hocus cross over and medium looks to be hit hard. Maybe next week.

drjeff

A little Monday afternoon welding and grinding on the base terminal Bullwheel of the Black

Attachments

• 1455562674412.jpg
    1455562674412.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 225

Smellytele

I actually signed up for Mountain Sports club with the Magic tix include. Well Magic never sent the tickets to MSC that they said they would so I have been waiting all season long for them. So now they instead offered me Jay/ WV or Ragged tix in their place. Don't really want any of them. Already have 1/2 off Jay and Ragged tix and really don't like WV. So Magic screwed them and in turn me. MSC really should have waited until they had Tix in hand before offering the deal.

Tin

MSC really should have waited until they had Tix in hand before offering the deal.

Most places do the same and most agreements are made prior to tix in hand during the summer, typical business practice. Cannot blame MSC because Magic completely screwed them over.

Smellytele

Most places do the same and most agreements are made prior to tix in hand during the summer, typical business practice. Cannot blame MSC because Magic completely screwed them over.

I don't blame MSC much - I am blaming Magic. 5% MSC - 95% Magic. MSC at least is offering me another choice for the same price

SIKSKIER

Never having the good fortune of skiing Magic I'm trying to understand if I'm seeing this correct.Is the only open terrain open 1 ttb beginner and 1 ttb most/more difficult runs?If so with what appears to be a pretty advanced regular Magic skier level,are most skiing that 1 ttb run?

drjeff

Never having the good fortune of skiing Magic I'm trying to understand if I'm seeing this correct.Is the only open terrain open 1 ttb beginner and 1 ttb most/more difficult runs?If so with what appears to be a pretty advanced regular Magic skier level,are most skiing that 1 ttb run?

From having skied Magic on Monday, yup, you're correct

What they have open is almost like a figure 8 - the top loop of the 8 on the upper say 3rd of the mountain, a single connector (for now at least) in the middle section and then the lower loop of the 8 on the bottom roughly 1/3rd. That's it!!!

They've started making snow on a couple of other pieces of trails off the route that's open now. The entire West side of the mountain from what I could see hasn't seen any snowmaking this year (Talisman, which usually gets a decent coat of manmade looked ugly with just a few inches of natural snow on it and a bunch of grass and rocks sticking through as you looked up at it).

On Monday, before the rain and warm of yesterday arrived, I had to walk across from roughly the top of the tubing hill, under the Red chair and over to the bottom of the race hill to watch my kids race runs (usually you can ski down a trail next to Showoff, the race hill, and cut over to the finish area but there's not enough snow, even by Magic standards, to do that right now), and as I was walking through the woods (way too much exposed rock and underbrush to even think of keeping my skis on!!), the snowpack on the ground barely made it over the toebox of my boots :eek:

Just sad to see what's going on at Magic this year between the management issues and the debacle mother nature is throwing at them as well, as there's so much really good terrain there when they've got snow

MadMadWorld

It was rough today. Gates were up on the only beginner trail and the "easiest way down" as the website claimed was non existent in the AM (wand to hocus pokus was roped off). Felt awful bringing my brothers fiance who has only been skiing a few times. They at least did the right thing and let them keep their lift ticket as well as give them vouchers that is good through 16-17 season (hopefully there will be one).

bheemsoth

Anyone interested in a couple of Groupon Magic vouchers on the cheap? Due to work commitments, I don't think we'll be able to make it this year.