• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

catsup948

Can't post the map right now but the GFS continues to nickel and dime the whites and northern greens with 3-6 maybe more this weekend.

catsup948

Canadian and Euro still hitting on a Wed-Friday warmup. GFS says there will be no warm up. 18z GFS is looking pretty sweet for the Greens the next 10 days.

BenedictGomez

Still lookin' good. Stay the course....

10845582_784288538285183_8441974335997622861_o.png

deadheadskier

Staff member
Past two days all Matt Noyes has been talking about is nice snow melting weather the middle of next week. Hope he's wrong. Actually, I hope he's right for Metro Boston South.

hammer

OK so what's the latest longer term trends? Actually concerned that while the cover is great we will be back to firm and fast (and yuck off of the groomed) after mid-week...:thumbdown:

Jcb890

For forecasts showing through next weekend, it looks to be mostly high-30's and low-40's. Originally they were saying icy mix on Saturday, but now maybe it'll be some snow instead? I hope the snow will be good the next 2 weekends! (14/15 & 21/22)

catsup948

Candian and GFS have some agreement for next weekend. Definitely something to keep watching. I hope it snows Saturday night, I'll be at Bolton Valley.

Last edited:

mulva

7-10 inches at Stowe most of it overnight according to their website. I left yesterday after skiing there at around 3:30. Hit multiple bands of snow from Waterbury to White River Junction going south on 89, some pretty heavy. Didn't expect that. Doh, doh, doh doh!!!!! I should have turned around and called in sick.

Jcb890

Time for a separate thread for this weekend?

Where's BG to post some model runs?

I just created one. The best websites I know to use are Weather Underground and Snow-Forecast. I like to use Weather.gov also, but they don't go as far out.

What other good (better?) sites are out there?

BenedictGomez

Time for a separate thread for this weekend?

Where's BG to post some model runs?

Still too early to create a separate thread, but there's some agreement for a decent snowfall starting Saturday evening, and no agreement on when it ends, from around 1pm Sunday or much of Monday depending on which model you look at.

gem_asnow_neus_25.png

gfs_asnow_neus_31.png

BenedictGomez

Of course, as Murphy's law would have it, I'm at Smuggs on Friday and Saturday and leaving on Sunday, which will be the best day.

I might have to do a 1/2 day ticket on Sunday and at least ski until noon, but under that scenario the GFS would probably turn a 6.5 hour drive into a 10 or 12 hour nightmare. Sigh..

xwhaler

Give me a big thump of snow for Central/Northern VT so I can enjoy my boys ski wknd and just rain at home in Southern NH so I don't get calls from my wife saying she is trapped at home!

Jcb890

Of course, as Murphy's law would have it, I'm at Smuggs on Friday and Saturday and leaving on Sunday, which will be the best day.

I might have to do a 1/2 day ticket on Sunday and at least ski until noon, but under that scenario the GFS would probably turn a 6.5 hour drive into a 10 or 12 hour nightmare. Sigh..

Stop at Killington on the way back on Sunday, we can catch a chair together.:beer:

BenedictGomez

Give me a big thump of snow for Central/Northern VT so I can enjoy my boys ski wknd and just rain at home in Southern NH so I don't get calls from my wife saying she is trapped at home!

Yeah, I probably should have pointed that out. That while the models are all snow, the numbers I'm looking at are really dancing on a fault-line depending on the area. It has to stay exactly as modeled or get even colder or there could be some parts of ski country to get mix or worse.

eb865d4c039c2087301abf8797d7e332_5ba4313b62875daac66fb0fcbdb18983.jpg

Stop at Killington on the way back on Sunday, we can catch a chair together.

The most rational thing I could do, is switch my plans from Friday/Saturday to Saturday/Sunday, but that relies on the gf being able to switch her day off.

catsup948

Yeah. Canadian and GFS are pretty similar with who will get snow. Euro with a rainer to snow up to Canada. Euro has been lost this winter though.

catsup948

Good thing your cell phone is going to a) end of in a snow drift or b) left swimming in a pint glass! 😀

Jcb890

Verizon dropped TWC.

victory-baby.jpg

Picture not working for me. Is TWC what you use? What sites are the best/most accurate usually? Before this season, I didn't know about Weather Underground and Snow-Forecast which both seem pretty accurate and I like how far out Weather Underground does predictions also.