• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recently I feel like what I imagine it's like to be Scotty

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Like in a million places at once. Work has been nuts. Two kids under 2 at home has been nuts (really awesome, but insanely busy!). Sleep has been sporadic. Between some video work I've been doing, AlpineZone backend stuff, projects around the house, and just the non stop kids birthdays and holidays and events I feel like my attention span has gotten down to about four seconds.

People will come into my cube at work and talk to me and I feel like it takes every ounce of energy to focus on the words they are saying and to comprehend it.

Maybe time for some ADHD medication or something? I don't know if it's burnout or what.

I've got a vacation coming up next week in South Carolina. I can't remember the last time I have been this excited to unplug from work for a bit and just relax. Whew!

How's everyone else doing this summer so far :D

PS; does that thread title make sense? I had to read it like four times to see if the sentence was correct. :spin:

skiNEwhere

Summer is good so far. Trying to find a good mountain bike to buy, closing on a piece of land in unincorporated Golden so I can build a house, and taking online college courses

P.S Personally I would've worded the title "Recently I've imagined what it feels like to be Scotty." But I feel like what I type on AZ is mumbled and incoherent at times as well though, so I may not be the best authority

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That might be a better title.

Although technically, isn't imagining what it feels like to be scotty, different from feeling like how I imagine Scotty to feel? The first makes it sound like I was sitting around imagining being Scotty. The second one says I'm feeling a certain way and I wonder if this is how Scotty feels? haha. Either way the point is made. Maybe even moreso by this post.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"2 Kids under 2 " LOL . It gets better when they're out of diapers! As you get older you'll look back on this time as "the good ol days"
2 in their 20's and a 7yr old , I have been blessed to relive some of the good ol days, I hope I don't screw it up.

You just need to sit in a quiet place and decompress every once in a while , mentally go to your "Happy Place"

I made a career move in 2008 and started a buisness, Summers out of control busy now. But when I first started when things were slow I would worry about enough money coming in , having time to think made me second guess my decision.
Unemployment vs Distraction ,
I think Scotty might have too much time to think right now.

My middle kid has a part time job and has been frustrated trying to find a full time .
has no interst in my work.

The carrot at the end of the stick is Skiing! Almost have all my ski boot build materials , epoxy, carbon fiber , buckles , walk pads ,velco straps ,sole matrerial , waiting for the liners , design is 90%

dlague

Nick it only gets crazier! I have four boys that played sports and were involved in other stuff and they had us driving everywhere plus keeping track of after school stuff gets crazy too! Two under two are the easy years! Lucky for my wife and I - I kids never were involved in winter sports except for skiing.

Having trouble focusing on people who are talking to you - I understand that and that too will stay the same.

Cornhead

Go with the flow, believe it or not, you're going to turn around and wonder where the time went. My Son will be 25 next month, it seems like yesterday he was a toddler, enjoy it while you can.

Warp Daddy

It is called LIFE ,Nick . THIS is all part of the deal,it is a series of evolving events , most of which generate "a degreeof Eustress, or good stress, and some ~~~ career Stress ~~~~. The trick is maintaining areal committment to centering your life , prioritizing your committments , STOP needing to be loved by all especially at work and focusing on putiing ALL the BIG stones in your jar b4 letting the little stones consume your time .

It evolves , it changes , but the one CONSTANT that YOU and only You can control is HOW YOU Choose to react ! read about Victor Franckel ( sp) sometime . he was captured by the Nazi,s and endured .

in the end things come full cycle , your kids mature ,develop and hopefully become like you in many traits , values and behaviours . As far as job related stress , a great piece of wisdom that was passed on to me may help . It is far better to be respected and with almost any given situation " A hundred yrs from now , "no one will give a rats ass" about this task ,etc .

Just take vacations ,they are there for a reason . WE all NEED them , a whipped Nicky ain't no good to no one ;)

Enjoy! As your goal RETIREMENT is fantastic , i define it as "adolescence WITH $$$$"

warp

jimk

It is called LIFE...in the end things come full cycle ,
As a father of four I can tell you one thing about family life: you will never be bored for the rest of your life.

Speaking of full cycle, my memory impaired 91 year old MIL moved in with us on an emergency basis in February. She's still here. In so many ways it is like having a toddler back in the household. My wife is a saint and leading/coordinating the caregiving. I didn't picture this scenario as I approached retirement, but God works in mysterious ways. This woman and her husband were really good to us when our kids were the age of your kids, even built us a home! We've been given the opportunity to prove our gratitude. She has an adequate retirement income and is not a financial drain on us, but very big physical and emotional challenge. I'm rather religious and trust in the Lord to see us through, but I have it easy. It's my wife I'm worried about who's handling the lion's share of the stress and demands of the situation.
PS: I hope Scotty lands on his feet and finds gainful employment. That is really important for the self esteem of a young adult.

Warp Daddy

Jim i believe that you will be given the strength to do what is right . I too am a firm believer that we are never given a challenge by the Lord that we are incapable of handling , if we Endure, Persevere and ask for help . Just keep on ,keeping on .

All the best to you and your family in this labor of love,

warp

jimk

Thanks WarpDaddy and I apologize to Nick for sharing a little vignette from my own life and hijacking his thread. :dunce:

ScottySkis

Soorrrrrry Nick. Vacation should be grat for you. i sure you will have great memories of yoir family tikes from now as you get older. I been having fin summer lots of biking and hiking and job search has been ok. Thanks for thre great title. i probably have to go to labor job but thst ok. . i have a few connections. Been nice not getting up at 420 am everyday for work. i skiped lots of etuff i was planning on co.certs wise..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
hahahaha :)

Scotty I'm just joking you know. Glad you are making progress in the job hunt.

Thanks all. It sure is interesting! I love every minute of it. It's just so nonstop crazy.

SkiFanE

Oh my...you have it easy. I have 3 kids, 3 homes and a FT job in city. With 2 kids I still tried to do normal things - like keep the house nice and clean, send thank you notes, read the notes that come home from school, make play dates... With #3 - it's now survival - if they need it or they'll starve/die/flunk out of school it gets one...otherwise it's son the 'nice to have' list. BUT...I will gladly let a pan sit in the sink dirty for an hour and ride a bike with a kid, sit around and chat with teen instead of balancing bank account... you pick/choose when there is never enough time to go around. And with my kids spaced over 10 years, I have definitely learned to appreciate LIFE and not the CRAP that goes with it :)

Skiing is my salvation...I've pretty much given up myself to my kids...except skiing...still get in 50-60 days/year - they are all great skiers now, they really had no choice because Mom is selfish and makes them go every weekend - I'm a meany :)

Summer is fabulous :) My oldest graduated HS in Bogota in June...big trip down there, whole family...got to experience World Cup with Colombians (OMG...they make the super bowl look like a regular old sunday game!). Getting her ready for college...middle kid graduated from 8th grade same day (had to miss it :( ) and little 8yo is sharp as whip and got so into WC soccer, it was awesome, and is double excited to play this fall (travel soccer, he's a great player already). I have 2 weeks vacation coming up :)

And...Nick...now is a certain type of "tired"...it's physically exhausting. But once they get to be teens it's a different kind of exhaustion...figuring out what to do and how to motivate so they don't become derilicts in life! I really long for the "easy" days that required manpower...but not too much brain power. I feel outwitted day after day !!!

snoseek

I know you guys adore you're children and that's awesome....I like my nephews and have crazy fun with them but this thread is a pleasant reminder that I'm happy to never had kids.....a little bit of simple planning and a whole lot of luck. I'm 41 and think about this every single day of my life, it's relief to me.

gmcunni

I know you guys adore you're children and that's awesome....I like my nephews and have crazy fun with them but this thread is a pleasant reminder that I'm happy to never had kids.....a little bit of simple planning and a whole lot of luck. I'm 41 and think about this every single day of my life, it's relief to me.

conversely, i have 2 kids and regret immensely not having a 3rd.