• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's official, a brand new orange 6 pack bubble at Okemo

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm in Grand Junction. Maybe I should stop by Poma and ask. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jackson Gore lift is under utilized today - not enough interesting terrains over there!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

The previously proposed Jackson Gore gondola he is referencing was to go from the Jackson Gore base to Okemo's summit. So, essentially a transfer lift and a REALLY expensive transfer lift at that. I get the logic. It's a pain in the ass to get back to the main mountain from Jackson Gore requiring multiple lift rides and traverses. I just don't see the skier traffic over at Jackson Gore to justify the investment.

xwhaler

Whenever I ski Okemo JG quad is almost empty....I actually like the terrain over there more than the main mtn

jaytrem

The previously proposed Jackson Gore gondola he is referencing was to go from the Jackson Gore base to Okemo's summit. So, essentially a transfer lift and a REALLY expensive transfer lift at that. I get the logic. It's a pain in the ass to get back to the main mountain from Jackson Gore requiring multiple lift rides and traverses. I just don't see the skier traffic over at Jackson Gore to justify the investment.

They might be able to justify it with summer operations. Most of their summer attractions are based in Jackson Gore, and I don't think they currently run any lifts for sightseeing. I have no clue how much cash a sightseeing gondola would bring in, but the planned installation would be more ideal for that than use during a ski day.

xlr8r

Stratton being clever on their Facebook page with a post title "Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a new gondola in town" even if it technically is a refurb and not an entirely new lift. Still good to see rivals poke fun at each other.

The new Stratton cabins have started to arrive as well http://www.stratton.com/the-mountain/gondola-webcam.aspx

Newpylong

JG Proposed Gondola Liftline: http://skimap.org/data/204/260/1283542654.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stratton being clever on their Facebook page with a post title "Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a new gondola in town" even if it technically is a refurb and not an entirely new lift. Still good to see rivals poke fun at each other.

The new Stratton cabins have started to arrive as well http://www.stratton.com/the-mountain/gondola-webcam.aspx

Good one

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Technically skiing from the top of the JG side you can make it all the way back to the main lodge without multiple lift rides. From Sunset Strip you get dumped out onto Mountain road and take that all the way back to the main lodge - it is a pretty boring traverse for the most part but does not require multiple lifts.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Technically skiing from the top of the JG side you can make it all the way back to the main lodge without multiple lift rides. From Sunset Strip you get dumped out onto Mountain road and take that all the way back to the main lodge - it is a pretty boring traverse for the most part but does not require multiple lifts.

I was referring to Jackson Gore base. It takes two lifts, plus the long traverse you mention to get back to the main mountain from there. It takes three, including that long traverse to get the main summit and four lifts to get to the top of Glades Peak from JG base. The gondola was to go from JG base to the main summit.

gmcunni

from a 2011 alpinezone challenge
steamboat1: In the original Jackson Gore plans there was a top to bottom gondola envisioned. Are there any plans to install such a lift in the future?
Bruce Schmidt: The plans to install a state-of-the-art gondola at Jackson Gore are still in play. Ski areas across the country have had to delay plans for large improvements, such as new gondolas due to a slowed economy, and Okemo Mountain is not an exception. We intend to move forward with the plans as soon as we can as we are aware that in order to continue to compete as a world-class resort we must provide the highest level of convenience.

gmcunni

Screen-Shot-2014-07-17-at-2.09.jpeg

Vermont’s Okemo Mountain Resort is upping the ante on people moves this year, investing in the first-ever six person, heated bubble chair. Capable of moving 1,000 feet per minute, the lift features heated seating pads and a retractable acrylic dome similar to the space ship chairlifts currently flying up Utah’s Canyons Resort. The higher capacity chair should decrease lines and will offer an endless supply of toasty buns—and that’s something we can all support.

from powder.com

http://www.powder.com/stories/news/week-review-july-18-ski-top-danish-power-plant/

Smellytele

Screen-Shot-2014-07-17-at-2.09.jpeg

Vermont’s Okemo Mountain Resort is upping the ante on people moves this year, investing in the first-ever six person, heated bubble chair. Capable of moving 1,000 feet per minute, the lift features heated seating pads and a retractable acrylic dome similar to the space ship chairlifts currently flying up Utah’s Canyons Resort. The higher capacity chair should decrease lines and will offer an endless supply of toasty buns—and that’s something we can all support.

from powder.com

http://www.powder.com/stories/news/week-review-july-18-ski-top-danish-power-plant/

How long will it take until half the heated seats don't work?

drjeff

How long will it take until half the heated seats don't work?

They pretty much all apparently still work at The Canyons orange bubble quad, and that lift is heading on its at least 5th, if not 6th season. Granted Doppelmayr built that one and Leitner is building Okemo's so we'll see....

On an aside, having ridden the orange bubble at the Canyons a few times, and the Bluebird at Mount Snow literally hundreds of times, I'm honestly not sure if heated seats really are needed! It does warm up quite nicely just via radiant light through the bubble on its own

skizoo

This lift is essentially a 6 million dollar A*S and face warmer. it's going to be loved by the holiday & 5 day a year skier.

Personally, I love being in the snow and cold. But Okemo is not a cold mountain by VT standards nor is it a windy one. This lift will not reduce lines in fact they'll likely increase as it will be a side loader, which means access from one side when you have trails feeding the lift area from both sides. On busy days it's a circus trying to get 4 people on a lift at Okemo now. Combine that with the insatiable need of some to lower the bar before everyone is seated and now X that by 2 with a bubble.

I'm going to hate riding with others as I'm guessing a lot of folks will want the bubble down on what are not really cold days.. and I won't. And I'm guessing there will be a lot more lifties directing people how and when to load so they're going to try and fill most chairs.

I think this is a big waste and the money could have been much better spent getting a lift from the base area with a mid station where Sachem now unloads and then taking it to the top replacing Sachem and Glades. that would actually improve the skiing experience. This lift is 100% fluff and replaces a lift that still had a lot of life left in it.

As a business decision, I can see where they're coming from as this lift will be a huge + for their target market. Those folks will love it. I see nothing beneficial in this move at all.

I live in Ludlow but will probably be using my K pass a lot more this year especially pre Xmas when it will take 20 mins to get to the top of Okemo via Sachem and Glades

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This lift is 100% fluff and replaces a lift that still had a lot of life left in it.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

There were MANY other ways this money could've been used. I would have liked a new base lodge more than a new lift...and normally I don't give a damn about any off-mountain infrastructure.

Edd

That is funny. Personally, I'd rather ride a six pack bubble chair over a gondola any day. Taking the skis off is annoying.