• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

xwhaler

Updated the trail report. Some things are listed as groomed. Opening at 9:30.

So looks to me like 1 route from the top in what they could groom plus a couple low angle greens at the bottom that are largely grassy pastures that can open with minimal snow.
I think this is what opening day normally looks like for them. Guessing the rain/re freeze just made everything too crusty on the natural trails.

slatham

Three routes from top: Carpet, Up Your Sleeve, Trick. They obviously have made snow on Trick.

Lower mountain has Carpet, Mystery, Wand, Kinderspiel, Show Off, Hocus Pocus (and 33 1/3)

So definitely a variety of combinations/permutations and pretty good for pre-Christmas.

Given what I saw on video and what they plan to have open I have to think that Medium, Vertigo and Wizard must be close. But there could be rock/water bar issues?

Wish I could be up there. Hope the weather cooperates from Christmas!

slatham

Conservative trail count yesterday due to surface conditions being a bit hard/crusty, not due to base. From what I heard many of the trails not on the report were in fact open, and thus today's report shows them. If you look at pictures on Facebook they have plenty of base. Lets hope this weeks grinch storm isn't that bad, and there's a payback storm or two that follows it. THINK SNOW!!!

RustyGroomer

Yesterday, the West side was roped. Witch to Black was not. Today pretty much everything was good. Rope to West was open. A few ropes on Magician, Slide, etc. Everything else open & skiing really well. Even Redline. Bomber base. Nothing showing.

mriceyman

F@ckn rain storm is gona hurt.. Lets hope temps cool after

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Two storms possible post Grinch storm. Snow dances please so they end up being Magical.......

Thanks for report Greg. Was painful not being up there but so happy for Magic (and Tom) that the year got off to a good start.

Lets hope that "bomber" base absorbs the r#*@ bombs this week.....

JoeB-Z

Yesterday, the West side was roped. Witch to Black was not. Today pretty much everything was good. Rope to West was open. A few ropes on Magician, Slide, etc. Everything else open & skiing really well. Even Redline. Bomber base. Nothing showing.

I thought that given the amount of snow the skiing on Saturday was miserable. I'm sorry. I just can't handle frozen crust. The top of Trick in particular was a shame. The easy terrain was no pleasure. Yes I skied Witch to Black Line and it was awful. And I didn't see a single of the hot shots tackle Red Line, although it was not roped off. Now that's pretty bad. I passed for Sunday and went elsewhere. It things actually got better on Sunday, like grooming down to Talisman I really would have liked to know, but not a word. One thing if you have a house or condo there, but otherwise, how about some honest communication about what is going on.

crank

I skied Mt Snow in Friday and while coverage was quite good for this, or any , time of year in southern VT. it was typical frozen granular conditions. I skied a bump run on TNF and it was hard and crunchy. I don't see how Magic could be much different, but you have to realize if they are open it is all good!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I skied Mt Snow in Friday and while coverage was quite good for this, or any , time of year in southern VT. it was typical frozen granular conditions. I skied a bump run on TNF and it was hard and crunchy. I don't see how Magic could be much different, but you have to realize if they are open it is all good!
There can definitely be a diffwrence in the snow between Mt. Snow and Magic:

Natural snow vs. Manmade.
Crowds vs. None
Extensive daily grooming vs. No daily grooming.

Savemeasammy

I thought that given the amount of snow the skiing on Saturday was miserable. I'm sorry. I just can't handle frozen crust. The top of Trick in particular was a shame. The easy terrain was no pleasure. Yes I skied Witch to Black Line and it was awful. And I didn't see a single of the hot shots tackle Red Line, although it was not roped off. Now that's pretty bad. I passed for Sunday and went elsewhere. It things actually got better on Sunday, like grooming down to Talisman I really would have liked to know, but not a word. One thing if you have a house or condo there, but otherwise, how about some honest communication about what is going on.

I passed on skiing Magic on Saturday because of the trail report and went to Cannon. We skied the newly-opened natural runs at Mittersill most of the day. Early on, it was a light crust over some workable powder. Some turns were nice, some not so much. The skiing improved (IMO) as the day went on and the trails got skied-in. I wonder if this was the same case for Magic - particularly by Sunday? FWIW, I'm sure the Magic faithful are grading on a curve!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

how about some honest communication about what is going on.

Frozen and hard pack for a description isn't enough? How about "Rock f-ing hard to the point where you can't get an edge and will slide around. We suggest just staying home and not bothering skiing our mountain." That would be great for business.

IMO let it be rock hard so it has a chance against the kamikaze water droplets this week.

Smellytele

I passed on skiing Magic on Saturday because of the trail report and went to Cannon. We skied the newly-opened natural runs at Mittersill most of the day. Early on, it was a light crust over some workable powder. Some turns were nice, some not so much. The skiing improved (IMO) as the day went on and the trails got skied-in. I wonder if this was the same case for Magic - particularly by Sunday? FWIW, I'm sure the Magic faithful are grading on a curve!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Sunday at Cannon, Mittersil was in pretty good shape. Everything had been skied but it was still very soft and fun on the 4 runs I took over there. Maybe Magic turned out similar.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Ok, call me crazy.

See that! The lack of crowds and abundance of natural snow makes Magic always ski better than expected. The same can be said of Plattekill, which is a mountain from the same ilk. This was from Saturday at Platty:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 15880643739_52c43bc8ef.jpg
    15880643739_52c43bc8ef.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 194