• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big snowmaking upgrade at Wildcat

Puck it

Lynx would be a much better offering than what Killington serves up. Wildcat would definitely earn my early season business (assuming comparable pricing... I would love to see some 2fers like what Killington offers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Sunday River. I would love a NH resort to win the first to open year after year!!!!!!

yeggous

And Sunday River. I would love a NH resort to win the first to open year after year!!!!!!

It's not clear to me that the really want or will be able to be the absolute first to open. It seems they are going to be top-to-bottom or bust. The GM mentions want to open with a quality product, which is not something that you hear from Sunday River or Killington early season. K-Mart and SR will open with whatever they have, which is also appreciated because I am grateful to have that much.

Smellytele

I love Wildcat and would love to see them in the early game. If they get some good stuff open for Thanksgiving weekend I would hit them up instead of SR.

Remember today is the last day to get the $35 weekday tix.

Newpylong

It's not clear to me that the really want or will be able to be the absolute first to open. It seems they are going to be top-to-bottom or bust. The GM mentions want to open with a quality product, which is not something that you hear from Sunday River or Killington early season. K-Mart and SR will open with whatever they have, which is also appreciated because I am grateful to have that much.

They have to be T2B, no more Catapult chair!

machski

I hope they get their ducks lined up if that is the plan. Back in the mid 2000's, they got a big (like 2 feet plus) late October dump and decided to open up. Great snow, the very last 200' vert of so got a little thin but it was killer up high. The problem was, the summit quad had not been recertified due to the chang-over from the cabins and so they could only open off Tomcat. Loon opened last year top of gondi to bottom, but I would be leary of calling the lower stuff quality. Of course, Wildcat has 1000' plus high base than Loon. Still would be shocked, doesn't seem like being in the 1st to open is in Peak's game.

drjeff

I hope they get their ducks lined up if that is the plan. Back in the mid 2000's, they got a big (like 2 feet plus) late October dump and decided to open up. Great snow, the very last 200' vert of so got a little thin but it was killer up high. The problem was, the summit quad had not been recertified due to the chang-over from the cabins and so they could only open off Tomcat. Loon opened last year top of gondi to bottom, but I would be leary of calling the lower stuff quality. Of course, Wildcat has 1000' plus high base than Loon. Still would be shocked, doesn't seem like being in the 1st to open is in Peak's game.

Gotta remember, the 1st year that Peak bought Mount Snow and installed 200+ fan guns, they were the 1st to open in VT - they got a window and went for it, and also benefited a bit from it being the 1st of the "mismanaged years" by Powdr at Killington.

Peak, realizing all the goodwill they lost last year with the snowmaking problems at Wildcat may very well be more aggressive with trying to get Wildcat open EARLY. The limiting factor though may be the fact that even with all the new pipes, pumps and snowguns, Wildcat still has a relatively limited overall water pumping capacity, which when you're trying to get a trail the length of Lynx open T2B, may present a "rapid response" challenge when compared to some of the other early season players. We'll see soon!

Savemeasammy

I left SR out intentionally. For me, they are too far away for early season consideration - unless, for some reason, they were the only player in the game...

deadheadskier

Staff member
They have to be T2B, no more Catapult chair!

Well they could open off the Tomcat chair or Bobcat for that matter. Unlike SR, K, Loon, Waterville, etc., that start their seasons by opening terrain with upper mountain lifts, the only reason to start blowing from the top at Wildcat is if they think they're going to preserve snow at the higher elevation. If they were looking to open as quick as possible to start the season, a trail off the Bobcat lift would make the most sense, then tie in to the top with Upper Catapult > Middle Wildcat.

Tin

Lynx would be a much better offering than what Killington serves up. Wildcat would definitely earn my early season business (assuming comparable pricing... I would love to see some 2fers like what Killington offers).

But wouldn't it be all groomed? At least K has Downdraft and Mousetrap open within 2 weeks of opening despite being short I look forward to those first bumps of the year.

MadMadWorld

But wouldn't it be all groomed? At least K has Downdraft and Mousetrap open within 2 weeks of opening despite being short I look forward to those first bumps of the year.

It's been a long time since I can remember them letting Lynx bump up. They used to allow the top part to bump up. I don't ski it as much as I used to so someone probably knows better than me.

Savemeasammy

Downdraft > Lynx.

I'm comparing Lynx to Killington's first TTB route through north ridge down snowdon.

I guess what's really important is who has what open at the same time...

yeggous

It's been a long time since I can remember them letting Lynx bump up. They used to allow the top part to bump up. I don't ski it as much as I used to so someone probably knows better than me.

Lynx is almost entirely groomed. The only exception is the side of the trail under the Tomcat Triple. As far as trails go, it is a high-end blue and very fun for high speed cruising. There are some fun banking turns on that trail. With the quad going you can pound out some serious vertical.

Newpylong

I rather ski Lynx any day over the other major player's early season T2B offerings.

A new (used?) lift up Lift Lion starting adjacent to where Catapult used to start would pretty much give them the nastiest early season around.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I rather ski Lynx any day over the other major player's early season T2B offerings.

A new (used?) lift up Lift Lion starting adjacent to where Catapult used to start would pretty much give them the nastiest early season around.

One of the triples pats peak bought from Ascutney would do the trick.

Edd

I've caught upper Lynx bumped up plenty of times.

Quietman

One of the triples pats peak bought from Ascutney would do the trick.

We're talking about Wildcat here, not K or SR that have a bed base. Adding a lift that would only be used for a short period every year just doesn't make sense. The lower mountain lifts are good insurance for the windiest days, while a light weight triple up top would be a fun toy for the wind to toss around. Spending 2 million on snowmaking is a large investment for Peaks considering the lower number of skier days at Wildcat. If it helps to bring more skiers, maybe they can do more in the future.

Smellytele

We're talking about Wildcat here, not K or SR that have a bed base. Adding a lift that would only be used for a short period every year just doesn't make sense. The lower mountain lifts are good insurance for the windiest days, while a light weight triple up top would be a fun toy for the wind to toss around. Spending 2 million on snowmaking is a large investment for Peaks considering the lower number of skier days at Wildcat. If it helps to bring more skiers, maybe they can do more in the future.
There used to be a lift there in the past and I wished they had left it there.

Newpylong

Yeah, by removing the Gondola and putting the Quad in where it was instead of putting it where Catapult was.

MikeTrainor

I wonder what the logic was with that. I think there were a few years after the express went in they would still operate the old gondola in the summer. A lift (catapult) like on this map from bobcat up would be great late season too when the bottom is mush.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1wildcatb.jpg
    1wildcatb.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 139

MadMadWorld

Yeah, by removing the Gondola and putting the Quad in where it was instead of putting it where Catapult was.

Wouldn't make much sense for early/late season.You would have to run 2 chairlifts anyways to get to higher elevation. That's the advantage Killington has....1 lift/1 trail. I loved skiing laps on the lift lines and then riding the Catapult lift back up but it doesn't offer any advantage for early/late.

If they could figure out how to have a midstation upload on a HSQ they would be golden. However, I don't think the insurance company would go for that.