• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

catsup948

It's ballsy-aggressive, but it's possible.

This is where I was commenting there's good potential IF the models come in colder. He must either believe that happens OR he sees something atmospherically that suggests better dynamics than the models are picking up on (better timing, colder, lingering, etc..).

Frankly, if you just look at the models, Monday/Tuesday looks better for snow than Friday/Saturday.

Here's the GFS output through mid-day Tuesday, verbatim to the model most of this is on Monday.

gfs_asnow_neus_26.png

The pattern is energetic and wet, this is the reason I booked a week in northern Vermont for this timeframe, the writing has been on the wall for several weeks now that later March / early April have really special potential. Crossing fingers and toes it pans out. Currenly have Smuggs, Jay, Stowe, and MRG on the itinerary!

I agree with you. It has potential to snow a lot Friday but it's such a thin line. Monday looks pretty good too.

Jcb890

Even as far up as Jay Peak, highs for Thursday are are like 45*. How is it possibly going to be all snow with temps near 50?

fbrissette

Even as far up as Jay Peak, highs for Thursday are are like 45*. How is it possibly going to be all snow with temps near 50?
Gotta be careful where you get your forecasts. Many forecasts are closest-city and do not take into account specific mountain elevations.

This one for example has Jay Peak base mostly below freezing except for a brief stint early Thursday.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Jay-Peak/6day/mid

chuckstah

Light sleet just started in S New Hampshire. Temp is still around 40.

BenedictGomez

Still liking the long-term in terms of the next week. Fingers crossed. Hopefully places like Smuggs and Jay Peak can pick up something like 5" to 7" from this. Then there are several other shots on goal during the next week.

j law

I wonder if I could get a "pass" from the wife next saturday if the snow holds like you're saying...

BenedictGomez

Lets see what we can collectively glean from today:

Tim Kelley noted the r/s line was at approximately 2,500 feet today at Stowe, and a few inches of new snow at top, but that it rained hard at the base enough to cost snow.

Smuggs makes no mention of rain, though it must have given the close proximity to Stowe, and claims 2" of new snow today. I do see they actually opened a few trails that had been previously closed.

Jay Peak mentioned it rained briefly, but that they've picked up a few inches as well.

A quick look at the radar shows temps dropping, and if it's not snowing up & down the spine, it will be soon.

All-in-all, I'd say this was about as good as we could have hoped for.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

18z GFS coming in with more snow on the spine tonight that previously modeled, pointing to 4" to 6".

This is just 7pm tonight to 7pm tomorrow on the GFS.

gfs_asnow_neus_4.png

NAM s similar but sees a bit less, 3" to 4"

nam4km_asnow_neus_7.png

BenedictGomez

Overnight snow didn't pan out as much as it had looked, but the good news is that neither did yesterday's rain.

All-in-all that's a win.