• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

rocks860

Did about 7 or 8 runs today, the snow was amazing. Was withmy girlfriend who has only been snowboarding for about a year
And hasn't been to many mountains in vermont so some of the time was spent convincing her she could make it down the greens at Magic. She did phenomenally once she got the confidence up but the cold drove her inside early. Spent the rest of my runs on the trails, didn't venture into the woods because I didn't really know where I was going. There was bountiful fresh snow on the sides of pretty much every trail and it seemed like barely anyone on the trails. Did venture down goniff glade. The top of witch was super sketchy but once you got onto goniff the snow was fantastic. Overall great day especially with the 2 for 63 bucks deal. Girlfriend already wants to come back to magic!

dlague

This is good news for magic - not so great for the skiers/riders... Hopefully Magic is making plenty of money this season so they can get black running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Magic redeemed it self later in the after noon when around 2:30 lines got shorter. 15 minutes or less. But what was cool is the fact that Tom Barker was out there meeting people in line and telling them what the issue is with the Black Lift. Apparently, it failed inspection due to the bearings on the chair that let it swing. They got to the point where they were not swinging properly and the state considered it a safety hazard. He said he is hoping to get the parts that are needed soon - have to be replaced on every chair.

In any case the last 1.5 hours were super fun.

C-Rex

OK Magic redeemed it self later in the after noon when around 2:30 lines got shorter. 15 minutes or less. But what was cool is the fact that Tom Barker was out there meeting people in line and telling them what the issue is with the Black Lift. Apparently, it failed inspection due to the bearings on the chair that let it swing. They got to the point where they were not swinging properly and the state considered it a safety hazard. He said he is hoping to get the parts that are needed soon - have to be replaced on every chair.

In any case the last 1.5 hours were super fun.

That's really cool that he went out and talked to people. I love Magic. I hope they get the funds they need to keep the lifts in shape. Maybe they need a gofundme site to get things going.

dlague

Gated? Nope....fully roped. Well Witch is which to makes Goniff and Red Line closed.

Witch was in tough shape but skiable IMO on Saturday. They should just groom it to get to Goniff because Goniff was awesome. The first section after Witch on Red Line was getting beat up from people braking so much little lower it had nice bumps.

Looks like they are taking away the top of the mountain - Sorcerer and Broomstick will provide no challenges and not sure what Twilight Zone is like.

SnowRock

Made the inaugural trip sunday morning.. about a 4 am departure from NJ and was in the Magic lot by 8:45. It was cold but a great time. Ton of fresh to be found every run if you looked. Tracing back my steps.. I think we started on magician to heart on the first run and it was a pretty sick intro to the place.

My riding buddy (and cousin) generally prefers ripping groomers but despite the work he had to put in, he loved it and we both couldn't believe how much snow we had to ourselves. Scene seemed pretty aggressive in black line as well with folks getting after it there, but we had to bounce as we decided to set-up near hunter for today to make the ride home a bit quicker.

Will definitely be back chasing some snow... especially now knowing the layout a bit more. Got into the goniff glades and the woods off one of the trails all the way west and both were fantastic. Avoided redline as the top seemed a bit too boney for me but with a bit more snow I'm sure its fun as fck.

rocks860

Witch was in tough shape but skiable IMO on Saturday. They should just groom it to get to Goniff because Goniff was awesome. The first section after Witch on Red Line was getting beat up from people braking so much little lower it had nice bumps.

Looks like they are taking away the top of the mountain - Sorcerer and Broomstick will provide no challenges and not sure what Twilight Zone is like.

Witch was really rough yesterday, super difficult to even get an edge at the top. It's a shame cause goniff was glorious

dlague

Made the inaugural trip sunday morning.. about a 4 am departure from NJ and was in the Magic lot by 8:45. It was cold but a great time. Ton of fresh to be found every run if you looked. Tracing back my steps.. I think we started on magician to heart on the first run and it was a pretty sick intro to the place.

My riding buddy (and cousin) generally prefers ripping groomers but despite the work he had to put in, he loved it and we both couldn't believe how much snow we had to ourselves. Scene seemed pretty aggressive in black line as well with folks getting after it there, but we had to bounce as we decided to set-up near hunter for today to make the ride home a bit quicker.

Will definitely be back chasing some snow... especially now knowing the layout a bit more. Got into the goniff glades and the woods off one of the trails all the way west and both were fantastic. Avoided redline as the top seemed a bit too boney for me but with a bit more snow I'm sure its fun as fck.

Though those trails you mentioned were roped off? Did you poach?

SnowRock

Though those trails you mentioned were roped off? Did you poach?

Yesterday? I know we definitely hit witch to goniff and black line on different runs. Looking at my ski tracks and the map maybe it was broomstick to heart of magician for the first run versus magic? I don't recall ducking any ropes.

dlague

Yesterday? I know we definitely hit witch to goniff and black line on different runs. Looking at my ski tracks and the map maybe it was broomstick to heart of magician for the first run versus magic? I don't recall ducking any ropes.

Oh yesterday - my bad! Goniff was sweet Saturday. Witch was getting bad but manageable on Saturday. Magician was roped.