• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

skiNEwhere

Yes and no. That is certainly a large factor and catch up is still being played. But many of the required parts are no longer available and must be custom manufactured at substantial expense. At some point you have to wonder if a new (used) lift would be cheaper over a ten year time frame. Probably yes, but you need the money upfront.

From what I've heard the issue is with the grips. Grips are interchangeable and don't need to be made by the original manufacturer of the lift. They could swap out yan grips with poma if they wanted to. Or they could probably find yan grips on the market, brianhead removed a yan over the summer, they could've bought parts from them.

zoomzoom

grips are certainly not "interchangeable".

first, they must fit the hanger head and not affect fore/aft chair swing when the grips are tensioned. they also must go over the black lifts' Lorunser and Mueller line sheaves while providing 15 degrees of swing clearance, they must fit the Pohlig return wheel and the unknown drive wheel too, they must provide adequate slip resistance at the steepest section of the line (just before the ledges), the manufacturer (or a PE registered in VT) must provide instructions for installation/proper installation, NDT procedures and verification that the grips automatically provide for adequate gripping with a 3% loss in rope diameter. do you know a PE that will certify replacement grips on the only Pohlig in the US?

skiNEwhere

I'm not sure what a PE is. But I do know that many resorts mix and match grips. Those aren't pohlig chairs either, they're Yan

I'm sure one of the major manufacturers (dopp, poma) would have an answer to those questions if magic asked

zoomzoom

hanger and chair are early L/E, am told the grips may be borvig or possibly cast locally. the hanger head is sized for D or T Type grips but they won't work on the line or in the terminals. since swapping out grips would trigger an overall engineering review by the state, you can bet neither Poma nor Dopplemayr will touch the black lift.

skithetrees

From what I've heard the issue is with the grips. Grips are interchangeable and don't need to be made by the original manufacturer of the lift. They could swap out yan grips with poma if they wanted to. Or they could probably find yan grips on the market, brianhead removed a yan over the summer, they could've bought parts from them.

Yes, that is the current issue. Many, many more have been addressed prior to the grips. I can't comment on the grips, as I just don't know, but many of the previous parts were custom machine shop jobs.

jrmagic

I apparantly missed all the noise here over Tom's letter. There have been some comments to a dress this so all I will add is that when that letter went out myself and a dozen or so other passholders were chatting about how this would be received by the general public who don't know Tom very well. The consensus was that when we see Tom we needed to tell him to find someone to help write his letters. He is very smart and has good business sense but writing is not his strong suit. With that I will leave that aspect alone. All I can say is that Magic should be opening in little more than a week and I am looking forward to another great season spent with friends and family on the trails, in the trees and then hanging with the whole Magic family at the BLT!!

RustyGroomer

Well said JR. I was struggling with just how to put this. The revised letter was much more on target with what's going on. From my point of view anyway. Looking forward to it JR!! Soon my friend.

jrmagic

Well said JR. I was struggling with just how to put this. The revised letter was much more on target with what's going on. From my point of view anyway. Looking forward to it JR!! Soon my friend.

From my point of view as well. I'm looking forward to making some turns with you very soon! I might miss opening day but will probably get there on the 12/26 and stay through 1/3 or 1/4.

RustyGroomer

Not sure what it is actually doing there. You might not want to know but you may...
10359549_10203262986395747_458621467578818939_n.jpg

doublediamond

All I can say is that Magic should be opening in little more than a week and I am looking forward to another great season spent with friends and family on the trails, in the trees and then hanging with the whole Magic family at the BLT!!

How if they haven't ordered compressors and are only using fans around the base?

Tin

Anyone heading up for opening weekend? Any word on Black? Given RG's video things look to be great.

xwhaler

Planning to be there the wknd after Xmas...either Sat or Sunday. Will look fwd to TRs this wknd.