• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

BenedictGomez

Newest Siberian snow data update. This time from DT. It still looks incredibly impressive. Fingers crossed (toes too).

1799009_766331356747458_6193180352357451806_o.png

catsup948

Interesting to see if December is snowy this winter. I feel like it's been awhile since a good December down here. December is traditionally snowy month for a lot of New England. I don't mind January thaw as much if I've had some great days before mlk day.

skiNEwhere

Newest Siberian snow data update. This time from DT. It still looks incredibly impressive. Fingers crossed (toes too).

1799009_766331356747458_6193180352357451806_o.png

Can you explain this rough correlation? Or is it simply, more early season snow in Siberia, more in the north east?

BenedictGomez

Another winter prediction. Hopefully his being southern-based is jading his analysis, as while it's similar thinking, his "colder and more snow" area is further south than most predictions.

10710889_935144869848902_7696955984146320229_n.jpg

BenedictGomez

Looks like the November forecast has complete flipped from the mild to slightly-warm and now looks like it might be fairly cool

B1U-NXRCQAE8HGl.jpg

BenedictGomez

Bastardi trolling NOAA's Climate Forecasts hard, but he has a great point.

Here are the last 9 daily seasonal climate forecast panels leading into November, all predicting a very warm November (which I was parroting in this thread based on their data).

Now that November's actually here the reality is at least the 1st half is going to be cooler than normal, so if NOAA's to be correct then November 16th to November 30th better be an absolute scorcher of a blowtorch.

B1gurYtIYAACvLz.jpg

KevinF

Of the last two maps posted, one shows "near average" temps/snowfall for New England and one shows "much above normal snowfall" for New England.

I don't know how "advanced" a science meteorology is these days, but given that the various long-range forecasts have very little in common with each other, I'm thinking the field of long-range forecasting is in its infancy and these graphs should be viewed primarily for their humor value.

dlague

Of the last two maps posted, one shows "near average" temps/snowfall for New England and one shows "much above normal snowfall" for New England.

I don't know how "advanced" a science meteorology is these days, but given that the various long-range forecasts have very little in common with each other, I'm thinking the field of long-range forecasting is in its infancy and these graphs should be viewed primarily for their humor value.

You go with the most favorable map for the stoke factor!

BenedictGomez

The long-range projection stuff often goes horribly wrong, but it's still fun to look at. At the end of the day, yes, it's a field in it's infancy, but much of science is trial and error.

You go with the most favorable map for the stoke factor!

That's a good strategy too!