• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bugs are annoying

ScottySkis

I love hiking been buying 25% deet off dry and that just helps a little. any thing else that might help I rather eat steak at home then bugs in my mouth while hiking.

bigbog

Scotty...
Headnet? Darker shade reflects less sunlight. I glued 2 strips of polystyrene to form "X"..measured for head length and width to lay the netting on, with ~.5" overhang everywhere on top, to keep it off your head othw bugs just sit on top and bite. fwiw.. *EDIT: HA!...watch in 50yrs the great $$$ in science will find the polystyrene cancerous and DEET not really a player...LOL. Have found Cutter's Dry stuff good so far...but haven't tested with the deer and moose flies...:roll:

To a bug-free Fourth

Last edited:

ScottySkis

So i used 100%.that didnt help. I boughy water foggles that helped bug time. keeping bugs iut my eyes very important., Tomkorow i try rhe moquttio mesh thing for the head . Thanks everyine for the advice.

Edd

Good thread title.

I've got an extremely low tolerance for mosquitos. I've tried alot of stuff but I always get chewed up worse than the folks I'm with. My girlfriend always says it's in my mind but a slew of obvious bites on my skin the next morning always proves otherwise.

bigbog

Good thread title.

I've got an extremely low tolerance for mosquitos. I've tried alot of stuff but I always get chewed up worse than the folks I'm with. My girlfriend always says it's in my mind but a slew of obvious bites on my skin the next morning always proves otherwise.

You're not alone Edd... I got used to blackflies a long time ago, but even just taking a walk @local City Forest paths/trails...the headnet keeps me sane.

SCOTTY, do the % in DEET!, not alcohol dude....

Last edited:

ScottySkis

mesh thing over my head works. i biuht 100% deet didnt really help much. Maybe i just attract bugs . i also bought water googgles and rilled a tiny whole in then i abiut to try those again.

dlague

Reading this thread makes me laugh! My son was in our backyard next to the wood line with a few of his friends back in May on a hot day when all of a sudden he came hauling ass in to the house and yelled "I hate summer - too many friggin bugs and it's too hot!". My comment? "That's may boy!" I have raised a bunch of winter fans!

On another note, I have hiked a few times with my wife and kids - the bugs kill it for them. So the few times we do hike it is often on cooler days in the fall or in the spring before black flies.