• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee may get a new "old" lift

canobie#1

Makes sense since ragged is finally going to get that high speed. Good move.

xwhaler

Not sure how I feel about that, hopefully the crowds disperse fast at the top.

This........the unload area up there is already fairly congested with the Green Ridge also unloading and folks coming and going out of the summit lodge as well as coming down from the true summit. I do wonder about whether the area would need to be re configured to give more space?
Or maybe the extra capacity of a 6 pack would render Green Ridge not needed except on the busiest of days? That lift is terrible anyways IMHO.
I do think Sunapee will benefit much more with having a HSQ in the Sunbowl than Okemo will from a 6 pack.

drjeff

It is getting late to do a NEW install at Okemo. But from what I saw Poma's crews like to push the envelope. I would assume that the retrofit at Sunapee would not be too bad assuming that they can reuse the pylons and don't have to upgrade them or do any work on the footings. It should really be new haul rope, new grips, maybe new sheave trains on some towers, and new base and summit terminals.

I just scanned back through the threads on the Mount Snow Passholders site about when the construction really started in earnest for the Bluebird. Basically they started tower base concrete pouring at the end of June (not sure if Okemo would need new tower bases in the upgrade from the existing HSQ to a HSS??)

They also hand't even started blasting the significant amount of rock they had to clear in the base area for construction of the storage barn for the chairs at the end of June either. L-P had the lift fully built and load tested for Thanksgiving weekend (even though it's official opening due to warm weather and not enough snow to ski on Turkey Day weekend wasn't until the 1st weekend of December), and that included having to deal with some construction delays and chaos courtesy of Hurricane Irene and what she did to VT :eek:

Depending on how much/how little work the Okemo/L-P need to do, the lack of happenings already might not be a big issue at all

dlague

It appears you do care since you have commented about it. I think both places are boring as hell but I would take my wife to Okemo in a heart beat because she would love it :)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

This........the unload area up there is already fairly congested with the Green Ridge also unloading and folks coming and going out of the summit lodge as well as coming down from the true summit. I do wonder about whether the area would need to be re configured to give more space?
Or maybe the extra capacity of a 6 pack would render Green Ridge not needed except on the busiest of days? That lift is terrible anyways IMHO.
I do think Sunapee will benefit much more with having a HSQ in the Sunbowl than Okemo will from a 6 pack.

Well, we have skied Sunapee about 6 times in the past 12 years and will probably never go back. Okemo is a favorite of my wife so we go there generally once or twice each year. However, I do not really think these changes will influence decision making all that much.

However, Ragged's new chair will influence lift ticket sales!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wonder if the Sun Bowl Quad at Sunapee goes back to Okemo for the new South Face Real Estate terrain pod. Clearly that development at Okemo won't require a fancy new fast lift.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, we have skied Sunapee about 6 times in the past 12 years and will probably never go back. Okemo is a favorite of my wife so we go there generally once or twice each year. However, I do not really think these changes will influence decision making all that much.

However, Ragged's new chair will influence lift ticket sales!

Just out of curiosity--why do you not like Sunapee?

Puck it

Wonder if the Sun Bowl Quad at Sunapee goes back to Okemo for the new South Face Real Estate terrain pod. Clearly that development at Okemo won't require a fancy new fast lift.
it is slated for the North Peak Triple replacement. The triple then goes back to the Sunbowl for a lift on the back side of North Peak.

Puck it

Just out of curiosity--why do you not like Sunapee?

I used to ski there a lot with my borhter. It is a pretty boring mountain, nothing very challenging. The bumps are good though and the glades too when they open them. They are really conservative about opening them.

They also groom powder on most of the mountain. They may leave the Sunbowl ungroomed after a dump.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I used to ski there a lot with my borhter. It is a pretty boring mountain, nothing very challenging. The bumps are good though and the glades too when they open them. They are really conservative about opening them.

They also groom powder on most of the mountain. They may leave the Sunbowl ungroomed after a dump.

Sounds like nothing has changed since I skied there in 2005-2006.

thetrailboss

Staff member
it is slated for the North Peak Triple replacement. The triple then goes back to the Sunbowl for a lift on the back side of North Peak.

So it sounds like the Sunbowl is a whole replacement...with the hardware moved to North Peak.

xwhaler

Would have to imagine more terrain will be added if they do this as well because as the trail map shows this lift would only serve 1 trail effectively (Cataract)
Unless they envision people using it to quickly get back to the base after doing laps in the Sunbowl?
Pretty short little pod it would be.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Would have to imagine more terrain will be added if they do this as well because as the trail map shows this lift would only serve 1 trail effectively (Cataract)
Unless they envision people using it to quickly get back to the base after doing laps in the Sunbowl?
Pretty short little pod it would be.

I think they were going to add maybe one or two trails. It is a relatively small expansion.

xwhaler

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some interesting reading in here about possible expansion plans. Night skiing, west bowl, condos?!
Have to imagine its sort of an arms race between Ragged, Sunapee, & Gunstock now to capture the well to do family who may fund the next phase of real estate development.
I'm sure Sunapee has taken notice of Raggeds new lift.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/NewHampshire/sunapee/westbowl.php

Maybe I'm wrong, but the condo project is dead after the litigation with the state.

It looks like Sunapee is finally starting to respond to Ragged's growing competition. The mountain has remained unchanged for decades and to put it lightly, just feels stale right now. Great to see them finally wake up.