• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

steamboat1

Man, no marketeer worth wasting a brew on would ever think to publicize that those in the "industry" get a break. You just don't do that. It pisses off the peons.

Most areas offer & advertise discounts to local merchants. Some also offer discounts to local county residents (eg. Stowe LAWA pass).

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe used to sell incredibly cheap midweek passes if you worked for a Stowe Area Association business. My pass was $250 when I lived in town. As recent as 2005 the first Thursday of every month they offered $10 lift tickets for any VT hospitality industry worker. You just needed to bring a recent pay stub.

slatham

From front page of web site:

"We have turned on Season Pass sales. The early season prices will be in effect until the end of Friday October 16th. Work on both chairs is ongoing and I fully expect them to be ready for opening day. There is a volunteer day next Saturday, October 10th. Come on out and see the progress. There will be further good news later this week. We look forward to a great season this year!"

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
Can they please pay someone to make the website look semi professional? All that dead space next to the photo looks awful and the empty black bar across the middle of it should have something in it. I would also love to see the use of spell check and grammar check when they are updating.

Do Work

Agreed! That might be my all time favorite report on magic's sire lol. As for non magic site reports it's hard to top dowork's tittyballs report from a huge midweek storm a couple of years back.

Ah yes, Big Wednesday. Remember it well. The tittyballin' was at an all-time high mark for sure.

prsboogie

url]

slatham

As promised, a post-volunteer day update.

Upon arrival it was good to see Tom Barker there welcoming everyone and answering questions. Focus was the work on Red and Black. Details can be found on Tom Walsh's FaceBook post. But Tom B seems to have a firm grasp on what needs to be done and work on both lifts is in process and the plan is to have both for opening day.

The snowmaking pipe issue on upper Wizard ("Wizard Chute") has been fixed (AZ's very own Do Work, well, doing the work!). I don't think there were other snowmaking issues this past winter but maybe Do Work or others in the know can comment.

All the trails that can be mowed by machine have been mowed. There was a crew of "Mountain Goats" there on Saturday to weed whack the steeps that machines cannot safely mow. My understanding is that all the trails will be cut and ready for opening day.

There was a very solid volunteer crew (plus the Goats) so lots of activity. Hike up, clear on way down. Got a nice look at the work from the first volunteer day - a sweet intermediate/advanced intermediate glade that is brand new and likely to be a quick favorite. Work this weekend was widening and clearing several existing glades.

Unfortunately had to bail and miss burgers and beers and later discussion on the mountain. Maybe Do Work, Rusty Groomer, Makimono or the other AR'ers that we were there can chime in.

On my way out I met Emily, the office manager. She was asking whether anyone in the crew was taking pictures as she wanted to post them on FB. Given the subsequent posts and pics, I think she will be updating FB so expect more posts and communication from Magic going forward.

It was nice to be on the mountain with a great group, excellent fall weather, and beautiful foliage. Looking forward to seeing those people in the woods again, but with a solid snow pack on the ground!

THINK SNOW!!!!

Do Work

Yeah things are definitely looking up. The chairs are looking great, the trails are either mowed, 'whacked or lined up to be and the trees have literally never been cleaner. We've got new stuff, new editions to old stuff and lots of new faces have been coming out to help which is awesome. I am flying high and can't even tell you guys how excited I am to kick off the season. It's going to be a great one!