• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

j law

I just got off the hill at Mt Snow. Everything very firm Nd fast, icy and slide off in the afternoon. .

Did it get above freezing at mt snow today? It's definitely cold there tonight so I'm wondering if the morning will be firm or if the snow they do get will be dust on crust.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZonemmmmmm🔤🔤🔤🔤🔤

chuckstah

I don't think it got out of the high 20's. Felt cold all day, but never saw the actual temp. Groomers will ski good early I would think, and everything in the afternoon if it warms up enough. Most mogul runs were roped and it was the right call.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A little more than 6" ,Took my 8yr old to Bear creek for some night skiing , was a night of suprises, was suprised when we got there , freezing drizzle, fogggy, turned into a mist than fine snow. It was much faster than I expected.
Managed to get a bunch of untracked lines on the sides.
The lifties were very profesional, holding chairs back , slowed lift a couple of times for the little guy, never missed a beat.
Very polite.
Pocono's will be great tomorrow

bdfreetuna

I hear winter like this past one probably be normal for next 20-30 years.

It's impossible to accurately predict, but it appears solar cycle 24 is wrapping up as the weakest in over a century, similar to before the Dalton Minimum from 1790 - 1830. If that happens this past winter will most likely seem relatively mild in comparison to the next few decades.

Not saying that *will* happen, but it doesn't seem like a long shot either. Since you said "20-30 years" I figured this is what you heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Minimum

Jcb890

Conditions were GREAT at Mount Snow this weekend for the most part.

Saturday got quite warm. The heat and sun made the snow really soft and easy all day. Any chop that started to build early was smoothed over. The North Face was open and riding well even at the end of the day.

Sunday was very cold and very windy. At least the sun stayed out though, that probably helped a little. The North Face was closed all day due to wind.

BenedictGomez

Increasingly looks like we're not going to escape significant rain this week, followed by cold temps. Yay.

On the bright side, the Canadian would follow that rain with some good snowfall for the farthest north terrain, which should "repair" the damage. South of n.VT or ADK look pretty screwed at this point though.

You'll find me at Jay Peak again this Saturday if this scenario plays out. If the GFS scenario plays out, you'll find me..... doing something else.

SnowRock

Pre-planned trip to stowe this weekend. Do I kill myself trying to get up to ride thursday or just wake up at a normal human time and make what i can of Friday and the weekend.

hammer

Increasingly looks like we're not going to escape significant rain this week, followed by cold temps. Yay.

On the bright side, the Canadian would follow that rain with some good snowfall for the farthest north terrain, which should "repair" the damage. South of n.VT or ADK look pretty screwed at this point though.

You'll find me at Jay Peak again this Saturday if this scenario plays out. If the GFS scenario plays out, you'll find me..... doing something else.

So will this kill off any places in southern NH or VT for Easter weekend? What day trip alternatives from the Boston area will there be?

xwhaler

So will this kill off any places in southern NH or VT for Easter weekend? What day trip alternatives from the Boston area will there be?

If we consider day trip to be 2 hrs or less each way (from Boston) I'd say you will have Loon, Ragged, WV, Cannon, Gunstock, Sunapee at the very least for NH offering lift serviced skiing Easter wknd.
I'm looking at Cannon on 4/4 myself

hammer

If we consider day trip to be 2 hrs or less each way (from Boston) I'd say you will have Loon, Ragged, WV, Cannon, Gunstock, Sunapee at the very least for NH offering lift serviced skiing Easter wknd.
I'm looking at Cannon on 4/4 myself
Sounds like a good selection, just want it to be a bit warmer to soften things up a bit...