• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

Wavewheeler

Numerous mets are talking about a possible pattern change upcoming that would lose all this arctic air we've been experiencing and lead to at least a few early March days that could hit as high as 60 in NJ, 50s in s.NE and 40s in N.NE. Still 9 or 10 days out, so lets hope it doesnt happen.

I've heard/read the same, which is why I've added two more skiing days this week while the temps are still in the 20s-30s. I'm keeping an eye on next week's weather. They are predicting 40s/rain where I live but up north could get snow with moderating but still cold temps later next week, in which case I might run up and do another trip, even a day trip, to the Cats. But I have this feeling that by Mid March our part of the world may be seeing a change...

Is this really so unusual? Seems that in general if you want later season skiing you always have to head north. That's when I start digging around for my hiking and camping equipment.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I've heard/read the same, which is why I've added two more skiing days this week while the temps are still in the 20s-30s. I'm keeping an eye on next week's weather. They are predicting 40s/rain where I live but up north could get snow with moderating but still cold temps later next week, in which case I might run up and do another trip, even a day trip, to the Cats. But I have this feeling that by Mid March our part of the world may be seeing a change...

Is this really so unusual? Seems that in general if you want later season skiing you always have to head north. That's when I start digging around for my hiking and camping equipment.

Not unusual in the least. Especially when you factor in some mean reversion that we're due.

hammer

Numerous mets are talking about a possible pattern change upcoming that would lose all this arctic air we've been experiencing and lead to at least a few early March days that could hit as high as 60 in NJ, 50s in s.NE and 40s in N.NE. Still 9 or 10 days out, so lets hope it doesnt happen.
Has this forecast held up? Latest I've seen on Accuweather has no real warm-up in sight through at least mid-March...

BenedictGomez

The ten day snow map is encouraging.

gfs_asnow_us_41.png

hammer

No. My last post in this thread said it fell apart (luckily).
Thanks, I saw other posts in response and I just wanted to make sure.

Nice to have the sun out for a bit today, helps to melt the ice left in my gutters and shrink the piles at/near home. Hoping for a slow but steady warm-up from here and then on to spring skiing...

catsup948

Next Wednesday looks like a decent shot at a region wide snow storm. It has been on models for awhile now. We will really have to wait until the weekend to start getting emotional about this one! 7 days is a long way off.

drjeff

The ten day snow map is encouraging.

gfs_asnow_us_41.png

This projected map is WILD in that were heading into March, with its stronger sun angles and this map shows chance of snow falling in the next 10 days in 47 of the 48 contiguous states!! Only Florida looks to be snow free potential wise in this maps projection!! The cold air is hanging tough!!

BenedictGomez

Hmm.... well this is interesting.

Both the 00z GFS and 00z Canuck came in warmer tonight for the midweek event. Would be warm enough to be snow, then mix and/or rain pretty much everywhere, maybe even Quebec. Nothing dramatic as modeled, but might be the end of our amazing streak of nothing but snow if this holds.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_27.png

xwhaler

Lets put Wednesdays storm on the shelf for a few days. Monday looks like it could bring 3-6.

Yep! Single Chair Weather Blog calling for 3-6" in the MRV sunday night into Monday. I will be at Sugarbush first thing Monday AM. Bring it!

BenedictGomez

Day 2 to D5 are going to have things to talk about. Dancing on a fault-line though mid-week, high hopes that elevation up north comes through. Not posting the Canuck snowfall map because I'm 90% sure there's something wrong with it.

gfs_asnow_neus_28.png

mulva

Next weekend looks comfy. The streak of mostly negative to 15'ish weekend temps looks to be broken.

I'll be in Killington with the family that Friday to Sunday. I'm hoping the little warmup on Wednesday and quick re-freeze doesn't have much of an effect on the ungroomed. Hoping for more blue blobs and less green blobs on the map :)