• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Sorcerer

Caveat - once the compressor parts are received. They are expected either Tuesday or Wednesday.

They have the fan guns ready to go tonight on Showoff - they don't need a compressor but the electric needed to run them is only in the Showoff-Wand-HocusPocus (mainslope) loop.

Sorcerer

Is it possible these guys are going to finish out the season with only one expert/intermediate trail open TTB? I knew they had limited snowmaking capacity, just didn't think it was that bad.

It's not a question of capacity, it's a question of money and management.

mbedle

I would bet it tends towards a money issue more than anything. In other words, a failing business that doesn't have access to capital, can be easily perceived as having poor management. Add the crappy weather and it looks a lot worst from our perspective.

jrmagic

I would bet it tends towards a money issue more than anything. In other words, a failing business that doesn't have access to capital, can be easily perceived as having poor management. Add the crappy weather and it looks a lot worst from our perspective.

Yes a failing business without access to capital can be perceived as having bad management. Trust me when I say that in thus case, it goes wayyyyy beyond a perception issue.

mriceyman

" Red has failed at critical moments generating lines of very disappointed (to say the least) customers at the ticket window demanding refunds."

I haven't experienced this since the refurb two summers ago, but for a long list of reasons have not been over this year. Has Red had issues this year or last?

Yes last year i was at magic on a sat in February when the red went down for 3 hours.. Which led to too much drinking at the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Compressor issue = why I think they need to expand the terrain where the electrical for the Fans reaches, assuming this isn't some exorbitant amount. I may be wrong, but I presume running 5 fan guns is less cost, all in, than running 5 air/water guns.

drjeff

Compressor issue = why I think they need to expand the terrain where the electrical for the Fans reaches, assuming this isn't some exorbitant amount. I may be wrong, but I presume running 5 fan guns is less cost, all in, than running 5 air/water guns.

How many fans they can run at once might be more of a factor of how much capacity their electrical lines currently on the mountain have.

I just looked at the Areco website (the company who made Magic'c fanguns, but was recently bought by another fangun manufacturer, Sufag out of Sweden, and now the combined products are all marketed under the Sufag brand name), to get some electrical demand specs for each fan gun. It appears from the pictures on Magic's FB page that their fan's are Areco's "standard" model, which per the electrical needs specs listed can operate on "as little as 15 kW" per gun. If Magic has Areco's larger model, the Supersnow (and the graphic and exterior identifiers on the 2 models are very close in appearance, but I will try and sneak a peak this coming Monday when I'm going to be at Magic watching my kids race), then the electrical demands jump to just over 30kW per fan gun, so who knows if they could run more fan guns at the same time, even if they had the electrical boxes on more terrain.

I suppose, that their water pumping capacity could also be an issue, as depending on how much water the operator chooses to send through a gun (be it a fan gun or an air/water gun) most snowmaking equipment has a operational range between about 30 gallons/minute up to about 120 gallons/minute. If Magic can only pump say 1000 gallons a minute (and I have no clue how much water their pumps can push up the hill per minute), then that doesn't let them run a heck of a lot of guns simultaneously with a decent amount of water being transformed into snow per gun per minute