• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

makimono

If they keep this good communication up I may have to get a new sticker :dunce:

20150827_212525_zpsdryshvci.jpg

Magic

The thing that people who aren't property owners at a certain ski area don't seem to fully grasp, is that while the skiing is an important decision about why you chose to buy property there, its just one of many factors that ultimately made you want to sign the mortgage papers. It can be about the proximity to your permanent residence, your family situation and how it works at that particular ski area, friends that you have at that ski area, the overall feeling and vibe that you get from that ski area, off season recreation and relaxation opportunities at the area and in that general region, etc, etc, etc.

All that comes together to make to choose to buy there, and when it does all come together, you feel a strong sense of pride and community towards that mountain, and there are likely many others, with that same sense of pride and community towards that same mountain that you share a common bond with. It's really something that unless you've experienced it 1st hand, you can't really grasp it. And once you've experienced it 1st hand, you know it's something that you want to continue for a long time to come!

Amen!

JoeB-Z

So, Does anyone actually know why the black failed last year? I thought I remember reading or hearing from someone on the lift ride up while skiing one day last year, about the chairs not swinging correctly anymore, but I am not sure. If that is the case they would need to replace the bearings on the arms to fix something like that I would think. Trying to get back on topic. Which would take a torch and press likely to get the old ones out if it is anything like the bearings on my KIA.

As I understand it, they ran the chair during the Black Magic Challenge or another free ride event. The inspector told the management (Sullivan) not to run the lift as it comes about six feet from the slope at one point. I rode the lift that day and the views were awesome. Of course, people like that have no problem with a lift "obstacle". But if you cross the inspector- woe is you.

So then it "failed"

Joe

SnowRock

Last year was my first ever trip to Magic. I'd probably be the sort they'd want coming back/more often. I had been a bit scared away about the lift situation so getting another option running would make me more at ease with the choice to ride there more frequently.

It hard to pontificate about the market as I don't know the overall so vt skier/rider demos... but why not. To me the selling point is simply the terrain. Its unmatched in my experience of Southern VT mountains. I think there is probably a good sized group of like minded sorts that would come back for more of that once experienced. I can also see how Magic might appeal to a family as a mountain without the sprawl that can enable skiing on different trails without the fear of separation. So you need to get people on mountain to experience that terrain and do so while encouraging families of mixed abilities. That would probably be the marketing riddle I worked on. That is also why you need lift reliability.. that first visit needs to be a good one. Obviously snow making also plays a role there but I think that is something you can properly manage expectations around.

Hitting Magic on a day like I had its easy to see why people love it. I'll head back again this year for sure... and maybe more than once.

Do Work

As I understand it, they ran the chair during the Black Magic Challenge or another free ride event. The inspector told the management (Sullivan) not to run the lift as it comes about six feet from the slope at one point. I rode the lift that day and the views were awesome. Of course, people like that have no problem with a lift "obstacle". But if you cross the inspector- woe is you.

So then it "failed"

Joe

While it's true that they were not allowed to run the black chair during the STE comp due to clearance (way more than 6' though), it's not true that's why it was "failed" at all- That was due to mechanical concerns that are currently being remedied. Also, it may be possible to circumvent the clearance problems by selectively fencing off areas of concern, and I'm sure that will be looked into by patrol this season.

The lift inspectors are all great guys though. They have a tough job for sure, and I understand their concerns.

sull1102

While it's true that they were not allowed to run the black chair during the STE comp due to clearance (way more than 6' though), it's not true that's why it was "failed" at all- That was due to mechanical concerns that are currently being remedied. Also, it may be possible to circumvent the clearance problems by selectively fencing off areas of concern, and I'm sure that will be looked into by patrol this season.

The lift inspectors are all great guys though. They have a tough job for sure, and I understand their concerns.

Sounds like there's a chance the black chair will be up and running this year?

prsboogie

So when, realistically, do you think they may finalize this shite, and announce the new ownership?

slatham

I think SnowRock's comments are very indicative of how people feel when they first ski Magic, assuming the conditions are OK and the lifts don't have any issues. In fact, I can't recall anyone having skied Magic under such circumstances and yet claim to not want to return! Sure, they will have comments typical of people use to nearby resorts (lifts are slow, lodge a bit dated, "what's with the half finished ghost lift?", etc) but in the end its always "I'll be back". That is why I think Magic is SO close to making a serious go of it.

yeggous

I'm not sure why people love the Magic terrain so much. Sure it's better than the local competition, but that's sort of like winning the special Olympics. For the same drive time, there are numerous better options for New Englanders.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Re: Black, from what I understand from reliable, inside sources from last spring, there was an agreed path to fix Black to the satisfaction of the inspectors. What I do not know is whether any of that works was done, or if not, whether, it can be completed before the season (I thus hope Do Work is right). However, I find it hard to believe that new owners would come in and not fix Black for this season, but this is IMHO. But if I had to bet I'd say Black is running.

On the ownership changes, given the recent pick up in web site and FB activity, and the scheduled volunteer days, which I SPECULATE is being driven by the new owners, I would SPECULATE that they have to be close, very close. But as a businessman I know that things can unravel so my fingers remain crossed.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm not sure why people love the Magic terrain so much.
It's pretty plain in my book. No lines. Anywhere. Ski where you want. Cheap for the challenge, but also for the neglected blues and greens. Close by. Easy to park, unload, boot up, get a seat. Great place to hide on the holidays.

Full disclosure: I'd never buy a season pass, nor a condo at any one area. Too boring. I ski up and down the spine of VT, favoring those with the best blacks and BC. Down south, I don't care for Stratton or Okemo (not chill, little challenge). When I buy tix in the summer, Magic is in the mix with Jay, $teaux, Sugarbush, MRG, Saddleback and Sugarloaf. I ski lots of other areas to be with other people, but not for myself.

VTKilarney

There is a lot to love about Magic. But that love evaporates very quickly when there is a bad snow year. If I did not live locally, I'd be nervous buying a season's pass at Magic and risking the weather.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
There is a lot to love about Magic. But that love evaporates very quickly when there is a bad snow year. If I did mot live locally, I'd be nervous buying a season's pass at Magic and risking the weather.

I don't think that factors into the logic of most Magic skiers. They'd rather ski Magic only partially open with exposed dirt and rocks than ski at the other local hills on pristine manmade. Conditions and terrain aren't the only draw. Now this obviously limits their pool of core customers because the average Joe puts a higher premium on conditions and is willing to tolerate the masses.

It's the same reason that I have no desire for a Loon pass even though it's very convenient for me.

Do Work

I'm not sure why people love the Magic terrain so much. Sure it's better than the local competition, but that's sort of like winning the special Olympics. For the same drive time, there are numerous better options for New Englanders.

Well that depends on a lot of things like where you're driving from and what you find particularly endearing about specific places. If you can't see why people love the terrain at Magic, I'm guessing that's simply not what you're after- and that's totally fine too. That's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream :beer: I know plenty of people perfectly happy across the valley and I'm happy that they're happy.

Look, I'll be the first to say that Magic isn't for every person everywhere. The things that make it unique some find addictive, while others may simply find it unenjoyable. Some people are really into the whole built-up resort deal. Some people want steamrolled-flat, 100% groomed and straight-down-the-fall-line trails that are all very similar to one another. I'm not one of those people though. I really appreciate the natural challenge that it provides, the affordability of the place in general, the "Cheers on skis" friendliness, the multitude of hidden options throughout the place and not to mention the way that it just keeps getting measurably better every year.

If that's not your cup of tea, quite frankly- good more for me! :snow::spread:

Mark my words though, Black will pass inspection and run this season. Everybody knows the mountain needs it. Everybody.

Do Work

There is a lot to love about Magic. But that love evaporates very quickly when there is a bad snow year. If I did not live locally, I'd be nervous buying a season's pass at Magic and risking the weather.

Fortunately their snowmaking and grooming have increased considerably, even in recent years. Efficiency improvements, equipment advances and allocation have all received a lot of attention. magic knows it needs to perform in sub-par conditions, and they have done a great job increasing their competency in doing so.

I'm honestly going to say the grooming is better than the big guys- they lay down the same snow (actually more natural-feeling as they do not use the wheat-based additives many resorts do) and the grooming equipment is the same- they have a BR350 cat that lays down amazing cord and a KILLER set of operators for it. With a lot less traffic, you are quite literally going to find fresh cord MUCH later in the day, not to mention that the groomers don't get anywhere near as scraped off, so even the steeper groomed trails generally stay far more edgeable than most are used to.

Those that think Magic is a WROD of ice cookies likely have not been there for about 6 years or so. There was a time when conditions really did suck on non-pow days, but those times thankfully are behind us and great strides in snowmaking and grooming have really ramped up the experience on low tide occasions.

Newpylong

Terrain is but one variable in the decision. Magic is up there with the Whalebacks and the Mt. Abrams' of New England - they are off the beaten path, affordable, slower paced, and safe places to ski and to bring families. The killer terrain is icing on the cake.

VTKilarney

Those that think Magic is a WROD of ice cookies likely have not been there for about 6 years or so.
It has been several years since I have skied Magic. I am happy to hear that snowmaking and grooming have improved.