• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

dlague

I was planning on a n.VT trip next weekend, but if the GFS is correct I'm pulling the plug on it. If the Canuck is correct Friday will be fine, but Saturday might not be too pleasant.

I'll be anxiously watching this over the next few days. Le sigh.....:sadwalk:

OK suspense is killing me! What are the early signs?

Cannonball

I was planning on a n.VT trip next weekend, but if the GFS is correct I'm pulling the plug on it. If the Canuck is correct Friday will be fine, but Saturday might not be too pleasant.

I'll be anxiously watching this over the next few days. Le sigh.....:sadwalk:

Next weekend...as in 7-9 days from now? Plenty of time for that forecast to change 12 times.

BenedictGomez

Are you nuts? Taking a 7 day model seriously?

Next weekend...as in 7-9 days from now?

Ambient temperature is handled way better than precipitation, though, so I do expect it to be cold, and cold is fine. Negative temperatures without even factoring in potential wind (I didnt run the wind panels), however, could get ugly.

I skied Whiteface on Saturday in -3 to...... I think it hit 6 degrees that day, but it was a drier-than-death cold, sunny, and without a hint of a breeze.

JDMRoma

As long as I don't hear R@!n I'm skiing !
Don't care how cold it gets ....F it !
What's the worst thing that could happen ? Frostbite of the nose ⛄️

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I was out in minus fifteen on Saturday. It's no problem at all without crowds or wind and with a sunny day. I had a blast!

Same for us, -16 at the summit at Cannon and had a blast too! Got there at 9 and stopped at 3:30 (lunch in between)

dlague

How do you keep your boots warm in that kind of weather ?

I do not cram my toes into my boots so I can wiggle the toes but my feet do not get cold easy and I do not Jae boot heaters or use toe warmers. Same goes for my wife. I also do not use hand warmers.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I do not cram my toes into my boots so I can wiggle the toes but my feet do not get cold easy and I do not Jae boot heaters or use toe warmers. Same goes for my wife. I also do not use hand warmers.
This one is so subjective. I know some hard chargers that get painfully cold toes. He broke down and got boot warmers and said he should have got them 20 years ago. I also know a few people that use the boot covers and are really happy with them. I go with the throw away toe warmers, two pair a day when it's below 0F because they are so cheap (where I get them). So much of it depends on your own body.

BenedictGomez

This is what I was worried about for this weekend:

Saturday - Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 3. Windy, with a northwest wind 33 to 36 mph.

But I thought Friday would be fine, but now.... that's looking at 30mph winds too. Will have to decide whether to pull the plug tomorrow or not. Yuck.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This is what I was worried about for this weekend:

Saturday - Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 3. Windy, with a northwest wind 33 to 36 mph.

But I thought Friday would be fine, but now.... that's looking at 30mph winds too. Will have to decide whether to pull the plug tomorrow or not. Yuck.

You never know if you don't go. The season is too short. Whatchagonnado? Stay home and watch ski racing?
I was out in -15 last weekend. The forecast was for winds that never materialized: these are valley forecasts.. What mountain are you considering.