• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

ShadyGrove

It sounds like a lot of folks aren't aware that a viable offer to buy Magic was put forth in Autumn '15. Unfortunately one of the owners got greedy and didn't think he was getting his fair share, so it fell apart. This was a major setback for if/how Magic will move forward.

You gotta have money to make money and the current ownership doesn't have enough to make even minor improvements. The shoestring budget is just enough to keep operations open while loosing money every day.

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
It sounds like a lot of folks aren't aware that a viable offer to buy Magic was put forth in Autumn '15. Unfortunately one of the owners got greedy and didn't think he was getting his fair share, so it fell apart. This was a major setback for if/how Magic will move forward.

You gotta have money to make money and the current ownership doesn't have enough to make even minor improvements. The shoestring budget is just enough to keep operations open while loosing money every day.

Define "open"

skithetrees

That's why I am not all that bummed about this season. This could force their hand a bit. I am telling myself this is simply short term pain for long term gain. Helps me stay positive, but unfortunate for the many people that work so hard for the mountain.

slatham

MRG replacing the single with a single was not about character, it was about controlling downhill traffic on steep, 100% natural terrain. That's one huge advantage of skiing Magic - the "uphill capacity to downhill acreage ratio" is very good for high quality skiing (when there's snow).

Can't do a T-bar on Phoenix due to need for expensive bridge over the creek, and the issue of the steeps/rock ledge on Green Line. Putting a T-bar back onto Show Off would be more reasonable/usable (i.e. racing, terrain park, early open). But not sure cost/benefit makes sense. Carpet lift does. So does the true beginner lift in the OLD Hocus Pocus area (lookers right of Black Lift).

If I were the guys looking to buy Magic last summer I would be thanking my lucky stars it fell through. I just hope the sellers realize their mistake and come to the table this summer and the deal gets done.

steamboat1

Who the hell drinks bud light at Magic?

This is how they make Bud Light.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 770d9f739101c00375e3885e269413dd.jpg
    770d9f739101c00375e3885e269413dd.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 337

drjeff

Who the hell drinks bud light at Magic?

Some of the parents of racer kids from Stratton and the Hermitage Club when they have to go there for a race ;-)

I can attest from many past personal experiences that us Mount Snow racer parents fully respect the quality of what flows through the tap lines at the BLT (And sometimes flows from the shot ski as well! ;-) )

BlueTrails

The Phoenix lift is DOA. Some of the footing work has structural issues and I believe there are survey issues as well such as misalignment. Thus 'finishing' the Phoenix is not in the cards. As to Black, it's value is for backup and capacity (should it ever snow in VT again). Red has failed at critical moments generating lines of very disappointed (to say the least) customers at the ticket window demanding refunds. I think it's a valid complaint that Magic is not beginner friendly and that reputation discourages families and new comers. The handle tow can be downright dangerous as a former ski instructor required knee surgery when got distracted and a 'handle' spun just enough to take out his leg. I'd love to see a real slow chair or even magic carpet go back in where Rabbit Run is. That used to be the beginner area a long time ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Phoenix lift is DOA. Some of the footing work has structural issues and I believe there are survey issues as well such as misalignment. Thus 'finishing' the Phoenix is not in the cards. As to Black, it's value is for backup and capacity (should it ever snow in VT again). Red has failed at critical moments generating lines of very disappointed (to say the least) customers at the ticket window demanding refunds. I think it's a valid complaint that Magic is not beginner friendly and that reputation discourages families and new comers. The handle tow can be downright dangerous as a former ski instructor required knee surgery when got distracted and a 'handle' spun just enough to take out his leg. I'd love to see a real slow chair or even magic carpet go back in where Rabbit Run is. That used to be the beginner area a long time ago.

Interesting. From the photos I've seen I thought that the Phoenix looked a bit off. As in not lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

" Red has failed at critical moments generating lines of very disappointed (to say the least) customers at the ticket window demanding refunds."

I haven't experienced this since the refurb two summers ago, but for a long list of reasons have not been over this year. Has Red had issues this year or last?

Also, anyone have insight as to whether Magic might make some snow to try to expand terrain? While the weather pattern is ripe for some storms, thus far they have been missing So VT.

jrmagic

" Red has failed at critical moments generating lines of very disappointed (to say the least) customers at the ticket window demanding refunds."

I haven't experienced this since the refurb two summers ago, but for a long list of reasons have not been over this year. Has Red had issues this year or last?

Also, anyone have insight as to whether Magic might make some snow to try to expand terrain? While the weather pattern is ripe for some storms, thus far they have been missing So VT.

Depends on what you mean by "issues". It blew an o ring during Christmas week last year leaving people stuck on the lift for an hour (myself included) and took another hour plus to fix after that. Not really a big problem but when it's the only lift running it quickly becomes one.

JamaicaMan

" Also, anyone have insight as to whether Magic might make some snow to try to expand terrain? While the weather pattern is ripe for some storms, thus far they have been missing So VT.

They plan to make snow this week on all existing open trails to improve conditions there. Then perhaps add a Carumba/lower Red and Medium

ShadyGrove

They plan to make snow this week on all existing open trails to improve conditions there. Then perhaps add a Carumba/lower Red and Medium

Caveat - once the compressor parts are received. They are expected either Tuesday or Wednesday.

slatham

Thx. Lets hope this weeks snow activity outperforms the forecast and one of the several storms over the next 10 days delivers deep snow to SoVT (I don't need it in my back yard on Long Island!!!!)

mbedle

Is it possible these guys are going to finish out the season with only one expert/intermediate trail open TTB? I knew they had limited snowmaking capacity, just didn't think it was that bad.