• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Where are you seeing that? The few places I visit show a system will give most of Vermont/NH/Maine and the Catskills rain ending as 2-4" of snow Monday-Tuesday and behind it some cold air with highs not getting above freezing. Make sure your edges are sharp.

I said the same thing to myself. Still will be plenty cold at night for snowmaking. As for the bumps....I don't like them as much as I used to.

BenedictGomez

Where are you seeing that?

After a cold week, it looks like much of the country will be warmer than normal by around the 22nd'ish. Even if that's true though, you'd hope VT/NH/DAX places could still make snow at night. Poconos & Cats, dunno. Hopefully the entire forecasts falls apart and it stays cold.

skiberg

Even if it warms up significantly, they are going to put a lot of snow down in the next 8-10 days and nights. Turkey day should be looking pretty good.

4aprice

After a cold week, it looks like much of the country will be warmer than normal by around the 22nd'ish. Even if that's true though, you'd hope VT/NH/DAX places could still make snow at night. Poconos & Cats, dunno. Hopefully the entire forecasts falls apart and it stays cold.

JB says not so fast.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong,NJ

jack97

BenedictGomez

Yeah warmup around Thanksgiving may not be so warm. Just a possible return to normal at the most.

Given how terrible the climate models have been so far, I guess that shouldn't be surprising. So much for the "warmer than normal November". NOAA's not just going to be wrong, but embarrassingly wrong.

Speaking of JB, here's his sons call for the minor snow event.

10384357_782909585099839_7932116668800394666_n.png

4aprice

^ That's optimistic. Tim Kelly on NECN was showing some snow but turning liquid all the way to Canada last night. The cold air will return however, maybe something late week too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

^ That's optimistic. Tim Kelly on NECN was showing some snow but turning liquid all the way to Canada last night. The cold air will return however, maybe something late week too.

DT actually called for generally more snow than that chart. Had some 5" to 6" bands up in n.VT

EDIT: Threw in another map.
10424323_776337415746852_7775025615621232791_n.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Hey BG, I'm just getting back into this. The Euro hasn't been performing well recently????

I was talking about the climate models from NOAA, which predicted a warmer than normal November just a few weeks ago. What happened? Well, it's likely we're going to have the coldest November in the US in years. It's pretty bad when your climate model predicts "warmer than normal" and just a few weeks later get near historical cold. At this point, the Chinese hacking might actually improve things.

The Euro though is showing the end of November might be pretty darn cold. So other than a few days warm-up it looks like we might quickly return to fantastic snow-making temps. This is for next Wednesday, look at that arctic shot punching away the warm air.

1781380_10154851151150387_8046502714927522280_o.png

Rowsdower

I was talking about the climate models from NOAA, which predicted a warmer than normal November just a few weeks ago. What happened? Well, it's likely we're going to have the coldest November in the US in years. It's pretty bad when your climate model predicts "warmer than normal" and just a few weeks later get near historical cold. At this point, the Chinese hacking might actually improve things.

The Euro though is showing the end of November might be pretty darn cold. So other than a few days warm-up it looks like we might quickly return to fantastic snow-making temps. This is for next Wednesday, look at that arctic shot punching away the warm air.

1781380_10154851151150387_8046502714927522280_o.png

I don't think those are the systems used for climate modeling. Near-term weather forecasting is not the same as climate modeling. Besides, apart from this last week its not been unseasonably cold, at least not here in New Jersey, and next week looks much much warmer going into December. I also don't know how that stacks up globally. I wouldn't extrapolate a cold snap in the NE to global temp changes until all the numbers are in.

BenedictGomez

I don't think those are the systems used for climate modeling. Near-term weather forecasting is not the same as climate modeling. Besides, apart from this last week its not been unseasonably cold, at least not here in New Jersey, and next week looks much much warmer going into December. I also don't know how that stacks up globally. I wouldn't extrapolate a cold snap in the NE to global temp changes until all the numbers are in.

You're confusing several different things. NOAA's climate models did indeed in advance predict a "warmer than normal" November, and this is anything but. And yes, it has been unseasonably cold here in New Jersey, our temps should be in the high 50s to low 60s early on, then mid 50s, then low 50s at the end of the month. Our actual data has been way below that, in contrast to NOAA's forecast. If you search online, you can find plenty of sarcasm regarding how badly NOAA busted. Lastly, we're not going to be "much warmer going into December", which you're going to soon realize on Wednesday. Thankfully.

BenedictGomez

Love him or hate him, he's bullish on this winter.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Pretty much everyone is bullish on this winter. :daffy:

I am personally not a big fan of his page, though I do read it. IMO, I think he's WAY overly optimistic, especially and curiously around holiday periods. Which leads me to believe that his analysis is not entirely without bias.

gostan

He has to be optimistic in order for his home hill of MRG to open. I enjoy reading Josh's weekly forecasts, but I would have to go to meteorology school in order to comprehend his recent seasonal forecast.

BenedictGomez

The next potential shot on goal has arrived.

All models except for the crappy US government's model have some form of snow in or around the ne for this timeframe, so it may just pan out.

10383550_783954651651795_831919202810886057_n.png