• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak minor construction

LONGBOARDR

Why is that hated by most Jay Peak skiers?

Terrain off the side of Tim is highly regarded by most JP veterans.
Countless good memories, it is holy ground to me. Would be a shame to mess with it.

On a lighter note, I was hiking in West Bowl sunday with my dog scouting lines and filling in GPS waypoints.

On my way out I passed in front of the tram. On wind delay !! LMAO

fbrissette

On a lighter note, I was hiking in West Bowl sunday with my dog scouting lines and filling in GPS waypoints.

I skinned part of the West Bowl on two different occasions last winter. Some pretty good lines to be had for sure. Nice and steep at the top but it does flatten up quite rapidly.

LONGBOARDR

I skinned part of the West Bowl on two different occasions last winter. Some pretty good lines to be had for sure. Nice and steep at the top but it does flatten up quite rapidly.

That has been my experience as well. Some steep, initial turns, but a lot of the total vert is low angle. Jay deeded the ridge line to LT? so there will be not lifts, on or real close to the top. Takes a lot of the steeper stuff we can hit off the menu. It is definitely intermediate slope terrain. However, I found the snow to be quite abundant and well-preserved over time despite a range of conditions. With the virgin nature of that area, the natural WET! conditions at low angles and the base of the bowl, I think they have their work cut out for them to get that developed. It is a special place with or without snow.

fbrissette

That has been my experience as well. Some steep, initial turns, but a lot of the total vert is low angle. Jay deeded the ridge line to LT? so there will be not lifts, on or real close to the top. Takes a lot of the steeper stuff we can hit off the menu. It is definitely intermediate slope terrain. However, I found the snow to be quite abundant and well-preserved over time despite a range of conditions. With the virgin nature of that area, the natural WET! conditions at low angles and the base of the bowl, I think they have their work cut out for them to get that developed. It is a special place with or without snow.

You are right that the lift(s) stop short of the summit. This is partly because of the LT and partly to diminish wind exposure. However, at the Northern end of the West Bowl, (Just east of Doll peak) they are planning a gladed area that would be accessed either by skining or boot packing for a distance of about 900' with about 200' vertical. This would include the steepest gradient in the West Bowl.

BenedictGomez

It is in the plan. It is universally hated by most Jay Peak skiers. However, Bill Stenger said that this would not happen until the West Bowl is completed. In other words, this may never happen.

We need to organize an "AlpineZone Bicknell's Thrush Shoot" summit.

I'll donate a case of 2-3/4 #9 shot.

Bicknell's Thrush.jpg

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
You are right that the lift(s) stop short of the summit. This is partly because of the LT and partly to diminish wind exposure. However, at the Northern end of the West Bowl, (Just east of Doll peak) they are planning a gladed area that would be accessed either by skining or boot packing for a distance of about 900' with about 200' vertical. This would include the steepest gradient in the West Bowl.

Most recent plan overlaid in Google Earth:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Pictures up of the amphitheater on Facebook. It is not completed yet. You can see the piers where the columns supporting roof structure will be attached. Looks like a pretty good layout. Probably enough room for a couple thousand people with the grassy area.
https://www.facebook.com/JayPeakFan?sk=photos_stream

10533372_10152583510459441_3285530942037548571_n.jpg

dlague

Pictures up of the amphitheater on Facebook. It is not completed yet. You can see the piers where the columns supporting roof structure will be attached. Looks like a pretty good layout. Probably enough room for a couple thousand people with the grassy area.
https://www.facebook.com/JayPeakFan?sk=photos_stream

10533372_10152583510459441_3285530942037548571_n.jpg

Funny I just posted this on the other Jay Peak development thread - now that is team work!