• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2014-2015 Winter Forecast (here we go)

BenedictGomez

:uzi:BG, I'm going to report you for obscene posts. I've never heard more filthy, repugnant language in my life! I sentence you 40 runs on Besser bindings with straps!

It's only a FEW days!

Here's something you'll like better, Bastardi just posted the long-range climate model, it's below-normal cold for as far as the model goes out to (45 days)! VT, DAX, Cats extremely cold.

B-itvYrCEAAFDQ2.png

dlague

:uzi:BG, I'm going to report you for obscene posts. I've never heard more filthy, repugnant language in my life! I sentence you 40 runs on Besser bindings with straps!

+1

We got a pattern change out in the Sierra....went from hot and dry to cold and dry. Now the mountain and all its cornices, chutes and steep tree lines are a solid block of ice. Can't. Fucking. Win.

Looking forward to spring skiing slushy bumps back east when this abortion of a ski season finally comes to an end.

Edit, I was curious and looked up YTD snowfalls in our area. under 150 inches at Kirkwood. 64 inches at heavenly. Most of it fell back in December so with highs in the 40's and 50 everyday for over six weeks its mostly long gone. I've yet to shovel once down at lake level....it is BAD

Considering the winter we are having in the Northeast, I feel bad for you but we have been due this snow for quite some time!

I know that it may not make me popular, but I really enjoyed a slightly above 32 degree sunny day on the slopes today. It has been fricking cold for a long time. The weather stations are calling this stretch of weather as historic(I hate that), but 30 days of below freezing temps and 73" of snow in 4 weeks at my house is unmatched in the last 30 years.

It is inevitable - spring skiing! I have to admit as well, I liked the upper 20's at Cannon yesterday.

catsup948

-PNA keeps getting pushed back on models. Cold air will definitely be here this week. Maybe it sticks around somewhat into next week. This week is the end of the bitter cold at least which will be a welcome relief for ski country.

4aprice

It's only a FEW days!

Here's something you'll like better, Bastardi just posted the long-range climate model, it's below-normal cold for as far as the model goes out to (45 days)! VT, DAX, Cats extremely cold.

B-itvYrCEAAFDQ2.png

Beat me to it. Saw that Joe had posted this. This is what we need, a long drawn out melt an 2 more months of skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

VTKilarney

Dang, that's awful for Tahoe. It seems like, thanks to the jet stream, when the west is warm we are cold in the east - and vice versa.

In northern Vermont, we've had one of the longest stretches of below freezing temps since modern records have been kept (1800's). Something has to give.

My fear is that we will go from colder than desired to much warmer than desired. I'd REALLY like to see at nice stretch of days in the 25-32 degree range before the real warm weather hits.

snoseek

I was back east for most of 10-11 and it was a damn fine year as was most of lower 48. It's been pure drought here ever since that season....this is the new norm and we are in it for the long haul. I need to find a new winter home, which I've put off because life in general is so good....I can't avoid it anymore and assume next year will be the big one.

Anyhow im gonna go skiing now because in the end skiing is still fun as hell

Edit-looking at maybe a spring killington pass if I need to bounce before april 1st

Edd

I'm at SR today and have invented the double balaclava strategy. Patent pending.

C-Rex

I'm at SR today and have invented the double balaclava strategy. Patent pending.

I was rocking the clava + neck gator a couple weeks ago.

I'm really hoping the Sierras and southern BC get a March Miracle this year. I'm heading to Red Mountain in mid march and so far it's not looking too good.

xwhaler

What are folks seeing for Northern VT this wknd?
I'll be doing Bolton, Smuggs, Sugarbush Sat-Monday and hoping either for not brutally cold conditions or even better some snow.

BenedictGomez

Booking a three night stay at Jay for April vacation! I'm thinking win win for either winter like conditions or spring.

I booked a 7-night stay at Smuggs for next month too. Figured the same thing.

What are folks seeing for Northern VT this wknd?
I'll be doing Bolton, Smuggs, Sugarbush Sat-Monday and hoping either for not brutally cold conditions or even better some snow.

BTV wake-up temps and highs those days are -12, 1, 14, and 11, 20, 23 (obviously the mountains will be a bit colder than these) respectively on today's 12z GFS-ENS. No real snow to speak of until Monday during the day. Isobars seem fairly benign during your entire stay, so wind doesn't look like an issue. You were wise to bag Friday.

Last edited:

soulseller

I was back east for most of 10-11 and it was a damn fine year as was most of lower 48. It's been pure drought here ever since that season....this is the new norm and we are in it for the long haul. I need to find a new winter home, which I've put off because life in general is so good....I can't avoid it anymore and assume next year will be the big one.

I went to Tahoe March 2011, omgoodness was it good. We caught the tail end of something like a 9 day 200" storm. None of us had ever seen anything like it, one for the memory banks for sure.

dlague

Looks like a few inches will hit ME and parts of Northern NH tonight. Points North in VT, NH and ME will be start off cold on Friday, a little better on Saturday and pretty nice on Sunday. Central and Southern areas of New England look to have a cold start on Friday and be pretty nice on Saturday and Sunday.

Abominable

Seeing a bit of a refresh Sunday night for S VT / Berkshires? Wunderground calling for a few.

Also, something brewing for mid week next week? Silly to consider this far out, but when checking the forecast for a couple ski areas for the weekend couldn't help but notice.

BenedictGomez

something brewing for mid week next week? Silly to consider this far out, but when checking the forecast for a couple ski areas for the weekend couldn't help but notice.

Tuesday night & Wednesday morning. GFS and Canadian both have it. GFS is snow and rain mix as but hopefully mostly snow at elevation. Canadian is colder, and to my eye a bit more south, stays all snow down to north Jersey.

Abominable

Aha! So now We need your professional opinion- Take a day off Monday hoping for a little refresher or save it for Wednesday or Thursday depending on how it looks. Tough call, kind of running out of "call in sick" and need to do more of "give a couple days notice." Frankly I consider that an unreasonable request by management but what can you do?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

That 2-day warmup that appeared on both the Euro and the GFS several days back has completely vanished.

Long-range currently looks abnormally cold through mid-March.

images