• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
There are a lot of people out there that really want to know what went on. I would hope that the current management is transparent and 100% clear about exactly what went wrong here. A full scale alpine update with all of the details would be nice. And nobody gives a shit about the weather on Tuesday or how many "young people" got their cars stuck in the mud.

steamboat1

attachment.php

Attachments

• dreamstime_s_18701658.jpg
    dreamstime_s_18701658.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 392

Magic

So now I read no one wants to buy season passes, but don't they need the season pass money to get the lifts done now?

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
Sounds about right. That and snowmaking. Going to be in a real chicken and egg situation soon.

"I'm not buying a pass unless the mountain is open."
"I can't open unless a bunch of people buy passes to support lifts and snowmaking."

And around we go. Like a carousel. Goes around and around and up and down. Hoping for a bull dance on the other side of this.

slatham

Given the work on the lifts that has already occurred and is in process, I would speculate that Tom had capital from last year and early (spring) season pass sales to complete. I think fall season pass sales (and 3 packs etc etc) will be the factor that determines the early season snowmaking budget. But I think that to drive fall sales he will need to come out with some definitive news on the status of the lifts, plans for snowmaking etc. There's too much skepticism from the core season pass audience to overcome without such a statement. Hope that happens, otherwise we'll be reliant on natural snow.

doublediamond

facebook says

To the people worried if it will open: this wasn't the buyers backing out, it was the sellers deciding they wanted to keep control. If there wasn't capital to open it wouldn't have been held and the sale would have gone through. Magic will open, it will simply be sans influx of cash and new people. Pretty bummed, but the show will go on and the mountain will open.

Jesus.

Barely any money to open last year. Thoughts there would be no money this year. Then cancel the deal.

Did the Magic owner(s) go to the James Confalone School of Business?

(If you don't know who James Confalone is, I suggest you read up on Big Squaw, ME. To this day he refuses to sell his land yet hold grasp on an under-capitalized ski area like a control freak.)

doublediamond

Can someone give a low-down of Magic ownership/operators now and in the past? Seems a jumble of the same people (minus Jim). What' this Rob L's role in Magic? He the minority owner with the association dues issue?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jesus.

Barely any money to open last year. Thoughts there would be no money this year. Then cancel the deal.

Did the Magic owner(s) go to the James Confalone School of Business?

(If you don't know who James Confalone is, I suggest you read up on Big Squaw, ME. To this day he refuses to sell his land yet hold grasp on an under-capitalized ski area like a control freak.)

Sounds about right. :(

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
An article from last summer had this to say:

There are two entities that own Magic Mountain. The land and most of the infrastructure is owned by Magic Mountain Management, which has three partners: The family of Larry Nelson, now deceased, who bought the property at auction in 2002; Rob Lyszczarz, a New Jersey-based Realtor, and Barker, who owns a minority voting share (all are longtime Magic skiers). MMM then leases the ski area to an operating company. Most recently this was JSL Magic and Sullivan, but it has included other entities over the years.

Source:
http://www.powder.com/stories/magic-mountain-changes-ownership/

Wheeler

MMM owns the mountain and facilities, but MMM now has 2 partners: Tom B and Rob L. The Nelsons gave over their ownership interest last year. This past year, MMM leased the ski area to Tom B.

jrmagic

Can someone give a low-down of Magic ownership/operators now and in the past? Seems a jumble of the same people (minus Jim). What' this Rob L's role in Magic? He the minority owner with the association dues issue?

Not defending the actions of the current owners cause I think they are ridiculous for backing away from the sale but I'm pretty sure I would have heard about association dues lapsing by a member of the ownership/management company and I havent.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well hopefully cooler heads will prevail and something can be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

doublediamond

Not defending the actions of the current owners cause I think they are ridiculous for backing away from the sale but I'm pretty sure I would have heard about association dues lapsing by a member of the ownership/management company and I havent.

That's what someone said a few pages ago.

Wheeler

Rob L lapsed on condo association fees, not those associated with MMM or Magic Mountain.

Do Work

I love naysayers and downtalkers. It makes me laugh and motivates me to do more. While they smugly sit behind their keyboards and talk shit to feel like a big man, we work towards a better tomorrow. Fuck em haha

VTKilarney

I love naysayers and downtalkers. It makes me laugh and motivates me to do more. While they smugly sit behind their keyboards and talk shit to feel like a big man, we work towards a better tomorrow. Fuck em haha

You need to learn to relax!