• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

xwhaler

I'm a bit concerned w/ how Magic will recover after this wet stuff plus the cool down...possible lift icing? If the crew is out de icing the lift I wonder how much manpower/resources will go into blowing new snow and/or grooming.
I love Magic but they have a bit of a skeleton crew that can limit how much/how quickly they can get done coming out of these events.

I'm thinking Pico on Saturday, assess how they have recovered and if looks ok Magic Sunday.

rocks860

I'm a bit concerned w/ how Magic will recover after this wet stuff plus the cool down...possible lift icing? If the crew is out de icing the lift I wonder how much manpower/resources will go into blowing new snow and/or grooming.
I love Magic but they have a bit of a skeleton crew that can limit how much/how quickly they can get done coming out of these events.

I'm thinking Pico on Saturday, assess how they have recovered and if looks ok Magic Sunday.

I was thinking pico saturday too, do you think the conditions will be alright? I've never been there before

xwhaler

I was thinking pico saturday too, do you think the conditions will be alright? I've never been there before

Unsure....hard to say how they will recover but they have multiple lifts so if one goes down due to icing you have options.
High of 41 with some sun on Sat so may even get some softening with any luck.

rocks860

Unsure....hard to say how they will recover but they have multiple lifts so if one goes down due to icing you have options.
High of 41 with some sun on Sat so may even get some softening with any luck.

Sorry for semi hijacking this but any ideas what areas might be better than others on Saturday?

slatham

I don't think icing will be a problem for Friday - I think it will all melt by then.

Recovery via snowmaking will be slow to come online EVERYWHERE. Small window Friday night. Small window Saturday night. Its not until Sunday and beyond that it will be full-on for snowmaking. The saving grace for Friday and Saturday may be temps in mid 30's so it softens up!

The real questions are how bad is the damage, and do we get some snow in the forecast Sunday and beyond.

SO THINK SNOW!!!!

Savemeasammy

Any update on the conditions at Magic? The trail report looks pretty bleak... Is it because of the bullet proof conditions, and is it likely that more terrain opens up if temps rise at all this weekend?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

reefer

Was there yesterday. I'll put together a report and post it. May have been water bars..........? East Side was bulletproof where a groomer had been at some point................
Natty stuff was "thawing" and dangerous.

jrmagic

I got up here yesterday afternoon and had a few runs to end the day. I can't skeak for the morning but Saturday afternoon was softening up nicely and was a lot of fun. The West side was closed. Skied again today and things were very soft and again fun. Still no west side but whatever was open was soft and fun. ROTD was up your sleeve to vertigo. Good coverage on witch red and black so hopefully we will get some snow on top of that base soon.

MMP

can't believe what a bunch of babies post here. Go to Stratton.

Last edited:

vonski

So, what will be open this weekend. CT ski council days this SAT and Sunday? Mt. snow did well with this last bit of snow. How did Magic do?

drjeff

how is that tracked? you have inside info? i just curious.

14" in the last week at Mount Snow, and once the 1/2 pipe is cut in the next few days, the rebuild of Gulch and the 1st build of The Junkyard parks are done by the weekend, Mount Snow will be 100% open!

drjeff

As for Magic, just a heads up that about 110-120 10+11 yr olds (and their parents and associated race coaches) wearing GS suits, will be there on Sunday for a Southern VT Council U12 dual GS race - once the probably 200+ people skiing in association with the race get up the hill at about 8 and get spread out a bit it shouldn't effect lines much - might be a bit of a back up at 8 though!

Looking forward to my 1st of 3 trips as "racer Dad" to Magic this season on Sunday! :)

xwhaler

Let us know if there is any evidence of guns going on either Upper Wizard or Talisman. I'd like to think they will make an effort at some point in getting those open instead of just waiting for natural snow.
As I mentioned before, the mtn skies much more interesting when there is an East Side and West side route in lean snow times.

jrmagic

Magic got about 4 at the base from the Sunday night Monday event. Not sure about after that. At the BLT Sunday evening Tom was talking about sending the groomer to break up all the ice on Talisman so that's a good sign. Heading up early Saturday morning so will try and report back here at end of day.

slatham

Great news - West side opened this weekend! I guess the large number of little storms has finally added up. Hopefully this week's storm sets them up for the duration. Hopefully my schedule finally allows a Magic day.........

JoeB-Z

Great news - West side opened this weekend! I guess the large number of little storms has finally added up. Hopefully this week's storm sets them up for the duration. Hopefully my schedule finally allows a Magic day.........

It was so sweet this weekend. My legs are burning.