• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Do Work

At the Magic volunteer days groups are usually sent to specific area and usually have someone experienced with them like a Do Work or a Rusty Groomer.

And really very little standing timber is cut down, most of what's cut is the moose maple that grows like bamboo and the occasional widow maker. They're definitely not sending groups out to hack lines willy nilly. As unglamorous as it sounds most of what we do is dragging blow down out of the ski lines. But that pays big dividends in the winter.

Exactly. It's all about just cleaning up the deadfall, blowdown and *absolutely minimal* cutting after that. Mostly invasive moose maple. It's all about the natural spacing!!!

MEtoVTSkier

Furthermore. Same goes to you next time you climb, then proceed to walk all over a mountain in steep terrain with a 5 gallon gas can & chainsaw large enough to cut 24". Are we logging? Jesus, 24".

I've never needed a 5 gallon can of saw gas in the woods with me while logging, that stays on the pickup. A 1.25 gallon can maybe.... :grin::grin:

MMP

Not for volunteers. You need a better hand saw. I cannot begin to tell you how much has been accomplished with them & hard work tossing logs around.

I hear you're the best and biggest tosser around. Winky

MadMadWorld

I hope they take the Tenney approach and really open themselves up to telling faithful what is broken, what needs to be fixed, and why it is a priority. I tip my cap to the way Tenney has been transparent with their infrastructure. I don't understand why Magic can't do the same. I am going to make at least 1 or 2 trips to Tenney next year because of this.

Newpylong

Furthermore. Same goes to you next time you climb, then proceed to walk all over a mountain in steep terrain with a 5 gallon gas can & chainsaw large enough to cut 24". Are we logging? Jesus, 24".

Logging? Any tree of any size can come down if weakened by a storm, ants, woodpeckers, etc.

Even a 16" Crapsman can cut 24" if it's sharp, it's a cut on each side. Why would you lug a 5 gallon jerry can with you? You bring all your gear with you up on a quad or ATV and leave it in a central location. You return to it to fuel and bar chain oil or bring a 1-2 gallon with you. Not rocket science.

Time and a place for different tools. :beer:

Last edited:

Do Work

I hope they take the Tenney approach and really open themselves up to telling faithful what is broken, what needs to be fixed, and why it is a priority. I tip my cap to the way Tenney has been transparent with their infrastructure. I don't understand why Magic can't do the same. I am going to make at least 1 or 2 trips to Tenney next year because of this.

I don't think they really need a long winded confession so much as they need to lay out clear goals and a realistic timeline. People know where they went wrong, but knowing where this ship is being steered is going to be important in building confidence and skier visits.

gmcunni

i'm no marketing genius, or any kind of genius for that matter... so tell me who is magic's biggest competition? who are they going to "steal" skier visits from?

*note - i really like magic. if i lived 1 hour closer i'd be there a lot

in my mind S VT is full of biggish mountains with lots of amenities, attracting the rich (well to do) and families of southern new england and NY+NJ. even if magic had full snow making, fully function red and black chairs and even an additional lift for beginners (green run?) would the S VT crowd flock there?

there is no town, there is limited lodging. are they destined to be a day trip destination ?

magic has, arguably, some unique terrain not available at other S VT mountains, is that enough to pump up skier visits?

are they after the central/northern crowd where similar terrain options abound?

thetrailboss

Staff member
i'm no marketing genius, or any kind of genius for that matter... so tell me who is magic's biggest competition? who are they going to "steal" skier visits from?

in my mind S VT is full of biggish mountains with lots of amenities, attracting the rich (well to do) and families of southern new england and NY+NJ. even if magic had full snow making, fully function red and black chairs and even an additional lift for beginners (green run?) would the S VT crowd flock there?

there is no town, there is limited lodging. are they destined to be a day trip destination ?

magic has, arguably, some unique terrain not available at other S VT mountains, is that enough to pump up skier visits?

Good points

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

+1. That really why when I not rich or well off am in Vermont I much rather be at big place like mt snow or k or then experience what I have in Roxbury NY.

MadMadWorld

I think they could attract skiers that would normally go further north to MRG, Sugarbush, and Killington. I don't think they are going to take many folks from Stratton or Okemo.

Jully

Maybe they're eventually trying to take some families from Bromely? Obviously not the majority of Bromley families though.

mriceyman

Hope the new owners have a good winter to help with success.. You can talk about the bar, flags, shops etc but all i need to return is reliable lifts. 2 would be great. Thats would do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Magic has been break even the past two winters with circa 20k skier visits. To put this in perspective, Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley and Okemo have a combined 1.6 million skier visits. One argument says that with both chairs in reliable states, and a circa 50% increase in snowmaking, they could grab an additional 16k skiers - a mere 1% of the regions skier visits. While break even would go up, it would not be 36k so they are in the black. Say what you will about the skiers at sorrounding mountains - but I would argue that there are a lot - more than 10% - who would welcome a cheaper, steeper, deeper and emptier option to the mega resorts. So all they need to do is get 10% of that 10% and they are in good shape with cash flow to get even better. A good winter would help, but Magic is SO close to being a viable, if niche, ski area. Let's hope this new group can pull it off.

Do Work

This is generally referred to as the attitude of those who "don't get it". And don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying... But come ski here when the snow is good and there is no going back. The terrain, the trees, the snow, the people, the vibe... I wouldn't go to Strappon of you paid me. I don't like it there at all . Believe it or not a lot of people are dissatisfied by the blah, crowded and steamrolled experience they're getting for their insane expenditure elsewhere. I hate standing in line and I hate skiing in a crowd even more. Magic is for real skiers who hate the bullshit that comes with major resorts and don't give a damn about shopping at boutiques or overpriced food and fake scenesters. They just want to ski the best terrain in SoVT and be in a community of like-minded individuals.

By all means if you like those "other mountains" then totally go there. I won't be mad at you. I don't prefer them though, and that's putting it as nicely as I can. For those who appreciate a simplistic, raw advanced skiing experience there is no alternative in Southern Vermont.

The points you raise are valid, but they vaporize once you ski here and see what it's really all about. I respect your want to ask, but trust me when I say Magic is a different planet than the other area offerings.

Last edited:

Do Work

Magic has been break even the past two winters with circa 20k skier visits. To put this in perspective, Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley and Okemo have a combined 1.6 million skier visits. One argument says that with both chairs in reliable states, and a circa 50% increase in snowmaking, they could grab an additional 16k skiers - a mere 1% of the regions skier visits. While break even would go up, it would not be 36k so they are in the black. Say what you will about the skiers at sorrounding mountains - but I would argue that there are a lot - more than 10% - who would welcome a cheaper, steeper, deeper and emptier option to the mega resorts. So all they need to do is get 10% of that 10% and they are in good shape with cash flow to get even better. A good winter would help, but Magic is SO close to being a viable, if niche, ski area. Let's hope this new group can pull it off.

Very much so. I can't even tell you how many have come here in recent years and said "I can't believe I was wasting my money at Mountain X, Y & Z."

For those that are not stoked on the mega resort vibe, Magic is a no-brainer.

MMP

This is generally referred to as the attitude of those who "don't get it". And don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying... But come ski here when the snow is good and there is no going back. The terrain, the trees, the snow, the people, the vibe... I wouldn't go to Strappon of you paid me. I don't like it there at all . Believe it or not a lot of people are dissatisfied by the blah, crowded and steamrolled experience they're getting for their insane expenditure elsewhere. I hate standing in line and I hate skiing in a crowd even more. Magic is for real skiers who hate the bullshit that comes with major resorts and don't give a damn about shopping at boutiques or overpriced food and fake scenesters. They just want to ski the best terrain in SoVT and be in a community of like-minded individuals.

By all means if you like those "other mountains" then totally go there. I won't be mad at you. I don't prefer them though, and that's putting it as nicely as I can. For those who appreciate a simplistic, raw advanced skiing experience there is no alternative in Southern Vermont.

The points you raise are valid, but they vaporize once you ski here and see what it's really all about. I respect your want to ask, but trust me when I say Magic is a different planet than the other area offerings.

I come for the flags

steamboat1

It'll be hard to increase skier visits if they don't open by Thanksgiving, all their competition is usually. Typically they don't open until just before Christmas. Thanksgiving weekend & & the first few weekends before Christmas see quite a bit of business at other areas when weather cooperates. Same thing on the other end. Closing in the middle of March doesn't help increase skier visits either, especially when weather cooperates late season. Then there's the fact they're only open four days a week excluding holiday weeks except for the rare powder days. Even the rare powder days how much business can they expect when people don't know if they'll be open or not until the snow is on the ground? I like Magic, really I do, but they have a tough nut to crack. Base elevation & the fact they're slightly out of the snow belt is not there friend either. I wish them luck. It's got nothing to do with getting it or not.

Last edited: