• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

skithetrees

Current owner did stiff those who thought monies they put in were some type of coop. Who's to say they wouldn't do it again.

Different owner. People were given the option of getting their money back. It's called facts.

That's not to say the whole situation wasn't poorly managed, but the current owner wanted distance from that operator long before any of that happened.

RustyGroomer

The fact of the matter is there is a group trying to buy Magic. Unfortunately one of the parties in the seller group (there are several) is dragging his feet. Hopefully this will get resolved soon so the new owners can complete preparations for the upcoming season.

While cautious, I am extremely excited about this & a new chapter @ Magic!

Buying passes now will only mean transferring funds to the new group later. I am holding off on passes for that reason. Everyone will be aware if & when anything changes.

steamboat1

Different owner. People were given the option of getting their money back. It's called facts.

That's not to say the whole situation wasn't poorly managed, but the current owner wanted distance from that operator long before any of that happened.
Not from what I heard. The money was spent, the question was where did it all go. It's my understanding that the present operator was indeed involved with Magic previously.

steamboat1

If you don't ski there, don't shit there either is what people are saying.

No one here cares to read that bullshit about Magic, Sugarbush or anywhere else you repeatedly attempt to crap on.

Stick to Killington......
Oh but it's perfectly alright for people that don't ski K to crap on it.

Now I understand.

Actually I ski Sugarbush quite a bit & like the place. Skied a lot at Magic with the original owners but I think I've only been there twice since it's rebirth.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh but it's perfectly alright for people that don't ski K to crap on it.

Now I understand.

If you find such an example, feel free to call that person out.

I don't see anyone repeatedly trolling Killington who doesn't ski there like you do with Magic.

skithetrees

Not from what I heard. The money was spent, the question was where did it all go. It's my understanding that the present operator was indeed involved with Magic previously.

Not quite true. Project was originally pitched as a co-op, but poor planning by and, frankly, an inexcusable lck of knowledge from someone that should have known better, made that not feasible. At that point, the decision was made to turn it into a club. People were given the option of getting their money back. Many chose to do so, many didn't. At that point, the benefits of the club were so small that it was essentially a donation by people with a vested interest in the mountain staying open (I.e., homeowners). That money was spent and the oversight concerns you mentioned were raised. That said, I don't think any money was stolen. Rather, the intended process wasn't followed. At that point, the amount of money was so small that it went to necessary maintenance and keeping the lights on. I think a lot of the controversy arose from the fact that people expected it would have gone further.

The current operator has been a part owner of the mountain for a long time and, during that time, has seen numerous operators come and go. He never had any substantive input with any of them. That is an important point to make clear. I think frustrations with the mistakes of others is what finally led him to step up this year and take over.

farlep99

I hear Saddleback is struggling. MMP, I assume you'll be donating flags for them? I hear Maine is nice this time of year

MMP

The first full price pass purchase gets a Swiss flag. (BYOBT)

thetrailboss

Staff member
So can anyone give us any information as to who the potential new owners are and their plans?

MMP

Vail

Flag poles are their primary concern.

MMP

WTF?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438807894.575118.jpg

whenever I see a screwed up flag I'm going to refer to it as a Billski. Like Banksy, but worthless.

AdironRider

Arent they being investigated by the SEC for their little coop fiasco? You people really have your heads in the sand.

Sorcerer

Arent they being investigated by the SEC for their little coop fiasco? You people really have your heads in the sand.

Who are THEY??? He who is being investigated was an operator of the mountain not an owner. He has been replaced. The situation with ownership is a bit complicated. Before making general derogatory statements, you should have some idea of what you are talking about. Talk about having your head in the sand....