• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

slatham

While Dr Jeff has a great (if depressing) point, what I bet is more time consuming is the due diligence - done by 3rd party experts - necessary to understand the physical state of the lifts, snow making, lodge etc - in particular the Black lift. As we all know, it never ran this past winter and the purchase price would be greatly impacted by whether or not this lift has past inspection.

I imagine it takes a long time to make Magic great again. Convincing Stratton to pay for our snowmaking isn't a one day job. But all jokes aside I for one am 100% confident they are working hard and will get this done. I did not buy the Bromley pass in a sign of confidence.

I do deals for a living. Typically a transaction will take anywhere from six months to a year if you measure from a true start to a closing. Yes lawyers and consultants can suck the life out of a deal. But if the buyer and seller have come to a commercial agreement they should be able to get over that. I wouldn't be surprised if a few things move slow over the summer, but that isn't abnormal. If a few summer delays are the price we pay for stable ownership, I am all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
My question would be, how much will these delays limit needed investment for next season?

What's going on up on the hill? Mountain financed projects? Dedicated Magic faithful volunteering?

Or is it a ghost town while everyone waits for a deal to get done?

Newpylong

I think Magic could have a significantly better experience next year without major capital expenditures/projects this off season. The right people running the show and enough capital to make snow will go a long way. Certifying the Black will help until if/when there is a replacement. Of course there is always summer maintenance so hopefully the deal gets done in time to complete that.

Obviously the place could use a serious refresh but what I have gathered for the most part the snowmaking is repaired so with enough capital it certainly could be used more effectively that it has been.

My .02.

ironhippy

my local hill was sold last year.

A group of eager buyers (with their own financing) was assembled in March/April, the sellers were motivated.
The deal finally closed at the end of September.

This was without any major issues, it just took a long time.

RustyGroomer

even ladders. you wouldn't believe it.

I say this often, don't shoot the messenger. There was some sort of inspection Saturday. Better than silence.

JoeB-Z

Real live due diligence. Sounds like it is under contract and they are working on the contingencies.

JamaicaMan

Still not under a signed contract yet but we did conduct our own inspection of buildings as noted by RG. Hopeful to get purchase agreement done very shortly as there is much work to be done and we will be basically starting from scratch after the area shutdown in March. However, Ski Magic LLC will be hosting with the Town of Londonderry their annual Independence Day fireworks on July 2nd at Magic (live music and "refreshments" will be served up), even though the property will not have officially changed hands by then, with the cooperation of current title holders Magic Mountain Management LLC. Hope to see any one who is up there at the event!

slatham

Good to hear the the tradition of the fireworks wasn't derailed by the transaction being midstream. Good luck getting the deal completed and the work started! Looking forward to planning a trip for a volunteer day!

MMP

How are the flags and do the new owners have plans to maintain them or replace them or light them or follow flag protocol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamaicaMan

How are the flags and do the new owners have plans to maintain them or replace them or light them or follow flag protocol?

The US Flag is of utmost importance to our success. It will be treated with respect and care. Not sure the same can be said for the Swiss flag, although there may be considerable EB-5 money hiding there...

yeggous

The US Flag is of utmost importance to our success. It will be treated with respect and care. Not sure the same can be said for the Swiss flag, although there may be considerable EB-5 money hiding there...

Excellent to hear! Finally an ownership that understands the importance of such details. Perhaps a monument to Billski is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

RustyGroomer

Assuming you were celebrating flag day Tuesday, i'll reply now. I will be up there this weekend studying wind speed, direction, fabric, soil, vertical rise, etc. I'll do my best to take some pics for reference & maybe even some charts.

I really feel like in a few years these flags will be the best in the state.