• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giro Tune-Ups (headphones) - any experience?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am thinking about getting the "Tune-Ups" helmet headphones for my Giro Fuse helmet.
I want to get the kind that allows me to attach my 2-way radio and my iPod to the same set, with a switch in the middle.

I also just got a combo cell phone and mp3 player, but can't figure out if I can combine a 2-way with my cell/mp3 just to use as an mp3. Nobody seems to know. I am going to the shop tonight to see what they have, but the equipment for sale is all sealed up in a package.

Anybody with experience using the tune-ups on a giro helmet, or with this switcher gadget?

SkiDog

I have the Giro 10...that came with them built in...AWESOME...

I have soo many issues with my helmet and the earbud earphones...the helmet pressed them into my ears to the point of pain.......this helmet solved all that...good sound quality and an in line volume control so you dont have to go all the way into the pocket to adjust volume on lifts, etc.

Great if you like skiing with tunes....

My .02

M

tjf67

I have the giro with the built in head phones. Also have the switch on it. As long as you are able to plug your devise into it you will be able to switch over. It is the same plug in that goes into the ipod. When my phone rings I can switch over with a click. If nothing is connected it wont switch over.
It was a great purchase.

JimG.

Staff member
My buddy Karl just got the G10 with the built in headphones and switch. He really likes it and the switch over to his cell phone apparently works great.

The best part is that now I don't have to listen to him babble incessantly during chair rides.

Hawkshot99

I have the tuneups for my G10. I only have the bottom of the line one, that is only for music, because I really dont want to use my phone when I am skiing.
I have looked at the music/cell ones, but not music/radio ones so i am not certain on them. The cell ones have a button on them that allows you to automatically answer your phone. There is a small volume dial on the button box thing. The problem I had when I tried this was that I hooked the clip to the neck of my turtle neck. Every time I hit a bump, my neck would rub on the volume dial. Also, it was hard to adjust with gloves on, if not impossible. When you hit the button to use the phone part it did not mute the music, you have to do that manully.

Now the regular tuneups that I have now I like alot. The phone answer button is replaced with a mute button. This is nice because I can set the volume to be able to hear at speed, but just hit the mute button and have a conversation no problem.I keep the clip attached to a strap on my camel back under my jacket, and just hit the right spot on my chest to mute it. The sound quality out of these sets is very good.

tjf67

I keep the volume adjuster strapped up by my ears on the chin strap. Have not had any problems with it being ripped off and I can adjust the volume with my glove on. I have worn it in the rain and also in 0 degree weather and have not had any problems yet.
You are correct about the sound quality. It is real good.
WHen I am all bundled up with nothing exposed witht he music thumping its almost like I am inside looking out.

SKIQUATTRO

personally i leave all that stuff in the car, i head to the mtns to get away from that stuff, i like hearing my skis on the snow and hearing people coming up behind me.....there was a situation that unfolded up at Smuggs and I was yelling at a boarder with the Giro setup playing tunes,,,,he never heard me until I poked him with my pole to get his attention......if anything ride/ski with one earphone in so at least you can be observant of things going on around you....

dmc

there was a situation that unfolded up at Smuggs and I was yelling at a boarder with the Giro setup playing tunes,,,,he never heard me until I poked him with my pole to get his attention......if anything ride/ski with one earphone in so at least you can be observant of things going on around you....

Why were you yelling at him... ? And why should he have cared?

I love my Tuneups.. they kick ass.. And I do ski with a phone if I hvae to be oncall...

stuff works great!

SKIQUATTRO

its a long story of what happened, and once he turned down the music and we chatted, he was cool and very apologetic, he was listening to his music and was in his own little world, which can be very dangerous on a ski hill......if you are on call and can be skiing at the same time, thats cool, i dont have a problem with people listening to music while skiing/boarding if thats what you are into, but at least be aware of your surroundings and realize that there are other people on the mountain....this guy was oblivious to the world around him...I listen to music while road riding, but just keep my earbud in my right ear as to hear cars coming up on my left......

BeanoNYC

I have them for my nine.nine and love them. Are you sure they make them for the fuse now? My buddy had to jury-rig a pair for his fuse.

adamti91

OK, so I need a helmet and I have a few questions. I have seen my friend, pretty sure it is a Giro helmet, and positive they are Skullcandy headphone earflaps, with a mute button on the outside of the earflap. Don't know if he had the Nine or G10, but I tried the G10 on in Potter Brothers and it fit great. Anybody have a G10 with Skullcandy headphones, and have the mute button on the outside of the earflap? I really want to get that exact model and if anybody could tell me what that model is called and where they got it that would be great.

SkiDog

OK, so I need a helmet and I have a few questions. I have seen my friend, pretty sure it is a Giro helmet, and positive they are Skullcandy headphone earflaps, with a mute button on the outside of the earflap. Don't know if he had the Nine or G10, but I tried the G10 on in Potter Brothers and it fit great. Anybody have a G10 with Skullcandy headphones, and have the mute button on the outside of the earflap? I really want to get that exact model and if anybody could tell me what that model is called and where they got it that would be great.

Sounds like its the newest bluetooth model....mine has a volume control on the earphone cord itself....they are skullcandy earpieces.....mines the g10

M

SkiDog

Don't remember his being wireless... maybe I should just ask him ;).

well I think the only model that uses skullcandy earpieces is the giro 10....either with or without the visor...I didnt like my visor...nowhere to put the goggles if you need to take them off......makes it hard to 420 with goggles on... ;-)

M

adamti91

Psshtt... gotta go STEALTH MODE man! Goggles on, hood up tight, and a bowl so no ash burns a hole through your clothes. That's the uh... proper way to uh... smoke cigs on a mountain :)?

SkiDog

Psshtt... gotta go STEALTH MODE man! Goggles on, hood up tight, and a bowl so no ash burns a hole through your clothes. That's the uh... proper way to uh... smoke cigs on a mountain :)?

naaa man...i'd burn the shit out of my clothes doing that? I ONLY use a bowl...

M

adamti91

Ultimate test is really, light up with gloves on... damn near impossible, and then you drop your lighter in the snow and it has to dry off for a few runs (must've happened to me or a friend of mine 5 times this year)... I'm an idiot hehe.

Hawkshot99

I'm an idiot hehe.
Yes you are... The headphones that have the mute button on the side is the wireless bluetooth ones. They can go on any of the Giro half helmets. The cost $200 though. Just get the regular tuneups and put the mute button on the side of the helmet.