• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breaking up (with Comcast) is hard to do

hammer

Somehow I don't think Comcast is alone in these tactics...I've never had a super hard push but I have gone through "customer retention" departments before when cancelling subscriptions and memberships.

And I definitely call BS on what Comcast has been saying after this was put out on the Internet.

Cannonball

I guess I don't understand why anyone would waste so much time going around and around with them like that. "Let me rephrase: I'm unplugging my Comcast box and I am not paying the bill anymore." CLICK.

Glenn

When you call to cancel service, you a press a button and are transferred to a department that does whatever it can to keep you on board. It's not the regular run of the mill customer service department. The lady I dealt with was very pleasant and chatty. And of course, tried to get me to stay with cable. I just told her get better HD for free vs. having to pay for cable...then pay extra for an HD feed. Plus, I'm trying to cut my expenses and since we don't watch much TV, cable can go.

Looking forward to the day when we have more choices for internet.

Geoff

Looking forward to the day when we have more choices for internet.

And exactly when do you think that is going to be? Comcast revenues are declining as more and more people ditch the cable TV and phone part of their product line. Nobody is going to enter the market as a competitor when the only thing they can be is a dumb pipe. Verizon has given up on FIOS. If you're not in a high population density affluent zip code, you will never see it. Google is messing around with being an ISP but it's unlikely they'll do much beyond cherry pick some major cities. It is enormously expensive to roll out a residential data network. If all you can get is $50.00/month for, at best, 50% market share, the return on investment is a no-go.