• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's official, a brand new orange 6 pack bubble at Okemo

xwhaler

Cannon/Gunstock combo pass should/could happen given they are both owned/run by the state---I know Gunstock is Belknap county but there should be a way to figure that out. Though perhaps I'm giving in-state federal govt too much credit to work together on something.

Highway Star

Killington gets some shiny new mulch this year! It's going to be awesome!!!

mbedle

I'm not sure Vail would agree with that statement. They have some of the cheapest passes out there. You know its cheap when you call up to reserve a room for a week and they sell you a season pass, because you save money skiing for 6 days on the pass. How could you turn down buying a keystone/abasin season pass for $289. That is crazy skiing out there for 6 days at $49 a day!!!

Yeah that's exactly their situation. They're making good money with the current volume. Remember ASC cheap passes, in some ways, ruined things because there were too many skiers and riders.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not sure Vail would agree with that statement. They have some of the cheapest passes out there. You know its cheap when you call up to reserve a room for a week and they sell you a season pass, because you save money skiing for 6 days on the pass. How could you turn down buying a keystone/abasin season pass for $289. That is crazy skiing out there for 6 days at $49 a day!!!

They've got a different revenue/pricing strategy. If you've skied Vail you know that season passes are cheap, day passes are average/high, and everything else is really, really expensive. They have MANY more avenues for revenue than Triple Peaks does with Sunapee (destination resort vs. day resort).

Last edited:

dlague

Screw bubbles and gondis, grow a beard.

I think this is funny - we have all skied in sub zero conditions, heavy snow days, and very windy days as well. We never used chairs with a bubble and we were fine. I think a bubble play is more suited for the beginner intermediate crowd that would otherwise not venture out when conditions are what they consider tough. Hardcore skiers/snowboarders would go out in most any condition.

snosharkrider

"I think this is funny - we have all skied in sub zero conditions, heavy snow days, and very windy days as well. We never used chairs with a bubble and we were fine."

Sentiments like these - from various posters - remind me of the Bill Cosby quote about his
father walking to school 4 o'clock every morning with no shoes on, uphill, both ways, and how he was thankful.

I know some hardcore skiers who will appreciate the bubble making easier scheduling safety meeting sessions.

gmcunni

and in other Okemo News -

Orange is Powerful
Operation Snowburst II is underway, as Okemo will soon take delivery of 100 new, energy-efficient HKD tower guns. Okemo utilizes snowmaking guns of various types, but it is the HKD SV series of guns that will be making a big impression on skiers and riders operation snowburst II and HKDvisiting Okemo, and specifically the Solitude area, this winter. The mountain-wide total of these modular and versatile tower guns now sits at 1,125! Operation Snowburst II will mean more snow for Okemo Mountain Resort skiers and riders when they need it most. Okemo is targeting November 15 as opening day of the 2014/15 season. - See more at: http://www.okemo.com/activities/snowsports/ticketing/orange_is_whats_new.asp#sthash.IyecLdt3.dpuf

dlague

It's easy to blow snow on a flat mountain. Not to much base required.

They have a boatload of snow guns and snow making capacity - it really does not matter what their trails grade is! Stowe and Killington are in the same class with respect to snow making production are they too flat too? Okemo can cover 650 acres with snow making. Killington can cover 57 miles of trails or about 1200 acres but Killington only has about 350 more guns - are they spread too thin?

Vermont #1 for Snowmaking either way!

Newpylong

Just as easy as it is to blow snow on a steep mountain.

But not produce a base...

He has a good point, it is easy to make tons of snow and have it hold on flat terrain. You can get away with making far less and being skiiable.

Okemo and Stratton are both flat and make a sh*t load of snow though. What impresses me both is the actual % of terrain covered. Practically every trail has pipes.

Edd

But not produce a base...

He has a good point, it is easy to make tons of snow and have it hold on flat terrain. You can get away with making far less and being skiiable.

Agreed. Bretton Woods holds onto snow easier for the same reason. It's pretty noticeable if you frequently ski the areas surrounding it.

ScottySkis

They have a boatload of snow guns and snow making capacity - it really does not matter what their trails grade is! Stowe and Killington are in the same class with respect to snow making production are they too flat too? Okemo can cover 650 acres with snow making. Killington can cover 57 miles of trails or about 1200 acres but Killington only has about 350 more guns - are they spread too thin?

Vermont #1 for Snowmaking either way!

Today, Hunter maintains it’s reputation as "the snow making capital of the world," routinely opening terrain faster than most other mountains. After a warm start to the season in 2010 Hunter got 90% of terrain open in eight days. Hunter has become a lynch pin in the local economy and much of the commerce in the village of Hunter centers around the ski area and its year round activities.
Just a reminder of who really invested in the snow making speed and great snow many years ago.
http://nyskiblog.com/directory/#nabble-td4709195

bobbutts

Okemo's first run open at least used to be World Cup t-b
It's a black that would be blue elsewhere, pretty similar pitch to what most places open early season.
Compared to K-mart's short, flat, slow triple with a walk required, it's steeper, much longer, and serviced by a much nicer lift, especially with the upgrade this season.